Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Do multiple video tracks slow export time in premiere pro?

Jan 15, 2012 6:54 AM

I'm working on a dslr shot video.  The entire video is only 7 minutes, but when I export out the video, it takes an exceedingly long time.

The first minute is only a single layer video track and the export render moves at a normal pace.

But at 30%, its took about half and hour to increase 1%!   I'm thinking this is because this probably where I have multiple video track's stacked on each other (b-roll).

Do you guys always cut out the base video on top of which is b-roll to make a single layer video track?

Do multiple video tracks slow export time in premiere pro?

How can I optimize the export render speed?

HP 510t

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit

12GB Ram

i7 2600 CPU @3.4 GHz

Radeon ATI HD 5570

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to mystickid

The only way multiple tracks could slow down export if is you can see all of those tracks on screen, like Picture in Picture.  If you can only see the top layer track, then simply having video underneath that will not have any effect on export time.

Effects and such can slow things down.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to mystickid

If I have a timeline that is rendered (red line to green) and I make a change to an effect on 'hidden' track Premiere then red lines again and I have to re-render, so it does not ignore these unviewed tracks.

Richard Knight

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

Pay no attention to the render bar colors. If it plays, its good.

Get this book for more details about things you might want to know about using PrP...

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to lasvideo

But it doesn't till it has re-rendered.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to Richard M Knight

Like I said, if it plays its good...if it doesnt play, render it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to mystickid

I have mostly color correction and a vignette on most f the clips as effects.  Is this why its taking so long?

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

The only way multiple tracks could slow down export if is you can see all of those tracks on screen, like Picture in Picture.  If you can only see the top layer track, then simply having video underneath that will not have any effect on export time.

Hi. I experience the exact opposite of what you've said here in PrP CS6.

e.g.

1) Layer of video with 100% opacity with nothing underneath it.

2) I put some very heavy effects on it like Denoiser II.

3) I render that clip.

4) I place another video clip below it or move it over another video clip.

It now needs to be rendered again and will not play.

e.g.

1) Layer of video with 100% opacity with a clip underneath it.

2) I put some very heavy effects on it like Denoiser II.

3) I render that clip.

4) I remove the video layers from under it or move it to where something else is under it.

It now needs to be rendered again and will not play.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to 1johnricca

That has nothing to do with export.  Run a test of two exports, one with clips underneath, one without.  You'll see the same export time for both, so long as the clips underneath can't be seen at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Why does this happen? I care more about losing my previews than whether this causes longer export times or not. Also, it does indirectly affect export times since I often use "Use Previews" for made-for-web exports.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to 1johnricca

Just the way the program works when it calculates previews, I guess.  Ideally you should not be using them for export anyway, as it will normally involve an added layer of compression (and attendant artifacts) to your footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yes, I know this about using previews. But, when the previews are super HQ 1080p and I'm exporting for Vimeo at 720p the difference for our clients is negligible by the time Vimeo receives it and gives it their own compression, too. Yet the difference in export time is by hours, if not a day,  of waiting. Then, once it's convenient for us, we do a full export and replace the vimeo file. At least our clients get something a day earlier this way and they never notice a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to 1johnricca

the difference in export time is by hours, if not a day,  of waiting.

You either wait for the render or you wait for the export.  The total time will be about the same either way.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

But, I keep losing my renders... this is still making a huge difference. Simple math. Wasting my time rendering it multiple times and I need to render certain effects in order for it to even play at all in my timeline such as when using Twixtor or Denoiser II. The latter tends to freeze up my entire application until I render it.  Then it gets un-rendered if anything underneath it changes!

Many. Wasted. Hours.

Not. The. Same.

Ignorance.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to 1johnricca

I also have a Core i7-2600 machine, except I have the GTX 470 providing some Mercury enhancement.

I saw mention of DeNoiser II and that takes an excruciatingly long time to render. I'm talking overnight long! Like a frame per second long. So maybe that is the core of your issue? Honestly, I can't even get DeNoiser II to run right in Premiere CS6.0.3 - if I add it to a clip it pretty much brings the system to a standstill.

Also see that there is a concern about re-rendering after making changes. I get around this by applying DeNoiser II to the original source clip in After Effects rather than Premiere, and then Export from there to a NEW clip, and use the "DeNoised" version for editing. Often, I will start a project and midway through the edit decide to DeNoise it. Maybe because I didn't have time before starting the edit.

So my workflow is to use the original clip in Premiere. For instance, a wedding ceremony with 2 cameras, so I have two video clips. I can get the edit roughed out, and when time allows, I go into After Effects and DeNoise the original camera clip and export to a new clip. I normally use the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame HD codec for the new clip. In Premiere, in the Bin, I find the original camera clip that I am using for the editing, and I right-click and "Make Offline". Then right-click again, and choose "Link Media" and link clip to the NEW DeNoised version.

No matter how complex the edit, I therefore instantly replace all the noisy footage with clean footage! Sure, I could DeNoise first, but I usually don't decide to "bite the bullet" and do the long render until I'm halfway through the project and get sick of looking at the grainy clips. Anyway, kinda fun to globally update the whole sequence like magic! Note you must NOT trim the clip, new clip must be same length as original or it would of course throw all the edits off (unless you are doing this before editing).

The beauty of using AE for the "conversion" is that I can then color correct and make any editing changes in Premiere without needing to re-render DeNoiser clips. All very fast and smooth in Premiere. Of course, with the long render times, if I only need to render a shorter portion of a long source clip, I might Export that segment from Premiere to Matrox or Lagarith codec, Denoise that clip in AE, import new clip into Premiere and drop in replacement clip manually into timeline. Just did that yesterday because most of ceremony didn't look bad, just the close-up of the vows was dark and no way I was going to spend a solid day or more rendering the entire 50 minute clip, so I exported from Premiere only the short vows clip I was using, DeNoised in AE, then brought the cleaned result back into Premiere sequence manually.

Hope this helps your workflow if you can use any of these ideas.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points