Skip navigation
terryk126
Currently Being Moderated

Reader 10.1.0 and updates won't install OS X 10.7 Lion

Jan 14, 2012 11:00 AM

Reader 10.1.2 will not install on my OS X 10.7 Lion system.  Reader 10.1.0 was running on OS X 10.6.7 and after upgrading to 10.7 I can't install any upgrades (10.1.1 or 10.1.2)  I tried removing 10.1.0 and downloading a complete version.  The installation  stalls at the "running package scripts" point, the "install time remainings increments out to 32 minutes and then I get a box showing "installation failed"  I found a suggestion on the internet that socketfilterfw could cause the problem and turning the firewall off would prevent it.  Turning the firewall off and running the installation offline did not help. I tried removing everything Adobe from user, library and system folders, again with no help. 

As a work around I tried to install Reader 9.6 and it installed and works fine.  I also tried copying Reader 10.1.1 from a friends laptop running OS X 10.6.7 to my laptop and it works okay: however, when I try to install the 10.1.2 upgrade the installation fails and trying to install a full version of 10.1.2 also fails.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to terryk126

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Please try installing Adobe Reader 10.1.2 again and mail me following log at khare@adobe.com

/var/install.log

Regards,

Yachna

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to Yachna

Hi, could you please direct me to where I can find information on how to get Reader X to update from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2? I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 and each time Reader tries to update I get error message 1301. I went here: (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/852/cpsid_85259.html) for help and tried both steps (enabling root user and re-installing) to no avail. When I tried to re-install it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r and keeps adding time in the progress window...30 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hour, 1 hour 45 minutes, etc. This caused the fans on my MacBook Pro to run at high speed due to the processor running very hot, so I quit the Installer to protect my laptop. Is this a bug or issue known to Adobe yet? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to terryk126

I am having the same issue, on 10.7.3. The 10.1.2 installer hangs at "running package scripts" and causes my fans to spin up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to waslater1

Please! Resolve this, I can't view or print documents signed using Acrobat!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to waslater1

I guess Adobe is not interested in assisting their end-users unless one is paying $39 for a tech support call or upgraded (i.e. purchased) additional products or enhancements...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to terryk126

Here is what I had to do in OS X Lion:

1. Restart holding down Command-R to go into recovery mode

2. Select Recovery HD for startup

3. Select Disk Utility from the menu that comes up

4. Select Macintosh HD (or whatever your hard drive is named) once in Disk Utility

5. Repair permissions on Macintosh HD

6. Restart your computer

7. When I restarted, the Adobe application that claims it was not updated magically appeared as the updated version

8. You might have to run the updater again but I did not due to whatever magic had occurred in my case

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to terryk126

I am having exactly the same issue, on Mac OS 10.7.3. The 10.1.3 installer hangs at "running package scripts" with the remaining installation time increasing forever and causing my fans to spin up. Only way to stop this is to Force Quit the installer and restart my MacBook Pro. Since no solution is available on this forum, I've decided to install Reader 9 instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to Bostichke

This could be a problem in your MAC OS permissions. You could try following soluitions to repair permissions:

1. The issue could be with the permissions on "/" the root. Type the following commands:

~su

~chmod 1775 /

2. If option 1 doesn’t work, You may try reinstalling your MAC OS installation.

Back up all data, if not already done. Boot from your recovery partition (command-R at startup) and reinstall Lion. If you upgraded from 10.6, you'll need the Apple ID and password you used to buy Lion from the App Store. Don't erase the boot volume; just reinstall in place. You won't need your backup unless something goes wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to terryk126

Hi Terry..could you please explain where you typed this info? Into Terminal? Many thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to terryk126

Yachna,

This is what I got in Terminal:

Ivos-MacBook-Pro:~ ibosteels$ su

Password:

su: Sorry

Ivos-MacBook-Pro:~ ibosteels$ chmod 1775 /

chmod: Unable to change file mode on /: Operation not permitted

I've reinstalled Mac OS X some 2 months ago, with all the troubles that come with that, so little incentive to go over the same process just for upgrading Adobe Reader.

Ivo

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to Yachna

This fix also works for the same 1301 error on osx 10.8.2 and adobe reader 11.0.01.

Attempting to upgrade from 11.0.0 to 11.0.01.

Symptom:

The full installer package or the update hangs at "running package scripts".

The full install was running today and was hung at the same location.

During the "hang" the commands Yachna mentioned were ran and immedately the installer progressed and completed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points