Skip navigation
Billy Sheahan 27 posts
Nov 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

"unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Dec 29, 2011 11:25 AM

Tags: #error #metadata #lightroom_3.6 #silver_efex_pro #sep #error_while_writing_metadata

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm having an issue with Lightroom 3.6 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 2.003. After round tripping from LR to SEP, the TIF file created in Lightroom and modified in SEP cannot update metadata when returned back to Lightroom 3.6. Reverting to LR 3.5 seems to solve the issue. I have found others on various forums with a similar issue involving SEP and/or other 3rd party plugins with LR 3.6.

Lengthy troubleshooting details below:

Working in Lightroom 3.6/Camera RAW 6.6 and SEP2 v. 2.003 x64. Also I am running Mac OSX 10.7.2 Lion and using Photoshop CS 5.5 v12.1.

Edit RAW file in SEP2 as TIF image, make adjustments in SEP2 and save. Back in Lightroom new SEP version appears in Lightroom catalog, BUT as soon as I make any changes to SEP version of image, (change rating, develop further... any change at all) the image suddenly gets flagged with the ! metadata error.

If I try to export metadata back to image, I get a "There was an unknown error while writing metadata to this photo. Retry?" error. I can choose Import Settings from Disk, Cancel or Retry Metadata Export.

If I choose Retry, I get the same error. If I choose Import Settings from Disk, it changes my file back to the state it was immediately following the SEP save and the ! goes away, but as soon as I try to make any new metadata change, I'm back to the same ! error.

This happens with RAW files from a 5D Mark II and a Leica X1 that have been converted to DNG during Lightroom import. I have no other cameras to experiment with. My SEP2 workflow has remain unchanged and this is a problem that has only started to occur in the last few weeks.

Additionally, if I open a RAW file from Lightroom into SEP, letting SEP launch with the image, but choose cancel before making any SEP adjustments, the TIF file Lightroom created to open in SEP is not affected by this. In other words, as long as I don't let SEP save over the new TIF file, I don't have any metadata errors.

Even if I open the "corrupt" TIF file in Photoshop and resave it with a different file name and import the renamed file back into Lightroom, Lightroom cannot make any metadata changes without incurring the ! error on the file.

I have optimized and tested the integrity of my Lightroom Catalog and uninstalled and reinstalled SEP2 v. 2.003 and I have the same results.

Every time I use SEP2 with Lightroom 3.6 to make a B&W conversion, I'm left with what *appears* to be a damaged file. When I try to export any SEP2 processed TIF file from Lightroom as the original file (no resizing or any change to the file) Lightroom gives me an error saying, "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged."

If I export the file as a JPG, Lightroom manages to export it properly. Very strange.

As a final test, I opened one of the original DNG files directly in Photoshop, used SEP2 from within Photoshop and saved the new TIF file. I imported that into my Lightroom catalog and I have no metadata issues with the file created from SEP2 in Photoshop rather than Lightroom. My issue appears to be limited to Lightroom 3.6.

Reverting to Lightroom 3.5 seems to solve the issue and happily, all of my SEP TIFs can now accept metadata changes. The original TIF files can also be exported from LR without errors and there appears to be no permanent damage to the post SEP processed TIF files.

I have also posted this on the Nik forums so they are in the loop on this issue.

If anyone has any other solutions or workarounds, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.

Billy

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Ah, thanks for that discovery. I was starting to get really worried. I started having similar problems. Corrupted files - old files that were imported and worked on extensively in the past.  I am also using LRM 3.6 and SEP2. Suddenly I see these corruption messages and warning messages about "error while writing metadata". I will do some tests to see if they correlate with SEP/LRM3.6. I have found it in files that were not touched by SEP. On the other hand I may simply go back to LRM 3.5 and see if it goes away.

cheers

Gerald

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 8:28 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Thanks, billyphoto, for your excellent detailing of this "There was an unknown error while writing metadata to this photo", which is an issue I, too, am having. I am not, however, using SEP2, but Nik Color Efex Pro 4. And the ! metadata error seems to only show after a roundtrip edit in CEFP4 from Lightroom (3.6 -- on my Mac 10.7.2), but only after assigning that edited photo to a collection. Before adding to the collection, no ! metadata error. But after adding to a collection, the ! metadata error appears in both the collection image and in the Library's film strip. Like you, when if I choose "Import Settings from Disk", it changes my file back to the state it was preceding the CEFP4 edits and the ! goes away -- but then I've lost all those CEPF4 edits. I've learned, therefore, to just ignore the ! metadata error (without any apparent subsequent problems), at least for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 3:03 PM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Wow, just got SEP2 and Lightroom is at 3.6 and I thought I was going nuts. I "think" the bug is introduced in the creation of the TIF file.  If I manually create a TIF first via export, and edit the original in SEP2, it comes back OK, even when I add subsequent LR edits.  It will export to a dng.  That is UNTIL I manually "save metadata to disk" on the TIF file edited with SEP2.  (I do have "Automatically write changes into xmp" set). 

