Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

SETTINGS FOR PANASONIC AG-HPX170P CAMCORDER

Jan 14, 2012 1:47 PM

I've just hooked up my new Panasonic AG-HPX170P camcorder to a windows 7 64 bit laptop with an i7 intel processor.  While the laptop loaded the drivers for the camera, I can't get any feed in my monitor or controls in OnLocation.  I have the camera set to send files to the laptop and control start/stop functions on the computer.  I plan to record in DVCPROHD at 1080i/30p.  An adobe rep told me OnLocation would work with the camera.  Also, the Adobe Help site says AVI Type 2 is available only for DVCPRO 720P cameras, but doesn't give any further info on other settings.  Anyone working with this camcorder and OnLocation?  Can only find vague references on hooking camcorder to "external devices" in users manual and camera settings to record to either the P2 Card and the computer or just to the computer in "The HVX and HPX Book" by Barry Green.  Any more helpful reference materials about making OnLocation work with the Panasonic AG-HPX170P camcorder anyone can point me towards?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Dan 101

It was my understanding that OnLocation would only work at standard definition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to Dan 101

Did you get an answer to this? I have the same camera and am facing similar results. No image - You can select the panasonic camera in the monitor window but no image appears. All the references are extremely vague - I agree. It is as if Adobe assumes the product just works. I have checked the minimum requirements provided by adobe and your system and mine are almost identical so it could be s windows settings issue. I wonder if opening OL as administrator would help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Acap72

As a DVCPRO HD camera, the 170 is supported. OL CS5 also supports live monitoring and direct-to-disc recording of DV & HDV as well as ingest and playback of AVCHD and XDCAM EX content.

The most likely cause of video not showing in OnLocation is that the camera is set to one of the Native frame rates. When that's the case, Panasonic cameras stop sending the video stream out via FireWire, so there's simply no signal for OnLocation to receive. The solution is to change the frame rate to a non-native setting . Note that at 720 24P and 30P, OL records only the flagged frames, so you get the same savings in file size as when recording to the P2 card in a native frame rate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Thanks Mark,

Sometimes it is easy to forget stuff like that! I waqs preparing for a live shoot using 720 30pN which actually gave me much more recording time than 30p did on the p2cards...in anycase I knew that about the native settings....duh - I normally shoot in 1080 30p - but had been test shooting for the event in 30pn. So I didn't even check! Nice to know about the 30p in OL too.

I do have a question about the AVI files that Onlocation records -  I am very happy with the idea of recording direct- I was wondering what the specs are (4:2:2 ?) and if I should edit them in PP under DVCPRO HD (using settings from the camera) or if there was a better editing codec for those....thanks!

Also, During the shoot I transferred the files from the PMCIA adapter into a hard drive....can I ingest them with OL instead? Would that result in an AVI or the full p2 file?

Thanks again!

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to Acap72

OL dumps the data stream to disc without even touching it. To be more explicit, the app does not decode and re-encode the video. So the specs of the resulting clips will be exactly what's coming from the camera.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "if I should edit them in PP under DVPRO HD," particularly when you then refer to the codec. If you're asking which sequence preset to use, then that has more to do with your eventual output format than with the nature of the content. PPRO allows you to include any combination of content types on a given sequence. Moreover, the sequence properties have nothing to do with the codec that PPRO uses to decode assets in the timeline; the app uses the appropriate codec for each asset. So the closest I can come to recommending a sequence preset is that you work backwards from the settings to which you'll be encoding when all is said and done. If you plan to encode to a variety of settings, then go with the highest resolution, frame rate, etc.

To your last question, the answer depends on what you mean by "ingest." OnLocation provides no means for copying content from the camera's media onto a computer. For that step in the process, you can use the file browser or a utility like P2 Viewer -- or Adobe Prelude, the latest addition to Production Premium, which is all about ingesting video... Once you have the content on your computer, OnLocation can play the clips. The app does not alter the clips, so assuming they come off the camera as MXF files in the P2 folder structure, that's what you'll end up with.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points