Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Poor support for Sony lenses

Jan 7, 2012 1:27 AM

Looking through the list of 'official' adobe lens profiles,  I see support for literally hundreds of lenses.   However there are only 4 supported Sony lenses - even Pentax has about 50 lenses listed.

So where do these profiles come from?  I read somewhere that sigma provided all the profiles for their lenses and looking at the long long Canon and Nikon lists, I can't imagine Adobe went and bought/rented a warehouse of premium lenses purely to profile them.  I imagine then that there is some kind of manufacturer input to the Official lens profiles.

But who drives this?  Does Adobe approach the manufacturer or is it the other way round?

I would love to see a more complete list of Sony lenses (in particular, the 16-50/2.8 and marvellous 35/1.8) and don't have the confidence/time to create profiles myself.

Is there a plan in Adobe to profile some more Sony lenses?  Is it based on market share/demand? 

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to mikey_2000

"I read somewhere that sigma provided all the profiles for their lenses and looking at the long long Canon and Nikon lists, I can't imagine Adobe went and bought/rented a warehouse of premium lenses purely to profile them."

True by all account! Canon and Nikon are not doing what is the best interest to their own customers (Ok, this is my own statement ). A number of other lens manufacturers have indeed followed SIGMA's example and provided Adobe with lens profiles. The list is growing. The user community has also help created close to 1000 lens profiles. Thank you all!

-Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points