If I export the edited TIF to another TIF specifying "original" format, LR will complain that the file is damaged, BUT if I export the edited TIF specifying TIF instead of "original" the export works. 

This is no help for users but maybe a clue for the LR folks at Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to uncarvedblocktcb

P.S. Reverting to LR 3.5 fixes it for me as well.  Lightroom 3.6 introduces some bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 12:43 PM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Reverted back to 3.5, all problems I mentioned went away, nice and stable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to gerblo

So I wonder is this a NIK issue or Adobe issue? What's involved with reverting to LR 3.5? Will Lose all my presets and plugins?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Tom Husband

Reverting back to Lr3.5 should not impact on your presets, etc

Info on issue has been passed to Lr QE for review.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Good to know. Thanks.

How do I revert to 3.5? Do I uninstall 3.6 first or install on top of?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Tom Husband

With Mac you just drag the the Lightroom application from App folder to trash. With Windows you'll need to use the uninstall feature

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Hi,

I'm wondering whether this is another incarnation of the (in)famous keywording bug that we had in SEP before the latest update. It had been revealed by a new version of LR but the "culprit" was actually SEP which was not handling metadata correctly. It seems that we'll again get into another "their bug - not mine" exchange series between Adobe and Nik Software.

My two cents...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

I have discovered a workaround which is working fine (... for me with two mouseclicks):

Immediately after the SEP Processing I run a predefined export to replace the SEP-TIFF with an exported duplicate TIFF. After that it is possible to write LR changes to the file with no problems.

(Sorry, English is not my native language)

LR SEP.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to hjklemenz

I have discovered a workaround which is working fine (... for me with two mouseclicks):

Immediately after the SEP Processing I run a predefined export to replace the SEP-TIFF with an exported duplicate TIFF. After that it is possible to write LR changes to the file with no problems.

This is the solution I was about to test. Thanks for confirming that it works.

MfG.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

This is the solution I was about to test. Thanks for confirming that it works.

MfG.

Ooops! It seems that it works for you on a Mac (right?) but not under Windows. LR refuses to overwrite the existing file even when selecting "Overwrite without warning". Sigh!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to hjklemenz

hklemenz wrote:

Are you running LR 3.6 ? Under Windows, I don't have the "Add to stack" option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Samoreen

I don't have the "Add to stack" option either.  I'm on Win 7 and can do around trip to Color Efex Pro/Silver Efex Pro but when I export to the same location as a TIF the error message is still there.

For now I'm taking it in to CS4 as a smart object and that seems prevent the error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Hi

I am not able to login into the forum ... don’t know why.

I am on Windows 7 ... LR 3.6 ... SEP 2.003 ... and it works.

Von: Samoreen forums@adobe.com

Gesendet: Samstag, 7. Januar 2012 16:50

An: hklemenz

Betreff: Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6 "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

created by Samoreen <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Samoreen>  in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4123716#4123716

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to Tom Husband

Yes, the error message could be still there ... but you can read or write the metadatas and the error message will disappear ...

Von: Tom Husband forums@adobe.com

Gesendet: Samstag, 7. Januar 2012 17:19

Betreff: Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6 "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

created by Tom Husband <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Tom+Husband>  in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4123784#4123784

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to hjklemenz

Hi,

I'm using XP Pro and SEP 2.003 and there's no way to get this working. When I try to export a TIF file with the same name as the TIF file created for SEP2, LR immediately stops the export because "The destination for photo xxxxx.tif would replace the existing photo." . If I export and rename, the new TIF file is created but there's no way to save the metadata. The "Exclaim" icon is still there and will not disappear after trying to save new metadata.

Although the progress bar in the upper left corner of the LR window seems to indicate that the metadata are saved, they are not. I checked this with ExiftoolGUI.

