Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DPS subscriptions: Background Downloads working?

Jan 2, 2012 5:57 PM

Last week I subscribed to The New Yorker to test iTunes subscriptions, Adobe DPS and Newsstand.

The newest issue "January 9, 2012" appears in my newsstand, but without the red badge on the newsstand icon, no notification at all and not downladed.

when I tap the new cover in the newsstand rack, the New Yorker App just starts and displays the old issue I was reading before.

Is this the supposed behaviour?

I thought the newest issue will be downladed in the background (background downloads are activated in settings)

—Johannes

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I have a subscription to the New Yorker, also. Newstand behavior is inconsistent -- sometimes it indicates a new edition is available, sometimes, not. Sometimes the latest edition has been downloaded in the background, most often not. Downloading can be painful -- zips along to the very end then hangs. I need to delete what I have, then start over.

I usually archive an edition after I've read it. I often get notifications that an updated version is available -- what does that mean????

That said, the iPad version of the New Yorker is really great. My printed copy rarely gets opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 12:38 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Johannes,

Was you device connected to WIFI when you expected the background download? Background download does not occur on 3G connections

With kind regards,

Klaasjan Tukker

Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 1:00 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

I've just come on the forum to ask about dowmloading Wired and Project magazines. Pretty much since newsstand, downloading them has been very painful!

So wanted to ask if it was just me, seems not. It also doesnt seem to be an Adobe thing, although "project" magazine is woodwing, so may be they are using the Adobe solution now.

But anyway, downloading magazines for me has now become a pain!!

hope some one can sort it out, and I'm always on wifi.

cheers

alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Hi Johannes

Remember the Guardian is a bespoke app, and they may have written their own code for the "new" badge. we dont get that with DPS.

Are you not having problems with Wired. Wired does not download in the background for me either.

What do yo think of Project? I'm a bit bored of it now, and I hate the very poor typography in it, Thet must use web guys to put it together who

have no idea about type!!

Cheers

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I think the problem is that when the iPad goes to sleep the wifi switches off. I read somewhere that Adobe were going to be able to overide this

but that doesnt seem to have happened so far. I havent manually changed how long it takes before the ipad goes into sleep mode, have you tried this to see if that helps? I know its still not background loading, maybe you do this anyway?

Alistair

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Today latest New Yorker had downloaded in the background and was ready for viewing when I opened the library. This is a rare occurance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to johnm64

FYI - We are working with several publishers trying to improve the reliability of background downloading. Some use Adobe's notification service, others use their own. Plus we have Apple and iOS in the mix with their rules around newstand notifications and when they allow an app to wake up. It's an intricate system that's requiring some time to perfect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

What is the latest from Adobe on background downloads? The full story would be nice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points