Skip navigation
nikkim602
Currently Being Moderated

flash player keeps crashing

Jan 6, 2012 4:35 PM

Tags: #flash #crash

I feel like this is becoming a yearly occurrence.  Flash is the most unstable part of my computer it seems. 

A few days ago flash player started crashing on my again - I'm on windows 7, 64 bit, using firefox 9.0.1.  I've used the flash uninstall to remove the program.  After that's done I've gone into the program files to make sure it's completely removed.  I've reinstalled flash.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If it doesn't work, I try again until it does.  It then only works until I shut down my computer and restart again.  I'm getting a little weary of uninstalling and reinstalling flash player every time I turn on my laptop.  Any help would be appreciated.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to nikkim602

What is your display adapter and driver version?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to nikkim602

On Windows 7:

• right-click on the 'Computer' icon on the desktop and select Properties
    • on the System panel that pops up, click on Device Manager on the left hand pane
    • click on the drop-down ( ) left of Display Adapter; this will list your display adapter
    • right-click on it and select Properties
    • click on the Driver tab; this will show you the driver date and version

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to nikkim602

Go to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and let the utility check if there is a newer driver available.  I am quite sure there is; the latest Intel driver version is 8.15.10.2559.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to nikkim602

P.S. regarding the Intel Driver Update Utility: I have never been able to get it to run on Firefox; it works fine on Internet Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to nikkim602

Great; thanks for the feedback!

I have also just created a new FAQ entry with instructions how to update video drivers on Windows: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to nikkim602

What is the web site?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to nikkim602

No idea what is causing your crashes on those sites, I have no trouble with them but I use I.E.9. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to nikkim602

I have no trouble viewing these sites with Firefox (Waterfox, respectively) 9.

I wonder if it is really Flash Player that is crashing, as I cannot detect any Flash content on the second site you mention.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to nikkim602

I can play games at pogo.com; can you try with Hardware Acceleration disabled?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to nikkim602

That page has three places where you can right click and get the Flash Player menu, the first two have a greyed out Settings but the third has a Settings you can click.  It is near the bottom of the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to Carl E. Myers Jr.

Windows 7 Pro ( up to date

)Sites affected... I can visit youtube.com, but as soon as i click on ANY video link within youtube.com it will crash the browser.The same happens when using facebook, I can browse my feed for instance, but if I click to play a youtube link that's embedded in the feed, it will crash in the same way.

This is the order.

1.I visit youtube.com

2.I click on any video

3. It hangs for about 10 seconds, Chrome is unresponsive at this moment.

4. I leave it.

5.Then Chrome.exe – Application Error pops up   The instruction at 0x1008385b referenced memory at 0xa7cf7808. The memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program.

6.I click ok

7. The page inserts a yellow banner just below the search bar saying...The following prlug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash.

It's similar case for latest Firefox and IE.

I've tried this, but again it does not fix the problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in- google-chrome/#comment-172843

I've also used the flash uninstaller, to uninstall the lot. and then revert back to Flash 10.

Which does not work, and still causes my browser to crash.

FYI - this computer has been wiped and had a clean install of win7. It's less than a week old

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to Oliver Gardiner

To assist us in quickly understanding your problem, please follow these guidelines when posting:

• Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
    • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
    • Specify your Flash Player version 

Please do not use existing topics to append questions that are entirely different from the original topic. When in doubt create a new topic.

In your new thread, also supply the following information.

Video adapter and driver version.

Files in folders C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to nikkim602

What you need to do is to maintain your computer and perform a little maintenance activities on it to get rid of such crashes.Flash Player Crash is not something unique happened to you.

Sometimes there is a dreadful total crash and sometime it sends different errors, upon restarting nothing happens.

I also faced this error many times but i fixed it.The below given guidelines allow you to take measures to find an easy solution to the problem.

--Try to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player Active-X and Plug-in components and then reinstall Shockwave Flash Player

-- Try to use the latest Flash Player

-- Update the drivers that control your PC.

-- Fix your Windows Registry which is a highly recommended thing you should do to find a quick and reliable fix for common PC errors and crashes.

I also got some help from this article to fix  flash player crash

Hope it fix your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to nikkim602

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jan 24, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to nikkim602

Besides the typical troubleshooting steps, another thing I'd suggest is taking a look at our beta release (11.2 beta 4 was released last week.)  These builds contain many of the worst crashes reported in the previous release in addition to new functionality.

