Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Smart Guides appear and then disappear

Dec 30, 2011 4:09 PM

I'm working with the type tool, and need to expand the text box, so I enabled Smart Guides, but they only appeared for a moment, and then disappeared. I tried command-H to hide and show them, and again, when I do this, they show for only a moment, and then disappear.

Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2011 4:29 PM   in reply to rlinsurf1

I think Windows Ctrl+U and Mac Cmd+U is for Smart Guides, not Ctrl/Cmd+H which is for I think bounding boxes or edges.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 4:47 PM   in reply to markerline

Correction:

Windows: Ctrl+U = Smart Guides

Shift+Ctrl+B = Bounding Box

Ctrl+H = Edges

Mac: Replace Windows Ctrl key with CMD key for the above shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 5:15 PM   in reply to rlinsurf1

Anytime.  If you ever need to know keyboard shortcuts just look for the appropriate command in the Illustrator or any software's menu.  If it has a keyboard shortcut it will list it.  Example File>New = Ctrl+N / Cmd+N

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 9:10 AM   in reply to rlinsurf1

Take a look at this link:

http://layersmagazine.com/making-the-bounding-box-disappear-just-for-a -second.html

It seems if you do a web search for the topic of bounding boxes disappearing in Illy then you'll get some results.  You're not the first to ask about this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 12:28 PM   in reply to rlinsurf1

Holy smokes!  I thought this was an Adobe Illustrator question!  Photoshop is entirely different, well in many ways it is different.  Can you provide the steps you are taking to replicate this problem?  usually the bounding box appears only when you are trying to Transform or Free Transform a Layer, even if it is a non-rasterized Type/Text Layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to rlinsurf1

Thanks for that description and I now see what you are not doing correctly.

When you are placing the type you get a registration point either Left, Center or Right under the text as well as an underscore.  While you are still in that mode you can hit CMD (Ctrl on Windows) and you are temporarily entering the Transform tool.  After you let go of the key the "Bounding Box" disappears because you have left the Transform tool.  To enter the Transform Tool hit Cmd+T which is "Free Transform" and you can resize your text layer.  You have to Commit to the changes by hitting Enter after you make the transformation or if it is not to your liking you can hit Escape to exit the Transformation.

Smart Guides do not apply in this case though I have never used them in Photoshop, just Illustrator which is why I thought initially this was an Illustrator question.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points