Skip navigation
redisred
Currently Being Moderated

DNG Profile Editor not working with new Profiles from LR 3.6?

Dec 28, 2011 3:45 PM

Tags: #profile #dng #editor #v4 #3.6

I'm noticing that DNG Profile Editor is not really able to work with profiles from newly supported cameras, like the X10. Apparently the profile spec has been updated. Has DNG Profile Editor been abandoned or will it be updated to work with the new spec? I really hope it is!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 31, 2011 6:23 AM   in reply to redisred

I ask this question on the Camera RAW forum and the answer was it will be updated, but it's not complete yet.  No forecast for release date. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

It's late February and I am not able to use DNG Profiler to modify my Nikon J1 Camera Profiles. In DNG Profile Editor 1.0.045 beta, the color on the profiles are all wrong, except for the Adobe Standard Profile, which is OK. I am exporting the DNG files from .NEF files, using the latest release version of Lightroom, 3.6.

If I use .NEF files from older Nikon cameras as a starting point, the color of the profiles is the same in DNG Profiler as in Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to BruceMcL

DNG PE will be soon updated to support the 1.4 specification (to be able to use, e.g., Nikon J1/V1 as Base Profile).  It's not ready yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Any rough estimate when the updated DNG PE will be available?  I want to run the Chart tab on the D700 v4 profiles. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Not sure yet.

BTW, running the Chart tab on the various Camera Matching profiles like the D700 v4 profiles probably won't have the effect you intend.  The vendor-matching color appearance are represented in a color lookup table, which is cleared (i.e., reset) when you run the Chart Wizard tab.  In effect you're "starting over" by running the Chart Wizard, so if you're planning to run the Chart Wizard anyways you might as well use it today ...

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

I have run the Chart tab on the various D700 Camera Profiles v0 and it does correct the color issues I have, but I understood that these profiles had some banding issues and the tone are not the same as the v4 profiles.  I have processed all D700 images using v4 profiles and assumed I could just replace them with v4 profiles run through the Chart tab without having to readjust the images.  I just tried running a v4 profile through the Chart tab of the current DNG PE and it appears to require the -0.5 exposure correction with the resulting profile. 

Were you recommending running the Chart Tab today using v4 profiles or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

In general if you plan to use the Chart Wizard tab, I suggest using the Adobe Standard as the Base Profile, because its color matrices get you a much closer starting point than the Camera Matching color profiles (e.g., Camera Standard).  The problem with using v3 or v4 profiles is that the color table has to do much stronger interpolation which tends to result in some smoothness problems (i.e., color transitions).

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks for the input.  I will give that a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

I tried the Chart Tab using Adobe Standard profile for the D700, but the Brightness and tone curves are not what I want.  I want these to match the Camera Profiles, but with correct colors.  I assumed I needed to use v4 profiles for this since the original Camera Profiles for the D700 brightness and tones are not the same. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

The tones should be pretty easy to match using a custom curve in the DNG Profile Editor (or my using a tone curve preset in ACR/LR).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

I await the updated DNG Profile Editor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Any progress on updating DNG Profile Editor to work with v4 profiles?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to redisred

I finally upgraded to Lightroom 4 recently. Using Process 2012 makes the need to edit the newer camera profiles more urgent. The new process treats the v.4 camera profiles very close to the way the 2010 process did. However the older profiles with the new process cause the image to become significantly lighter.

I know there are disclaimers warning about changes, but still... Adobe is not as careful about what happens with the older profiles when upgrading images to 2012 process. I would like to  have the opportunity to be as careful with my camera profiles as Adobe is with their recent profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to BruceMcL

It's been 3 months since MadManChan2000 said on March 2 that it would be ready soon.  Any forecast yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Sorry not yet.  We're preparing a broader DNG spec and SDK update and hope to release it soon along with the DNG Profile Editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks.  I am looking forward to editing the v4 profiles for the D700 - I just want to change a few colors in the existing profiles.  I think the existing v4 profiles do an excellent job of matching the Nikon colors, but I don't like a few of the Nikon colors.  Some colors have too much Red, but Red is too Orange. 

I have selected a number of images that have colors I want to change.  I selected the Camera Neutral (v0) and Camera Portrait (v0) and using the latest DNG Profile Editor I select the 18 colors from the Color Checker Chart.  I then use the images that have the colors I want to change and determine which of the 18 points I selected from the Color Checker are close.  I then edit those points - only 6 points.  I only need to change the Hue by 5 units or less.  I don't change any of the other selected points of the Color Checker, but feel that by selecting them I locked in the exisiting colors.  Hope this is a good aproach. 

I wish Nikon would do something equivalent to the DNG Profile Editor for their Picture Control profiles so they could be edited and loaded into the camera.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to redisred

Thanks for keeping us updated MadManChan2000. I can understand the "mission creep." It looks to me like there are other areas in DNG that need attention and updating as much as the profile editor does.

b2martin_a, a few comments:

1. From trial and error I think that "locking in" colors in DNG Profile Editor is a good idea. The "Show Affected Colors" option in the Options menu tends to confirm this, although I don't know how accurate it is.

2. Also from trial and error, you may want to check out the D300S profiles on your D700 images. They don't have the banding that you mentioned on the D700 profiles, but the colors are very similar. They might make a better starting point for use with the current DNG Profile Editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to BruceMcL

BruceMcL, thanks for the input.  After writing the above post I decided to try using the D700 Camera Portrait v4 and see if it's possible to get what I want by using the HSL sliders.  I get very close to what I want by adjusting the Hue sliders for Red = -20 and Orange = +15.  I will use this approach until the updated DNG Profile Editor is available to allow editing v4 profiles. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Any updates on when the DNG Profile Editor update will be available?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

Yes, we're in the midst of preparing the full DNG spec and SDK update, along with related software.  I don't have a specific date that I can tell you now, but it'll be rather soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Thanks for the update.  I am looking forward to the DNG Profile Editor update. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Any update on when the DNG Profile Editor update will be available?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

Any day now.  Wish I could give you a firmer date, but this time it really is "days" rather than "weeks" or "months."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

2 Oct 2012

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Yammer

I have the new version now, and it's working on my Mac. Thank you for your work on this. I suggest that people download the new DNG Converter as well. On my Mac, the DNG Conterter software updates the profiles used by the DNG Profile Editor, adding profiles for the newest cameras supported by Adobe.

I have a question, but I will start a new thread for that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points