Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

mac computer - acsm ticket won't work in ADE - tried everything - can you please help me?

Jan 12, 2012 9:27 AM

Tags: #adobe #lion #mac #digital #ebook #convert #download #ebooks #epub #activation #digital_editions #adobe_digital_editions #ade #transferring #acsm #kobo

I have a Mac OSX10.7 apple computer.   If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I have already tried many avenues to find the answer.  My acsm ticket will not open my ebook in Adobe Digital Edition.  I have an adobe id, have downloaded adobe digital edition, my computer is authorized with the right email address, same one as the adobe id.  Then I downloaded an ebook from a public library.  The acsm ticket shows up in my computer's Downloads.  The ADE is in the Applications folder. 

When I double click on the acsm ticket in the computer downloads folder, it opens up the ADE app, but nothing happens from there (the ebook does not appear in the ADE,  nor does the ACSM ticket appear). Even if I open the ADE, click  "add item to library", I can find the computer Downloads folder, but the acsm download is greyed out, so I cannot choose it and click on it.  This is the problem.  I cannot figure out why? 

My computer does not have the firewall enabled (I have checked this in my system preferences).  I have adobe flash installed according to my system preferences also. 

An Adobe tech confirmed that the ADE was working because I can open an EPUB sample book from a website that is not using an acsm ticket.  Anyone with some helpful information?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to bunlady2012

I'm a PC guy, and when this happens on a PC, it's usually a problem with

what the library or source for your ebook has not put the proper

information into the .ascm file so that ADE will start up and can do

something with it.  Try checking with your source and see if they can help

you out.  It's not a problem with the ADE code, so it won't help if you

uninstall/reinstall ADE - and doing that could cause more problems.

Hope this helps!

==============

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to bunlady2012

I keep going back to the process that should work.  If ADE can't work with

the .ascm file from the library, but will work with other sites, it's not

ADE that has the problem.  Somebody in the library's tech support group

should be able to do something about it.

=================

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

I'm sorry I don't have a solution, but chiming into say I have the exact same problem as described in bunlady2012's original post. In mid-November I switched from an older Dell PC running XP to an iMac with the latest operating system. I can still successfully download library books using the Dell, then connecting my iPad and downloading the ebooks on it via iTunes, but the ebooks will not open in ADE on the iMac. I'd like to get the Dell off my desk sooner rather than later, but I'm finding several things that I still need it for until I can figure out all the quirks of the iMac first - successfully downloading ebooks being one of them!!! I also would appreciate receiving resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

Hi Again - If I find a solution I'll certainly share it here! Right now I'm not feeling optimistic as I just got off the phone from talking to an Apple Care rep who said it isn't an Apple problem and has to be with the software developer. He didn't know what a acsm file was and wasn't about to try to find out. Unfortunately I'm beginning to regret my iMac purchase. I've had to talk to Apple Care a few times now about one thing or another and they have NEVER solved one issue. It's almost like being held hostage by Apple - if it's not made by them you are on your own. Sorry for the vent. I hope Adobe is able to come up with the solution. Like you my PC isn't long for this world and I really do enjoy reading books on my iPad!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to bunlady2012

I am having the same problem as you all and I am wishing I brought a window computer for Christmas instead of a apple. I was able to download overdrive media on my phone and can read the books from the library on it but the print is so small, but I guess it is better then not at all.The books worked fine on my old computer, Hoping someone comes up with a solution soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to bunlady2012

We have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 and a Kobo Touch ereader. When I borrow a book from the library ADE automatically opens and I can see the book in the Library view. I then close ADE down, plug in the Kobo, wait til it has time to connect to the computer, then open ADE up again and the Kobo shows up at the bottom of my Bookshelves at the left of the screen. There is an option to not have the Bookshelves show and if you don't have it show, you might not see your ereader device. I then just drag the book I want onto the device and it is done. I don't worry about the ACSM file or where it might be on the computer, I just work with the ADE interface.

If the ebook won't even show up in ADE, then I wonder if it is a problem with the ebook itself and not a software or hardware problem. Does it only happen with one book or with them all?

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to AFhauler

I would like to emphasize that .ascm files (they're not 'tickets') are ONLY

pointers to the location of an ebook, plus some information about it.  ADE

uses this transient information to find the ebook and download it.  The

.ascm file then disappears.  The ebooks themselves generally are in .epub

or .pdf fomat when they are in ADE's library.

=============

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

I have two suggestions. I work in a library:

This is sometimes a problem with Safari and ADE not opening the acsm file. Can you try downloading another internet browser like Mozilla Firefox and trying the download process from your library again, with a new eBook and see if that works?

OR

This is a clunky solution, but it does work for some people: download the sony reader library software: http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ and try to use that to open (unlock the .acsm) the epub eBook. It works just like ADE. Once you have the epub eBook open, you should be able to open ADE and use the menu item "add item to library" and transfer the unlocked epub eBook from sony to ADE for transfer to your kobo reader. It's not a pretty solution, but worth a try. Again - try a brand new library eBook with this in case there's a problem with the book you've been using.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to readertesters

I have the exact same problem as AZ, the sony reader worked for me, so i don't use the Adobe DE anymore..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

Thanks for the updated info bunlady2012! I did read the specs sheet, but not until after I'd already downloaded ADE. I KNOW I read some where else prior to that though that there was an upgrade of ADE to include Lion 10.7, but of course I can't locate that same information now. I sure hope Adobe figures out a fix soon as I don't know how much longer the Dell is going to last and as of now the local library requires ADE for any ebook downloads. At least now I/we can stop running in circles!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

thanks it worked

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

Hi bunlady2012. Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately this method still doesn't work for me. Or, to be more specific, I was able to download the Sony EReader onto my iMac and I was also able to get a book from the library to download and be opened within Adobe using the method described above. What I cannot do now is get the book onto my iPad which was the entire purpose behind my initial posts.

Unfortunately I have to sync any books I want to read on the iPad via iTunes, and as best as I can determine (haven't spent a lot of time looking since I read your post tonight though), is that Apple is no longer allowing Sony ereader apps because it wants sole control (?).  I could well stand corrected though, and if anyone can point me to the approved iTunes download for the Sony eReader for iPads I'd be much obliged. Right now I have to download the ebooks to ADE (app required by the library for ebook downloads) then sync them via iTunes to a Blue Fire Reader. I can see the book when I try to sync, but it will not open within Blue Fire and as I don't have the Sony app on the iPad ......................... it's been a no go.

The local library specifies books for Apple products i.e. iPad's "is more complicated than for standard eReaders", and as much as I love my iPad this process has proven even more extremely frustrating since moving from the PC to the iMac! Who knew?! Anything PC and iPad was always more complicated for me pre iMac and Lion 10.7.2.   My sincere hope is that Adobe comes up with an upgrade to ADE very soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to marilyngg

There have been several posts to the blog that point out that ADE does not

support iPads or Android devices.  If that was your intent, we could have

saved a lot of your time by dealing with that part first.  If I recall

correctly, Jim Lester - a former Adobe employee - suggests that you use

Bluefire reader and transfer the ebooks to your iPad via iTunes.  The

complicating factor seems to be the Lion OS on the Mac.  Try searching the

blog for Jim's posts.

But the discussion has included some other points, and we're backing into a

topic that relates to 'why do I have to use ADE?'.  'bunlady2012' is

pointing out that people can use the SONY reader software as an alternate

method, and that seems to work sometimes.  It won't work all the time,

however, because - like it or not - ADE is the predominant standard method,

with Overdrive and Bluefire in general use as alternatives.  SONY developed

their Reader software to provide a method to tie SONY customers to their

bookstore, in a similar fashion to Amazon's Kindle but not as tightly. I

think their intent was both a convenience to their customers and a

marketing tool for their ebooks.

Hope this helps!

=============

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

To all of the MAC users. I had a similar situation trying to download some textbooks today. Maybe this helps.

1) I am a Lion user. 10.7.3.

2) I downloaded the Sony Reader App to purchase some textbooks and library books for school.

3) I own a first gen iPad (not sure if having an iPad 2 makes a diff)

4) I downloaded the APP "Bluefire Reader" which is amazing at reading a wide host of eBook formats, and more importantly the DRM restricted Adobe books.

5) Make sure to authorize Bluefire with your Adobe ID.

Here's where I had the problem. My purchases in Sony Reader were not automatically showing up in ADE which I downloaded after the Reader. After some research I found that the .acsm file is not "needed" to view books on an iPad.To solve that:

6) Click Add to Library in ADE.

Typically you would use the .acsm files here but the files I needed were under ... My Documents/ My Books/Reader ... and SHAZAM.

7) These books show up in ADE.

To get to your iPad:

8) Go to the App section of the Sync. Scroll to the bottom and click the "Bluefire Reader" app.

9) Click "Add" in the lower right corner and use the same file path as earlier. My Documents/ My Books/Reader ... and SHAZAM.

10) Sync if necessary. My iPad automatically was downloading my books. And I am currently enjoying my textbooks on my iPad.

For library books I would contend that maybe a new folder is created under the My Books folder or Documents. I hope this works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to likesmusicalso

Place the mouse over the file name and right click. When it comes up with "Open With", select Digital Editions.

That solved my first problem - getting the file opened in ADE.

My next problem was transferring the file to the NOOK COLOR -- I finally reset the nook and now it works.  I went to Settings, Device Info, Erase and Deregister Device. I erased and deregistered the nook. When that was completed, I connected it to the computer and started ADE. It found the nook and I was able to pull the files over to the nook . . .  and they transferred!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

Hmm...intersting because I suspect that I am having the same problem with my OS 10.6.8  Snow Leopard. I have tried Adobe's suggestion of deleting the Macromedia bin file from System Preferences and no luck. As much as I love my Mac, I am suspecting; then, this is a  Mac issue more than Adobe.

I am off to  try the Sony workaround.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to VIce-a Verse-a

I'm also using 10.6.8 and had the same problem so it's not just a 10.7.3 problem.  The Sony workaround finally worked but it just doesn't feel right.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

It's not necessarily Adobe's problem.  Lion introduced a number of changes

from Snow Leopard, and a couple of them affect programs like (and

including) ADE.  Adobe can't do anything about those changes.....

============

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to bunlady2012

Thank you.  I followed your advice to use the Sony Reader and it worked.  I do believe this is a Mac issue.  My books were downloading to ADE.  I did a software update and the problem transferring to ADE started.  But, thanks to you, after many frustrating hours, my books are on my Nook.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to bunlady2012

I have OS X 10.6.8 and have just started having this problem. I am now using the Sony reader and getting the books downloaded. I can read them with that or with ADE.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to FredLehman

Fred, the problem is Apple's, not Adobe's.

==============

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to Frustrated in AZ

I realize that Frustrated and this is not the first time I've had a problem after an undate on my computer. The last time it was with a game site but somehow they got that worked out after I called tech support and mention that along with the other problem I was having (it took them a good 8 months). All I'm saying is that on such occasions try  to find a work-around until the developers figure out what the conflict is, solve the problem, and send out a new up date with the fix in it. Be patient ... computer science is still young and there are still quite a few bugs to work out. There always will be bugs ... nothing is perfect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to FredLehman

Ease up, Fred.  I've been dealing with these issues for over 40 years.

=============

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Frustrated in AZ

So have I, Frustrated. Have you ever tried to program in Fortran?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to FredLehman

Open the application FINDER. Find the .ascm file and select it. Then right

click and a selection box comes up - select "open with Adobe Digital

Editions.app" -- The program should open and your file should appear.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points