• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hyperlink works within RH but not in chm output

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH8, I created a hyperlink in a topic that refers back to a pdf file that I imported as a baggage file. What happens is that in the view, the pdf displays, as shown:

hyperlink1.png

. however, in the chm output, here's what displays:

chmoutput.png

any fix to this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I notice in the second image the Address bar shows that it is trying to locate the File inside the !SSL! folder and looking for PDF tp read from there, can yiou please try to copy and paste the PDF in that location where your Project resides, insde the SSL folder as the image 2 show the path.

Then Launch your CHM again and check the link to PDF?

Good luck!

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anjaneai,

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. Here is the path in the output

chm:

mk:@MSITStore

:C:\Callout%20Guide%20NERC%20Restricted\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\Callout_Guide_NERC_Restricted.chm::/!SSL!/Microsoft_HTML_Help/ABB%20Engagement%20Procedure.pdf.

Also, I got the message:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

Can you try one more thing, go to your RoboHelp project on the Hyper Link properties for the same PDF file. Istead of linking the Complete File browsing to its path put the exact File name( if you link the complete File too it would prompt you for the copying the PDF to your Project location and make sure it has been created and saved C:\Documents and Settings\User_Name\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects (in case you are using some other location for your project).

Now generate one more CHM output and check if the link to PDF is intact ( Display in-- Parent Frame).

Below is the PDF hyperlink setting I used which is working for me after generating output too.

19.JPG

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this second method, where I have just the document name in the Link to: field. I also changed Display to Parent Frame. I saved, RH crashed. I reopened and the hyperlink properties showed the doc name and Parent frame. When I viewed and selected link, the error was

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Why a web page?? It's a pdf in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually uses a Browser Window to display the content you wish to view, and it is not very specific in displaying the message for IE, its looks for the path in address bar, irrespective if it is on internet or on your computer.

Can you please do a small favor to be able to isolate the problem--

1) Create a New project (at C:\Documents and Settings\User_Name\My Documents\My RoboHelp Projects) with some content as Hyperlink

2) in Hyperlink properties -- Browse to LINK --> FILE file name as "File_Name.pdf" (it should prompt you would you link to move its copy to Porject location -- Choose -- YES)

3) Generate the CHM for the same in the same location.

Now  verify--

Is a copy of that PDF located in the Project Folder under My RoboHelp Projects?

Is the Hyper link working if you generate WebHelp output?

If you Right Click on Hyperlink and Choose save target as-- would it save the PDF file and launch it then?

I have tested with Various EXE, PDF, Graphic, Video , all works fine in even CHM output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would anyone save to the My Documents folder? I thought one should always save as close to the c: root as possible. for example, just save to c:\ projectname?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2011 Dec 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, Anjaneai works for Adobe and will follow therefore Adobe policy. It is not wrong in itself unless path names then become too long and we have seen that cause problems in some projects. For that reason on the forum we advise saving closer to the root.

Create the project where you like but then try what Anjaneai advises adapting the instructions as required. For the purposes of this test you could use the path that Anjaneai has advised.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatever happened with this issue? I am dealing with the same thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I resolved it not by the testing suggested by the Anjaneai because I didn't have the time to test. However, I believe I dumped the old baggage file, imported a new one, recreated the link to it in the topic, and then it worked. maybe that will work for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp