Skip navigation
Psycho_babble1964
Currently Being Moderated

Editing Adjustment Layers Not Working

Dec 28, 2011 7:50 PM

Using Photoshop Elements 10.  I am unable to edit an Adjustment Layer.  When I doubleclick the layer thumbnail or click layer content options, nothing happens.  This is the case with new files as well as files that had adjustment layers created with Photoshop Elements 6.  Fill layers work ok, but adjustment layers such as Levels and Hue/Saturation won't work....need help desperately.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2011 7:55 PM   in reply to Psycho_babble1964

The usual thing to try when PSE is acting strangely is to re-set the Preferences:  Hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys while clicking the icon to launch the Editor.  Answer "Yes" to the prompt to delete the Preferences.  Start the Editor and the Preferences will be re-built.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 7:59 PM   in reply to Psycho_babble1964

In PSE 10 it's no longer possible to change the type of adjustment layer via Layer content options. If you want to edit the settings for the adjustment layer, you just click the layer in the layers panel and change whatever in the adjustments panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 8:08 PM   in reply to Psycho_babble1964

Yep, it's a useful trick, for sure,.

Glad to help.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Psycho_babble1964

Hi guys

I am fairley new to Photoshop, and I have just got cs5, can anyone shed light on this issue:

When ever i set my document to CMYK mode, some of my adjustment layers become 'un-selectable'  such as the Black & White, vibrance and the exposure adjustment layers?   

They work fine in RGB mode but was curious if this was common place?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Apple Custard Studios

You'll need to post your question in the Photoshop forum.  This forum is for Photoshop Elements which is quite different in that respect.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to photodrawken

Good evening.  I am using PSE 11 Mac version and I am having the same issue as the original post.  I am unable to edit adjustment layers.  No problem with fill layers.

I have tried your solution, which worked on deleting the file, but PSE 11 is still not letting me do anything with the adjustment layers.

As an FYI, I am also unable to select any of the "Window" menu selections, such as "Actions", "Histogram", etc.  I am attaching a quick screen capture to show the menue that I am talking about.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.  Thank you all.

Adobe PSE 11 Screen.jpg

Message was edited by: kabestudios

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to kabestudios

I'm not sure about your first problem (need more detail), but for the second one, try clicking the arrow on the right of the More button at the very botom of the page and choosing there, or choose Custom Workspace there and then try.

You have tried deleting prefs already?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:38 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Good evening.

The "More" button does nothing.

When I try to select anything from the menu, the selections will show a check mark next to whatever item I pick, but no windows will appear.

As for deleting prefs, I tried what was suggested at the beginning of the thread by doing a "Shift+Option(Alt)+Command" before opening PSE 11 and clicked "Yes" when prompted to delete the file, but I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly because it doesn't seem to be resetting...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to kabestudios

At this point, I would uninstall (use the uninstaller in the Applications>PSE 11 folder. If you use any kind of antivirus software, be sure to disable that during the install.

Also, it's best not to start multiple threads on the same problem. It just causes confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 11:33 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

I will end my comments on this thread. 

I've updated the thread that I started so that we won't have any more confusion.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points