Skip navigation
om3japan
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with missing bullets

Jan 15, 2012 11:23 AM

Tags: #missing #symbols #bullets

Hello,

I have placed text from a word document, containing a list with bullets. When placed in the indesign document, instead of bullets, I see little squares, like it cannot show the bullets, because they are missing symbols. I try to select them, but it is not posible. I try to delete them and replace them, but it doesnt allow me. How can I solve this problem? How can I delete the "missing symbols / squares" and substitute them for bullet? I will apprecuate ant help. Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to om3japan

Have you tried going into the bullets and numbering options in the style (if one was applied) or for each paragraph and selecting a new glyph for the bullet?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Have a similar problem that I think is close enough to not warrant its own thread.  Any help would be appreciated.

In short, I have a pdf that was likely created in Word (no idea which version). I placed this multi-page pdf into a much longer document without issue.  In InDesign CS5 it looks great on-screen.  Once exported to pdf from ID I no longer have bullets, but instead blocks of grey (almost like it's searching for missing glyphs).

I've tinkered with a couple Export options but am apparently missing the right choice.  This side-by-side will better demonstrate my issue: (oops...been searching the forums all morning and mislabelled my CS5 as 6)

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6548/bullets.jpg

Any thoughts? Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to tadees

What are you using to view the PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Acrobat Pro X

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to tadees

It would be worth checking the original and the exported versions to see what Acrobat has to say about the font used for the bullet...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

hmmm... somehow I missed the "The file you have opened complies with the PDF/A standard and has been opened read-only to prevent modification" notice across the top of the source .pdf.  Wonder if that's a security issue (though it doesn't seem like it would be)?

The source .pdf I'm using (in a classroom environment, with permission) is here.  The mutant output .pdf is here (sorry, it's uncompressed and kinda big, at 10MB).  And yes, I see the irony of putting together a Word course in ID. 

I do appreciate you taking the time to help me Peter (and based on what I'm seeing in other threads, the community as a whole). 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to tadees

I'm a bit pressed for time, today, so I'm probably not going to get to look at the PDFs...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks anyway Peter.  Perhaps I'll get lucky and another community member can help.  Thanks anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to tadees

you could look at the fonts, as suggested (use the text touchup tool to select them, then check the font properties), to see if you see a clue...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Looks like the bullets were the same font as the Header (Arial, no reason I can see it wouldn't work...)

Couldn't find the Touch-up Tool by name, but I think this is what you meant, to no avail. (kinda hard to see but the first bullet is highlighted in red).  I'm at a loss honestly; Afriad I'm going to have to build this placed .pdf from scratch in order to display correctly.  uugghhh...

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5194/arialfont.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to tadees

This is what I get from just page 10 of the Word PDF. I extracted that page...which, by the way, you can enable the editing via the button on the right of the PDFX notification).

capture-000032.png

I extracted that page, placed it in ID and exported out using PDFX-4.

Did you extract and place individual pages, or use a script or?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to MW Design

Afternoon Mike - Thanks for the timely reply. 

No, I did not extract individual pages. The document now is 70 pages long and will likely be ~125 or so when completed. 

I have the source .pdf that I placed into an ID document. I placed one .pdf page per ID page, so there was no resizing or anythign of the sort. PDFX-4, huh... I did some tinkering earlier (truthfully, ignorant of most of the options I'd de-/selected).  Lemme give it a shot in your suggested pdf Standard.

Be right back...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to tadees

After rereading your reply Mike, I think you may've misunderstood the original issue. 

The source .pdf looks good on-screen (the Word tutorial produced by someone else).  Looks good opening their .pdf, and looks fine when I place that multi-page .pdf into a fresh ID document.  From my Normal view and  Preview view in ID, everything looks correct (including bullets).  The issue is somewhere in the conversion from indd to pdf that the bullets get lost, and become a greyed-out blob.  

I've tried it now in all of the presets in the File > Adobe PDF Presets, including the PDFX-4(2008) setting but no luck.

Gimme a few, I'll grab a screencast in case I'm not using the right terminology (likely).  Thanks again for yoru patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to tadees

I was being lazy not to load the 20 pages. Sorry.

Here is the 20 page (roughly 2.75 megs) that I created from the Word PDF import to CS6.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/classroom.pdf

I am using Windows. And CS6. I can reload CS5.5 but I don't think this area of ID has really changed.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to MW Design

Perhaps the better question is where are you getting a Word PDF import? My source is a PDF already, which I then place into ID and export again as a PDF...?

I'm on Windows 7, using CS5, but I don't think that's the issue.  It's likely a checkbox... that I can't sem to find!  

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to tadees

Misunderstanding. I imported the PDF made from Word you linked to. I placed all the pages and exported as a PDFX-4 type of PDF out of ID and linked to that PDF on my web site.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to MW Design

Again, thanks for the timely reply.  I'll try again from a new document; I may've tweaked some setting incorrectly and just dorked up the whole document.  Appreciate the effort, no matter.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to tadees

Actually, it appears that IS the issue.

Also running Windows 7, I've downloaded the files and tried exporting to PDF using the same settings in CS5, 5.5, and 6. Works properly in CS6, but not inthe earlier versions. Looking at the actual PDF produced, it looks like a sort of "smearing" of the bullet glyph and graying of the leading slug. No idea waht is causing it, but I don't think you can fix it without moving to CS6 or getting a different version of the PDF. I'll paly for a few more minutes, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hate to say I'm happy here, but a little bit vindicated that I'm not that lost in ID.

I got the same "smearing" effect Peter, where you can kinda make out the bullet amidst an obvious block of black/grey. If you happen upon a work-around, obviously, I'd love to know.  That said, I hate to press upon you or Mike's time any further.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Tried "refrying," but no joy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to tadees

I think this is just a shortcoming in CS5 that can't be worked around. Ask the folks supplying the PDF if thay can give it to you in soemthing other than PDF/A or as a Word File.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Had to look that one up, but it does seem to be the underlying issue (refrying, for anyone interested).  To .pdf once, good; twice, not so much (seems to introduce a lot of potential issues).

Guess we can consider this closed, albeit without an obvious solution.  Thanks again all for the time, energy and effort looking into this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to tadees

Try placing this Word document.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Word_2007_Beginning.docx

Right-click and choose to save it on your computer.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to MW Design

OK, what gives...? 

1) how did you convert the source pdf to that pdf (or pdf > Word > pdf) that would, in turn, be recognized?

2) tried your sample and it worked beautifully, so it's likely not my system's setting...

C'mon with it Mike... What kind of voodoo did youdoo?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to MW Design

Can't place the .docx directly -- comes in all jumbled, but I was able to print it to PDF again in Word using the virtual printer, and THAT works in CS5.

Just be sure it hasn't changed anything in the process...

Thanks, Mike.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Here's a new PDF as well in case the OP doesn't have Word.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Word_2007_Beginning-01.pdf

But I cannot test it in CS5 obviously.

The fonts are embedded properly, at least. unlike the working PDF the OP was given.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Alright, I'll definitely give that a go. Seems like it'll work.

And the other ~5, maybe 6 Word docs that I have to import?

How/where did you get the .docx file, Mike?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to tadees

I exported out of Acrobat 11 to a docx file. The Word PDF was well formed and tagged properly and Word (Office 2010) opened it nicely. Then used the Acrobat plugin to create another PDF.

But..don't know how it works in CS5.

If you have issues with the other 5, feel free to PM me with a link to them (or put the links in this thread if they are also not sensitive) and I'll see what I can do.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to MW Design

Much appreciated Mike.  May take you up on the offer, though it may enough of a reason to justify the purchase to my higher-ups.  I'll give it a try in the demo...

Thanks again all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to tadees

Peter and Mike - Just wanted to post an update to our previous discussions...

1) That glyphs won't import (and be recognized) by ID is not an issue in CS6/ID8.  Following the advice here, I installed a current demo and exported said file to .pdf wihout issue; everything showed up fine (without the blocks of chunky grey);

2) ^^ said, I have no idea why. Just a "glitch", I suppose;

3) Just wanted to extend a sincere "Thanks" for both of you guys time and effort looking into this.  It does not go unnoticed, though I imagine it feels that way sometimes.  You do the community a great service by sharing your expertise.

:cheers:

-tadees

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points