If the metadata are actually saved in your case, it would be interesting that you describe accurately each step of your procedure. There must be something that you are doing that I am missing.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Yes, I will certainly do that ... but need some time for screenshots etc. this night.

Here my PC configuration as an advanced information:

Lightroom version: 3.6 Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

Version: 6.1 Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Physical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 8191.2 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8191.2 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 199.9 MB (2.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 185.0 MB

Memory cache size: 172.0 MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1680x1050, 2) 1680x1050

Serial Number: xxxxx

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6

Library Path: C:\Users\hklemenz\Pictures\Lightroom_001\Lightroom_001.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\hklemenz\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Remark: I strongly believe that there must be a communication conflict between WXP and LR in case of overwriting a file with the same filename. Could be that LR is not able to prompt the WXP warning in a correct way. Could also be a timing problem between WXP/W7 and LR.

Gesendet: Montag, 9. Januar 2012 14:00

created by Samoreen <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Samoreen>  in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4126202#4126202

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to Samoreen

OK, let me try to describe the process step by step.

Basis is a *.DNG master picture.

The option in the catalog settings “Automatically write changes into XMP” is

checked (activ)

I hand over this DNG to SEP Pro 2.003 and made some changes in SEP and than

come back to LR. A TIFF was created.

And immediately after that I run the export to the same location and the

same filename (without any changes in LR at this point in time)

and get the result without any warning regarding metadata conflicts. I can

make now some changes in LR (more stars, Color mark, crop the picture etc.).

The metadata are saved in the file w/o any conflict.

I am able to read and write metadata w/o any errors or warnings.

Hope this helps.

regards, Hans Joerg

P.S. Somtime I have recognized that I have got some metadata warnings when I

export JPG files with the same method (but w/o any involvement of SEP - just

pure LR). But this warnings can be solved by read or write metadata again.

As I mentioned in my post above I believe that there are some (timing)

issues with the communication LR/W7

Gesendet: Montag, 9. Januar 2012 14:00

Betreff: Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6 "unknown error while writing metadata" error

while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver

Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6

created by Samoreen <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Samoreen>  in Photoshop

Lightroom - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4126202

Hi,

I'm using XP Pro and SEP 2.003 and there's no way to get this working. When

I try to export a TIF file with the same name as the TIF file created for

SEP2, LR immediately stops the export because "The destination for photo

xxxxx.tif would replace the existing photo." . If I export and rename, the

new TIF file is created but there's no way to save the metadata. The

"Exclaim" icon is still there and will not disappear after trying to save

new metadata.

Although the progress bar in the upper left corner of the LR window seems to

indicate that the metadata are saved, they are not. I checked this with

ExiftoolGUI.

If the metadata are actually saved in your case, it would be interesting

that you describe accurately each step of your procedure. There must be

something that you are doing that I am missing.

Thanks in advance.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not

directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply

to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at

Re: "unknown error while writing metadata" error while working in Silver Efex Pro2 and Lightroom 3.6. In the Actions box on the

right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email

<mailto:discussions-community-lightroom@mail.forums.adobe.com>  or at Adobe

Forums

<http://forums.adobe.com/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&cont ainer

Type=14&container=3316>

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please

go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746> .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to hjklemenz

Hi,

hklemenz wrote:

OK, let me try to describe the process step by step.

Thanks for taking the time to detail the procedure. The main difference with my settings is that I have disabled “Automatically write changes into XMP” for performance reasons. I will check this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Samoreen

I have made some tests with LR 4 Beta and SEP 2.003: Same metadata issue as with LR 3.6 and SEP 2.003

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

The main difference with my settings is that I have disabled “Automatically write changes into XMP” for performance reasons. I will check this.

I re-enabled this option but this didn't change anything. No way to save the metadata in the TIF file. I'm not sure that it is a Lightroom problem, though. The keywording bug in SEP 2 (which was rather similar : metadata messing in the TIF file) has been fixed by Nik Software, not by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Same problem here, on LR3.6 and just tested on LR4 and it is right there as well. It happens with pictures edited on either Silver Efex Pro 2 or Color Efex Pro 4. Not sure it is up to us to figure out if this is something to be fixed by Adobe or Nik Software, no ? Both products are supposed to work together for us. Has anyone logged a but either on Adobe or Nik. I'm not sure how to do it. But it has been VERY annoying and my hopes for this to be Ok on LR4 are no more... Any suggestions on how t expedite this fix ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Just tried Adobe. Let's see: http://gsfn.us/t/2l7gf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to CelsoDiniz

CelsoDiniz wrote:

Not sure it is up to us to figure out if this is something to be fixed by Adobe or Nik Software, no ?

