• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has hardware acceleration under Linux been abandoned?

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature has been 'out' for many months now yet it's still disabled by default and incredibly unstable when enabled (via mms.cfg). Has the project been binned?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your video adapter and driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia G210

Driver v290.10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware acceleration for Flash has never worked. Hulu gives me no hardware acceleration, Youtube provides some, but it is unpredictable during playback. Normally, I get no hardware acceleration on any Flash content. Also OpenGL with Flash gives me poor performance. XVideo is better for my setup and should be included as a backup. Disabling hardware acceleration is the only way for Flash to work somewhat stable. Flash reliablity is a whole another can of worms.

My setup is GeForce8 8400M GS. I was using 290.10, but it has stability and reliability issues. I tried talking to nVidia and they are stubborn as a mule that 290.10 is stable and not even the 2xx.xx versions that they have is not stable enough for to use everyday. Hardware acceleration did not work at that driver version and with Flash version 11.1.102. I downgraded the drivers to 173.14.31. Flash version 9 works a lot better for me, but deverlopers prefer to use the bleeding edge version that they can get. This comes at a cost of my setup and others to not work.

Yes, I tested in mulitple Linux dstributions and each distribution that I try has the same problems

I will try this again because last time I state my problems to Adobe to fix a video playback issue that is the same as this and I got a run around with no suggestions on how to fix it.

BTW, please give me the ability to disable stage video because it added more to my problems with Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seeing 'accelerated video decoding' but 'software video rendering' on YouTube content. Doesn't look like I'll ever see properly accelerated Flash under Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend visiting the following bug and casting your vote:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2992148

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Come on Adobe! How much is Microsoft paying you guys to treat Linux users this way?

Dont blame the Nvidia drivers, they are 100% the same drivers accross platforms, dont treat us like this please!

I just installed Linux and shame on you that youtube is not GPU accelerated !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines