Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting PDF spreads as separate pages

Jan 11, 2012 10:03 AM

Okay, not sure if this is a feature that was included at all or it's something that was added in later releases. I'm using InDesign CS3–

I want to export PDF's as spreads (or side by side). The problem with exporting it as such is that the pages are no longer individualized in the PDF, but rather they are one huge wide page. The pages are no longer recognized as individual pages, so that if a person wants to print page 2 or 3, the pages cannot be individually selected because they turned into this massively horizontal PDF.

Is there a way to export the pages as PDF spreads while retaining the individuality of the pages for print or other purposes? I want spreads for presentation purposes, but I also want people to be able to print out a particular page if they choose to without printing the whole thing out.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, fire up InDesign, start a new letter-size document, create 2 or 3 new pages and line them up side by side as spreads, then try exporting it.

File>Export>Adobe PDF, check 'All Pages' and 'Spreads' boxes. Open the PDF in Acrobat and try printing page 2 or 3. You will find that you can't because the pages are no longer selectable, but rather your document is now 1 single bloated pdf page.

Please, no script solutions (if any).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to amebade05

What have you got against scripts?

But that's not the answer, so it's not a problem. You set the Initial View in Acrobat Pro after you expor the PDF as individual apages, not spreads. You probably still have Acrobat 8, or maybe 7, if using CS3? It might have moved, but try File > Document Properties > Initial View tab.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to amebade05

I don't think three or more side by side in Acrobat is possible without making spreads  compound pages.

Scripts are well worth the effort to learn to use, even if you don't want to learn to write them. They can automate tasks to d things in seconds that would take you much longer to do manually, and with less chance of error, and the can access parts of ID that are not available in the UI. They aren't nearly as scary as they seem. Check out How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points