Correct. But if you are waiting for Adobe or Nik Software to spontaneously admit that they are responsible for this bug, you're very optimistic. Remember the "keywording mess" bug in SEP 2. It was an obvious bug that should have been detected during the quality insurance process at Nik Software. However, a "their problem, not ours" session has immediately begun and it took months until a user demonstrated where the problem actually was. We eventually got a fix after a lot of message postings and complaints.

This one is exactly the same kind of bug for which it's not obvious where the problem lies. Now that Adobe are working on LR 4, I have no hope to see all those long lasting bugs that are still not fixed corrected in a 3.7 or 3.6.x release. On the Nik Software side, they are as reactive as a mari...na smoking snail and I have no hope either to see this fixed very soon. At this time, they don't even answer the questions about this problem on their forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Man, considering I did not live through the "keywording mess" bug and that was my first post against your 375+ I would say I am probably being naive :-) Let's just hope they are gonna say something. I tried both sides. Happy 2012 !

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:57 AM   in reply to CelsoDiniz

Hi,

I just got an answer from the Nik Software support. They are aware of the problem but the only solution that is suggested for the moment is to downgrade to LR 3.5. If I remember well, this was also the kind of suggestion that was made when we had the keywording bug. It took months to get a fix. It seems that a similar cycle has just begun .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Oh boy... any quick tip on how to downgrade ? Never did on this direction...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to CelsoDiniz

CelsoDiniz wrote:

Here is the download link : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5256

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

I had the same problem with NIK HDR EFX and 3.6 but NIK just put out an update this past week and the problem seemst o have gone away...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to folgerj

folgerj wrote:

I had the same problem with NIK HDR EFX and 3.6 but NIK just put out an update this past week and the problem seemst o have gone away...

Good news! Strangely enough, the keywording bug was also fixed in HDR Efex before being fixed in SEP 2. Communication problems at Nik Software ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

Just received this from NIK:

Thank you for contacting Nik Software.  As our engineers are looking into exactly what is causing this issue, the quickest fix is to reinstall Lightroom 3.5.  It seems to be only Lightroom 3.6 that receives this error, and so far reinstalling version 3.5 is the only consistent fix.  You should be able to reinstall 3.5 without uninstalling 3.6 first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

CelsoDiniz wrote:

Here is the download link : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5256

I've been working with Nik CEfex 4 for a while now and never received the error so either the problem doesn't exist in CEfex 4 or I've been lucky.  However, my very first HDR merge using the latest Nik HDR Efex Pro under 3.6 failed with this error.

Downgrading to 3.5 solved the problem for me.

FYI the Mac link to LR 3.5 is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5255

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Billy Sheahan

having the same problem I figured a way around it:

- edit your image (as a copy) in SEP2

- process/ close SEP2

- stripp all the metadata from the created file with the help of exiftool (you can also use exiftoolgui)

- copy all the metadata from the original file to the edited file again with the help of exiftoolgui

- read the metadata with LR

- you will in most cases a strange looking image with wrong colors and contrast - this can be corrected by resetting the image in development module

- now you can do all the edits / taggings /... without furteher problems

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to dasar

Hi,

dasar wrote:

having the same problem I figured a way around it:

It seems that the problem has been fixed in the very last release of Color Efex 4 (4.002). So I guess that we just have to wait for the next release of SEP 2. Apparently, Nik Software are updating all their plugins since about 2 weeks. Of course, the fix will not do anything to the files that have their metadata already corrupted. So you method applies in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Hi,

FYI

Received yesterday from the Nik Software support:

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the metadata issue you are experiencing in Lightroom and our products. We have isolated the issue and should be releasing a patch soon for all of our affected software. The recent update to Color Efex Pro 4, ver 4.002, resolves this issue. Thank you for your patience.

The Silver Efex Pro 2 update should be released shortly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

Received yesterday from the Nik Software support:

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the metadata issue you are experiencing in Lightroom and our products. We have isolated the issue and should be releasing a patch soon for all of our affected software. The recent update to Color Efex Pro 4, ver 4.002, resolves this issue. Thank you for your patience.

The Silver Efex Pro 2 update should be released shortly.

I asked yesterday the Nik support about "how soon shortly is". The answer was : "within a couple of weeks".

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points