If the beta release doesn't help, we'd definitely like to hear from you.  You can find out additional details in this FAQ:

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to nikkim602

Sorry I missed the reply.  Can you enable hidden files and folders and look for the appdata folder again?  Alternatively you can open a file browser window and type "%appdata%" and that should navigate you immediately to the appropriate folder.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

IT'S WORKING!!!

This is what I did and it's working so far, but we'll see if it works in the near future (like tomorrow).

I updated my graphics and RAID drivers from this post:  Go to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and let the utility check if there is a newer driver available.  I am quite sure there is; the latest Intel driver version is 8.15.10.2559.

Then, I updated my video driver from this post: 

I have also just created a new FAQ entry with instructions how to update video drivers on Windows: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

I updated the to the newest flash player and when I first used hulu.com, it would play sound, but no video.  Then, I installed a flash patch for 10.1 and video is working now, but I'm not sure if everything is correct, so I'll see how long it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 9:49 PM   in reply to bruintennis!

Doesn't work anymore.  Not sure why it stopped working, but after a while it stops, then I had to restart computer and still not working.  bummer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Carl E. Myers Jr.
    • Specify your operating system (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
    • Specify your web browser and version (including 32bit or 64bit edition) 
    • Specify your Flash Player version 

Windows 7 64bit edition

Firefox 13.0.1

newer Flash Player 11.3.300.257

Updated drivers

I have tried all of the sugesstions that I have seen on this site and everything has not worked. The flash player is still crashing and I am not sure why. I even uninstalled it twice and reinstalled it. It did not start crashing until I updated it to this new version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to loveablebaby

I have had this same problem for a few weeks now.  I have the same info as loveablebaby & I am frustrated beyond belief.  My computer/flash player has run fine for about 11 months & all of a sudden Flash Player will NOT keep working.  I have update, uninstalled & reinstalled.  I live on Pogo, FaceBook & Steam...is there some other player that can be used?  I'm feeling the same...that it's since I've updated to the newest version of Flash Player.    PS3 is looking better & better.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to nikkim602

Flash Player 11.3.300.262 introduces some stability fixes that should help folks experiencing random crashes in Firefox on Windows 7 and Windows Vista.  You'll want to update to Firefox 13.0.1 as well, if you're using Firefox 13.  You can find the latest Flash Player at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

This could be a couple things.  Please provide some additional information to help us narrow this down.

1.) Type "about:crashes" in your address bar, and copy the links for the time period where you encountered the crash.

2.) Please temporarily disable other plugins.  Click Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-ons disabled

3.) Try disabling Hardware Acceleration in Flash Player.  Details are the Solve Video Problems section, here:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

4.) If the issue persists, please disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox:

Click the orange Firefox button

Click Options

Under General, uncheck Use hardware acceleration where available

5.) Attach the output of dxdiag.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Jeromie Clark

Every single time it crashes I click the button to submit a crash report...don't you guys get that information??

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to kitty4kat

That information is actually sent to Mozilla.  We get information about it in aggregate; however, Mozilla employees cannot share your actual crash reports with us at this time.

If I have the link to the crash you're seeing, I can tell if it's one that we know about, or if it's something that we're not familiar with that needs additional investigation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Jeromie Clark

The link as in the page I'm on when it crashes?  If that's what you need...then here it is:

https://apps.facebook.com/onthefarm/?ref=bookmarks&count=39&fb_source= bookmark_apps&fb_bmpos=4_39

If that's not it, explain what it is to me & I will do my best to get it for you.

Thanks for your help Jeromie,

Kathy Healy

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to nikkim602

my flash player keeps crashing.Here is the error message im getting.I have windows vista home premium.

Problem Event Name:BEX
      Application Name:FlashPlayerPlugin_11_6_602_168.exe
      Application Version:11.6.602.168
      Application Timestamp:51117065
      Fault Module Name:ShimEng.dll_unloaded
      Fault Module Version:0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:4549bdb7
      Exception Offset:6f6b4618
      Exception Code:c0000005
      Exception Data:00000008
      OS Version:6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:1033
      Additional Information 1:9cfd
      Additional Information 2:aea2a0d7a408bfb90d70a40b35741536
      Additional Information 3:2c87
      Additional Information 4:062d7de6b52910b097ebc211d0b77798

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Diamond003

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell me anything useful.

Please go to about:crashes in Firefox, click on the first few links to submit them, the past the links here.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points