Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No sound when importing AVCHD MTS files into premiere cs5.5

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have footage that was shot with the sony nx sf-100 and it is ACVHD mts files.

when I import the files to the bin, it is being imported without sound (no sound track at all when dragged into the timeline).

The footage has sound - that has been confirmed.

I am working in an AVCHD sequence and I'm importing the files using the media browser.

There are many refrences to this problem online - but all give the solution of recompresing the videos in a new format, although every documentaion cliams that premiere is supposed to take AVCHD natively including sound.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks,

Oded

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oded,

Have you copied the ENTIRE file folder structure from the Sony camera card to your hard drive? It is important to retain ALL the files, and if you only are using the .mts files by themselves, other needed files and parts may be missing. You are correct to use the Media Browser for import, but verify you are starting with all available media.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reponse Jeff

Yes- I have coppied the entire file structre - and in fact - the media browser shows the clips with sound (the small speaker symbol above the filmstrip symbol), but when I import from the media browswer - it copies it without sound (showing only the filmstrip symbol)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oded,

Please check to see if Premiere is updated to version 5.5.2 as these patches often fix quirks like you are seeing

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's version 5.5.2...

any other ideas?

Thanks,

Oded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a web search for "fs100 no sound in premiere" and got a LOT of hits. It appears that Premiere has issues with the AVCHD format when the included audio is PCM format, and more specifically this may be a 1080 60p issue.

Perhaps you can convert the .mts files to .mov or something using free software like Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip? Something to try, though no one likes work arounds.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - I'm trying to avoid coverting the videos...

Once in while someone says in the forum that he solved it, but doesn't specify how. hoped ADOBE would have the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928438

I've looked at the audio structures at a low-level. The format of the audio is exactly the same as 30fps footage, so it should be a simple fix for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>should be a simple fix for Adobe

Did you file a bug report?

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Just install "MainConcept codec suite" then you'll be able to import MTS files without any problem..

Hope this helps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CS6 added support for AVCHD files with PCM audio, but this support is not in 5.5.x. AVCHD files with Dolby audio should be supported in CS5.5.x, though. You can download a trial version of CS6 to verify your files import with audio correctly. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent,

My Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 imports my Sony NX5 clips with PCM audio perfectly.  Am I just lucky?

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My apologies. I beleive I mixed up my versions for support. 5.5.x should support PCM audio. Thank you, Jeff.

I have confirmed that I am indeed getting audio with files from a Sony NEX FS-100 camera, with CS5.5.2 on my systems. Oded, would it be possible to send me a sample file that exhibits this issue for you?

Things to try are deleting your Media cache (Preferences > Media > Media Cache Database, click Clean button). Make certain that your copy of Premiere Pro is activated: check under Help menu you should see "Deactivate..." noted.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines