Skip navigation
TomBrikar
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe CS3 on Windows 7 says `installer database is corrupt....'

Jan 14, 2012 5:01 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs3 #error #installation #windows7

Hi, I am new to this.

I have been using Illustrator CS3 for several years under WinXP, and have now upgraded the OS to WIN7.  I am failing to install, whatever I do it comes back with the following error message:

`The installer database is corrupt, if this continues .....'

I had onscreen chats with Adobe's  Vallen and (maybe) Sumar, who just sent me back to the Support page and forum page.  Digging there I eventually found http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401531.html and followed the instructions, including deleting the caps folder because neither of the database files were in it.

There is a suggestion that I would get somewhere if I was disconnected from the internet.  I am wondering also if removal of Photoshop Elements 10 would get rid of a conflict (I have already stripped out most other Adobe programs).  I am pretty sure that before loading WIn7 I had been forced to uninstall CS3 for reasons of space, so I don't think ther should be an issue of serial nos.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Brian

AKA TomBrikar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to TomBrikar

It would be inconvenient to uninstall Photoshop Elements 10 because that is now fully integrated with the HP scanner,

I don't see any problem here. It's just using the standard TWAIN or WIA interfaces. There's no magic custom code in any of the Adobe apps regarding support for specific scanners, cameras or whatever. At worst you may lose color calibration and some presets.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to TomBrikar

I had onscreen chats with Adobe's  Vallen and (maybe) Sumar, who just sent me back to the Support page and forum page.  Digging there I eventually found http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401531.html and followed the instructions, including deleting the caps folder because neither of the database files were in it.

Not sure what you are trying to say by that. without any of the files neitehr Adobe apps would ever work or install correctly, so they must be somewhere. If they are not in the proper folder, then maybe they have ended up elsewhere due to permission issues or compatibility problems. CS3 is, after all, unsupported on Win7. This may even be some silly issue in your Win7 install which now may include some patches that didn't exist 3 years ago and it affects security policies. In any case do some digging. And yes, it may help to install in order and get rid of PSE 10. A newer product could introduce incompatible data into the installer database that legacy products cannot handle correctly...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to TomBrikar

Thanks Tom!

I tried everything on the web and the only thing that worked was removing every Adobe program and starting over!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to TomBrikar

Encountered the same problem when trying to install Photoshop CS3 on a Windows 7 machine.

Seemed that Premier Elements 10 was causing the problem. After uninstalling Elements, I could install Photoshop succesfully. Had to reinstall Elements of course, grrr...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points