Skip navigation

What PC to build? An update...

Jan 11, 2012 6:37 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #pc #system #build #components #budget
  Latest reply: Alain Van Haecke, Feb 10, 2014 4:35 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Another Photographer

This cooling fan discussion is interesting, though it doesn't sound like there is a consensus on what is a strong alternative to the Noctua that allows you to access the memory?

Since memory options are limited in the first place and potentially problematic, I would prefer to have access to the memory without removing the heat sink system.

If price was not a strong concern, what do people suggest for a quality cooling fan system that doesn't obstruct the memory on an ASUS P9X79 DELUXE?

Anything over and above the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO?

Cheers! Dave.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Dave Cowl

How about the corsair H80 or H100?

I have the H80 and think it is pretty good.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Dave Cowl

i have a h100 with cougar fans on mine and it performs very well

though if your looking for a fan and are worried about clearance height you should take a look at the noctua c14, ive heard its similar it performance

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to notex235

I thought that the liquid coolers might be complicated but it looks like the H80 and H100 fit pretty well in the Corsair cases...!

One Amazon picture showed leakage though... is that a common issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Dave Cowl

no not from my experiences at hardforum, anandtech and oc

i have a corsair 650d and the h100 fits PERFECTLY

the stock fans are fairly good but if you push them at their max they will outperform a dh14 but at the cost of noise--i suggest scythe gentle typhoons or cougar vortex since newegg has a sale on them for $12 with pwm

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Dave Cowl

Dave Cowl wrote:

One Amazon picture showed leakage though... is that a common issue?

Impossible to say how common but I saw no reason to take that risk when there are alternatives.  I would much rather have to move the fan on the Noctua up a notch as suggested by Harm rather than replace the whole mobo because of a leak in the cooler.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Another Photographer

there is truth but if there are space limitations the aio coolers are a great alternatives

the thing is if there are risks corsair covers the repair/replacement of the affected system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I'm buying a new video editing computer but i'm unsure what build I should aim for. I am interested in the idea of using Hackintosh to use Final Cut Pro, but I may consider using Adobe CS6 instead. Currently right now I'm using Sony Vegas 11, but I feel the other two editors offer some great features that I would like to use. My build is on a budget of $1800 and I use formats such as MOV and AVI on 1080p. I plan on purchasing the Nikon D800 or the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in the near future. This build is intended as video editing as a serious hobby and gaming machine that runs 1080p at 60FPS.

So far if I continue with a Final Cut Pro build, it would be this

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H

CPU:intel i7 3770k

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce x3 gtx 670 2GB

PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750W Gold

Case:NZXT Phantom $119.99

SSD:Crucial M4 256GB SSD

HDD:Samsung F4 2TB HDD

HDD:Samsung F4 2TB HDD

Ram: Corsair 16GB Vengeance Low Profile 16mhz

DVD Drive:ASUS Optical Drive $16.99

Top Fan: NZXT 200mm

If I don't create a hackintosh build, I'll switch to a X79 build.

i7 3930K $538.74

---------------

Seagate Barracuda 2TB $118.51

-------------- 

Gigabyte X79-UD3 Motherboard $238.99

Samsung F4 2TB HDD

Crucial 128GB SSD $122.49

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 $84.95

Geforce GTX 580: $345.02

Cooler Master HAF932 $139.99

Corsair 750W PSU $99.92 (used Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator and seems like i'm very underpowered and need to stretch to a 1000W PSU)

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD Drive $21.05

Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 16GB DDR3 $97.99

Again, I'm very unfamiliar with advanced/professional video editing setups and workflows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to RjL190365

RjL190365 wrote:

I'm not Harm, but that system needs an upgraded GPU: That system is strong on the CPU and weak on the GPU. Go with at least a GTX 560 Ti (or better still, a GTX 670).

To tell the truth, I am having a hard time finding a GPU that balances out my i7-2600K CPU. 

I don't care very much about encoding speed, so long as it's reasonable.  Encoding quality is important though, which is why a GPU is good to have.

(ii) The GT 240 is serving me pretty well as far as on-the-fly decoding--everything plays pretty smooth, even with Warp Stabilizer effect and a couple of other effects. (I do exclusively Nikon D800 1080p video at the moment.)

(iii) Phase I of Warp stabilizer is very slow, but from everything I hear that is NOT GPU-stabilized.

What would you recommend?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to kimchitaco

kimchitaco wrote:

i7 3930K $538.74

---------------

Seagate Barracuda 2TB $118.51

-------------- 

Gigabyte X79-UD3 Motherboard $238.99

Samsung F4 2TB HDD

Crucial 128GB SSD $122.49

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 $84.95

Geforce GTX 580: $345.02

Cooler Master HAF932 $139.99

Corsair 750W PSU $99.92 (used Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator and seems like i'm very underpowered and need to stretch to a 1000W PSU)

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD Drive $21.05

Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 16GB DDR3 $97.99

Again, I'm very unfamiliar with advanced/professional video editing setups and workflows.

Looks pretty good to me.

Are you going to OC this system?  If so make sure you have a board that has good power control.  If you're not going to OC you probably don't need the Noctua.

(ii) The best Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic, so I went straight to the source and got a Gold-rated fully modular Seasonic 750W for $120.  If concerned about power, go for the Seasonic Platinum 1000W.  Gold and Platinum refer to efficiency and are very important. 

(iii) 128GB is going to feel cramped on an SSD.  I found a Crucial 256GB for only $179.  The 256GB model is a bit faster too.

(iv) This system cries out for a bit more RAM.  32GB?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Another Photographer

i agree on top except that corsair AX series are made by seasonic, sometimes one is cheaper than the other

http://slickdeals.net/f/4746302-SeaSonic-X750-Gold-750W-SLI-Ready-80-P LUS-GOLD-Certified-Full-Modular-Power-Supply-119-99

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to RjL190365

RjL190365 wrote:

Sorry for not making that clear enough. All of my info in the above post are in CS6 relative to those same tests done in CS5.5.

Is the idea that I would run the test on my system and compare to published PPBM5 scores for CS5.5?  Given the difference in performance, how to tell if the difference is due to CS5.5 or my machine?

Out of curiosity, why is CS6 slower in encode times.  I hope it's because the quality is higher.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

*Not intended for Harm but I don't know how to reply to the forum in general, sorry.

Hello everyone, this will be my first computer build and I would like to know anyones thoughts in reguards to it.

My main use will be AE, PR, and PS (in that order) with some 3D modeling when I purchase C4D (which is why I kept my 256gb ssd (for os and programs) and am selling my 128 ssd):

Tower: Cooler Master Haf X

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67

CPU: i7-2600k

CPU Fan: All In One Corsair Hydro or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or NH-D14 (ill be overclocking, thoughts?)

Graphics Card: GTX 560 Ti (2GB version)

Memory: 4x 8GB Mushkin

Memory Fan: Corsair

Storage:

- SSD: 1 256GB Samsung 830

- HDD: 4 WD Black 1tb

PSU: Will decide when everything is figured out

Optical Drive: something cheap, idc about that really

And here is what I'm thinking for my disk setup:

-(C:) 256GB Samsung 830 - OS, Programs

-(D:) 2 WD Black 1tb Raid0 - Media, Projects, Pagefile

-(E:) 2 WD Black 1tb Raid0 - Previews, Media Cache, Exports

Qustion: I've heard the P67 will not allow me to take advantage of the sandy bridges quick sync option, is there something else someone would reccomend to allow for this AND still be able to overclock?

Thanks for anyones help, I'm excited but I don't want any huge mistakes...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to Lyndon1984

Lyndon1984 wrote:

Qustion: I've heard the P67 will not allow me to take advantage of the sandy bridges quick sync option, is there something else someone would reccomend to allow for this AND still be able to overclock?

Personally, I see no reason not to get a Z77 chipset which has all the features you could need for i7-2600K, but more importantly:

what makes you think you can use both Quicksync and Mercury/CUDA harware acceleration?  I thought it was one or the other.

(ii) Quicksync is one of the few things that was improved from Sandy Bridge (i7-2600) to Ivy Bridge, so if interested in Quicksync, Ivy Bridge might be the way to go.

(iii) How about the quality of Quicksync output?  Is it as good as software or CUDA rendering?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Another Photographer

Ignorance would be my guess, I've been recently informed upon more researching Thanks for your help man. I'm going w/ the z77 sabertooth after inspecting that and other mobos more extensively. I appreciate the heads up on it! Finally, I'll have a nice system for the price point...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I'll be allocating my disk setup (refer to post 172)? I don't know what else I could use my only ssd for or if I need to :/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Lyndon1984

Is the Kepler Architecture good for MPE?

I heard GeForce 500 series is better than 500 series for Pr

and in the warrior build, why harm don't recommend the GTX680 or GTX670?

http://up.vatandownload.com/images/mtgznc04j8uc8nfrt.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

Notice the date at the top: January 2012?

Kepler was only introduced in March 2012.

Do you recommend any 6-series nVidia GPUs now for any of the three builds?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I've been meaning to ask : have recent hardware releases changed your build recommendations?

The above comments answer the graphics card aspects of that, but are there new and better CPU's and motherboards available yet?

Is the i7-3930K - Asus P9X79 WS combo still the best option?

I'm leaning towards the "Warrior" build, under the assumption that basing my build on that type of motherboard will provide me with an upradeable system that can rip through both Premiere pro, and effects-heavy renders from After effects. Possibly some work in Blender as-well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

Definitely the 680 for the warrior, but for the budget version definitely still the 550 Ti. For the economical version the 670 is the best option from a technical POV, but from a $$ POV, the 560 TI is still the more attractive one. Keep in mind that the Kepler range does not show any significant performance improvement. The main benefits are lesser energy consumption and thus cooler (and less strain on your PSU), as well as support for up to 4 monitors.

In my planning one other aspect that should weigh in your GPU decision, useful lifetime.  If you look at the long term and tend to plan some intermediate upgrade beyond a complete new system then that should push you towards the 600 series earilier

About the motherboard, I have a tendency (and past reputation) of "living on the bleeding edge" It now looks like Asrock will finally be delivering their new X79 Extreme11 sometime in the next month or so. .And if it is not to ridiculously priced I would be interested. This beast has 8 x SAS/SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors and I never seem to have enough.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Great job, Harm - many people will surely benifit from the new site too.

Ulf

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

...but for the budget version definitely still the 550 Ti.

That still holds true today since there is currently no Kepler-derived GPUs in between the GT 640 (which is significantly slower than even a GTS 450, let alone a GTX 550 Ti) and the GTX 670. Plus, the plain non-Ti GTX 560 still costs significantly more than the GTX 550 Ti (although it performs faster than the GTX 550 Ti).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to RjL190365

For immediate gratification at a low price, I would also throw the GTX 480 into the mix for consideration.  Its performance appears to be comparable to the GTX 670 (maybe even faster in some circumstances), but in the US it's about half the price of the GTX 670.  If course it uses a lot more power, so you need a a hefty PSU to support it, and it is going to be louder under load.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

How about the E-5 2687 CPU on an Z9PE-D8 WS board?

How does it perform commpared to a i7 3960x Setup?

Any thoughts on the ssd cacheing on the z9pe-d8?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Jim-Lar

I am in the process of bullding a new Win64 box for Lr4.1 and PS6 working with Nikon D800/E 14bit NEFS and maybe a little Premeire video work, mosty photos though.

I am thinking about running an Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 with 32GB ram, Windows 7 64, A couple of sata III 128 GB drives for OS Programs and the second SSD for LR4 cagesatalog and a 4TB Hitachi drive for images.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to spend the extra $$ and get the Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge 6 core processor, yes it is older then the Ivy Brige but it has 6 cores vs 4 and 12mb L3 cache as opposed to 8mb. plus LGA2011 motherboards support 64GB of ram...

Will LR4.1 take advantage of 6 cores over the Quad Core or will it not be much faster?

Thanks

Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to skornreich

LR and PS will work fine on either platform and you will not see a significant difference in performance by changing to the X79 platform with those 2 applications and the system configuration your looking at above overall. You are well beyond what you need for those applications alone.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Eric,

Thanks for the information.

I think there would be a 'nbig" advantage with the X79 platform for PS because of the ability to goto 64mb ram which PS would take advantage of, though I am not a big PS user since LR keeps getting better and better. I have seen no evidence that LR takes advantage of more RAM, and that the most important thing is raw CPU speed.

Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Hi!

What would you say, what should I upgrade next from my PC? Case and PSU are pretty good so those are out.

Hardware:

• Intel i7-870 (HT on)
    • 16GB 1333Mhz ram
    • GeForce 660 TI (Asus DC II)
    • Harddrives
      • Samsung F3 1TB 7200 rpm for OS
      • Samsung F3 1TB 7200 rpm x 2 in RAID0 for Cache, previews, captured audio and video. Also for the rendering to a final clip
      • Samsung F4EG 2TB 5400 rpm for footage
    • 650W Chieftec power
    • Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

I'd love to get more juice for Premiere and After Effects. It takes 4,5min to RAM-preview a 16s footage with current setup, what should I upgrade first or should I start from scratch?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to St. Apollo

....of course, Harm,Scott, Bill, RJL, and others more knowledgeable than me can provide a better answer. However, for a simple start, your CPU,Ram, and video card all look decent. The OS drive and RAID 0 setup looks good. Power supply may be OK with that 870 CPU.

The big , glaring problem is the 5400 RPM single drive for footage !!  That is below Adobe requirements, ( minimum 7200rpm drives).

I am sure others would recommend creating a second onboard RAID array, just like the first one, to place your footage,(media) on.

This should provide improved performance. Of course, you would need to back up that second RAID... that's where your existing 5400 RPM HDD can be used.....to contain your original footage, that you copy to your second RAID for performance during editing. However, it may be faster to feed that second RAID using a 7200RPM drive instead.

After Effects benefits from having more system ram.....you would have to have Windows 7 Professional to have more than 16GB ram....with your Dual-channel memory setup and motherboard, I do not know if you can put in more memory...32GB would be great,esp. for AEffects.

With the new cache system on After Effects CS6, you may be able to benefit performance by assigning it to  your first RAID array.

Other tweaks would be to make sure all indexing and compression are turned off on all drives, ( under properties tab for each drive), static  Windows page file,( at least 1.5 x system memory), is placed on your first RAID array, real-time virus monitoring turned off, and proper memory assigned to both After Effects and PPro,( done inside each program's settings). You can find a more complete list of Windows tuning here on this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to JFPhoton

Okey, I tried making up a RAMdisk which does about 5000Mb/s read and 4000Mb/s write and I tried to move my cache to it, video footage, media cache and I tried with different combinations. The problem is, the RAM-preview didn't fast at all, the difference is roughly 1-2 seconds. The speed difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm is very very minor.

My Cache is on my current RAID array. Indexing is off, compression is off, Page file and hibernate files are on my current RAID array. Real-time virus monitoring is still on but the performance with and without is negligible.

Currently, I've allowed to PPro and AE to use 6/8 cores of my computer and I've put the ram usage so there would be 2GB per core. I've allowed those softwares to use 13Gb ram while leaving 3Gb for other applications.

My board doesn't support over 16Gb ram and I think P77 series doesn't even support over 16GB so it would be new board and CPU.

So, is there any ways to improve this more so that the difference between speed would be noticable?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to St. Apollo

.....time to go to Harm and Bill's PPBM5 website and test your machine withthat benchmark program....it may reveal what area,( if any), is causing a slowdown,or, "bottleneck".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,

I don't have the money for all the warrior build right now. I was going to get just one 512GB SSD for now and add the other SSD's and RAID when I get the money - probably spring of 2013. One Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal SSD. Will that work with the rest of the Warrior build? If not, what can I minimally do to start off with.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Jacqueline Casillas

I have an economical build with a Seasonic 750W Gold.  I used a GT240 that I recycled from an old computer.  The GT240 giving me trouble.  Would a GT660 be a good upgrade from an economical build?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

A GTX 660 Ti is probably the sweet point now from a BFTB point of view.

How important is the amount of DDR5?  On a card like the GTX 660 Ti, would it be worthwhile to get 3GB rather than the base 2GB? 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Are you going to do a Budget/Economical/Warrior build list for 2013 or CS7.0?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to Jacqueline Casillas

Is the Lian Li PC-A77 still optimal for the Warrior build?

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (9)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points