Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No sound in my rendered Premiere elements 10 mpeg

Jan 16, 2012 5:04 AM

Tags: #no #audio #premiere #10 #mpeg #rendered #elemenets

I can hear the sound during playback in Premiere Elements 10 but not when exported as a rendered MPEG for playback on a PC or in other formats. I am just learning, and can't see anything obvious that I'm doing wrong, but this is probably something simple like a set up setting. Any help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Elementsnovice

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Parts 1 and 2 of my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com show you how to properly set up a project and get your video into your project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Elementsnovice

What share setting did you choose? (a screen shot will help, so people may see what you are doing)

Have you saved the user guide PDF to your computer for easy searching?

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to Elementsnovice

When an output file lacks Audio, the first thing that I think of is Multiplexing. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Check it out, and check the setting on your Multiplexer Tab in the Export/Share settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Elementsnovice

This is an excellent question. I have the same problem. I have seen Bill Hunt's suggestion a number of places about the multiplexing tab, but this is not an option that I see available under most of the export options I want (AVI or Windows media file). I did confirm that the export audio and the export video check-boxes were selected. That's not the issue. I'm at a loss.

In my situation if I import a video from my camera and then export the video without any edits I can save it as an AVI or windows media file. I can trim it and do simple edits. The sound exports just fine.

The problem comes when I try to add some background music into the audio channel Audio 2. So, I think Bill's right that this is about multiplexing, but again I can't see that tab option (AVCHD has it, but it still didn't work with either option I selected). When I add a second audio channel my exports no longer seem to work. WHY?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to Elementsnovice

Check your hard drive space. There must be space on the hard drive to allow for the sound to be saved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to magnum_jim

Thank you Magnum_jim for your quick response and suggestion. I very much

appreciate it after a stressful time trying to troubleshoot this problem.

The capacity of my computer has been a bit of a worry for me, as I am using

a work computer that is networked and has restrictions on my access. The

hard-drive space that I have available for this (I think this is the same

as the scratch disk location that can be identified under

Edit/Preferences/Scratch Disk) looks to be about 400 GB. I don't think

that's the problem, but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

- Heather

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to magnum_jim

Thank you Magnum_jim for your quick response and suggestion. I very much appreciate it after a stressful time trying to troubleshoot this problem.

The capacity of my computer has been a bit of a worry for me, as I am using a work computer that is networked and has restrictions on my access. The hard-drive space that I have available for this (I think this is the same as the scratch disk location that can be identified under Edit/Preferences/Scratch Disk) looks to be about 400 GB. I don't think that's the problem, but if I'm missing something, please let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to HeatherK1066

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to HeatherK1066

HeatherK1066

I just saw your posts and had some questions.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system (32 or 64 bit)?

2. If you are talking about Audio 2, you must be in the Timeline view of your program. Could you describe the environment into which you are positioning your Audio 2 audio? What is the Volume level for the Audio 2 audio?

3. What type of .avi and .wmv file are you exporting?

We will be looking forward to your follow up on my questions about the setup of the Timeline tracks used for the export with audio issues you described.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather,

The 400GB free-space should not be an issue.

The process for outputting a Multiplexed file (both a Video & Audio Stream in the same file) is basically as follows: The Video-only Stream is output to a file, then the Audio-only Stream is output to a separate file. There will be "helper files" (tiny, but necessary), and they direct the program to gather those two separate Streams, and combine them into one file, with both Streams. At a point, one will have three main files, the Video-only, the Audio-only, and the Multiplexed version. Then PrE will Delete the two individual Stream files, plus the helper files, leaving only the Multiplexed file, when everything goes, as designed. That can take up a lot more HDD real estate, than one might initially think, but your 400GB should be more than enough for ALL files, while the process is in action.

You are correct that some Export/Share options, like FLV, do not have a Multiplexing Tab, as that is part of the specs. for that/those file(s). However, the majority of the Export/Share options do have a Multiplexing Tab, and if set to None, there will be no Multiplexing - only the individual Video-only and Audio-only Stream files.

ATR has asked some good questions, and your answers might help in determining the cause and the solution.

I would also check a few other things out. Besides the yellow-orange "rubberband" line for Volume in your Clips, be sure to open up your Audio Mixer Panel, and check a few more things:

1. Is Mute checked for any Audio Tracks?
    2. When one plays the Timeline, with the Audio Mixer open, do any of the "sliders" move on their own?
    3. Do you have Levels showing in the meters for each Track, and what is their average Level?
    4. Do you see movement in the Master Levels meters?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi A.T. Ramano,

Thank you very much for your response. I am very grateful for everyone's assistance.

1. I am running Premiere Elements 10 using Windows XP Professional (32 bit).

Perhaps this is the trouble. I tried to do the same thing at home using my PE9 using Windows 7 Home edition (64 bit) and I had no problems. Maybe I need to upgrade my work system to a 64 bit.

2. Yes, I work in Timeline view. Admittedly, I often forget there is the other view option. The Audio 2 volume is set at -6.0dB. I wanted a bit quieter on this track, as it was being used as background music. The Audio 1 track that matches the video is set at 0.00 dB. My test video is only 10 seconds long while I figure this problem out. When I preview it everything sounds great. When I tried this at home it worked. But when I try to export this at work the audio garbles into a loud static-filled noise or nothing at all.

3. The AVI setting I'm using is the DVNTSC Standard (only has a video and audio tab without multiplexing - export video and export audio checkboxes are both turned on).

The Windows Media setting I'm using is the HD720p 25 (it has audiences, video and audio tabs without multiplexing - export video and export audio checkboxes are both turned on).

I've also tried MPEG using the NTSC DVD Standard (Multiplexer set to DVD, and export video and export audio checkboxes both turned on).

And I've tried QuickTime using NTSC DV (only has a video and audio tab without multiplexing - export video and export audio checkboxes both turned on).

- Heather

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather,

One quick question please: is the Audio on Audio Track 2 MP3? The reason that I ask is because some (many?) MP3's introduce issues of their own. My workflow is to always convert any MP3 source material to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, prior to Import. The only MP3 material that I will leave unconverted is for tiny SFX pieces.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for helping me figure this one out. I suspect when you find out that I'm running a 32-bit system, that may in fact be the problem. I really appreciate your description of the multiplexing. It is as I suspected it might be given your multiplexing article I read, but it really clarifies it for me. Pretty amazing software. As for your questions:

1. Mute - it's not turned off in any of the audio tracks

2. When I play the Timeline with Audio Mixer open, yes, the sliders don't move (I didn't set any keyframes with this particular test video), but the green audio levels vary as people are talking and the background music is running.

3. The average meters seems to be on the Audio 1 about -6.0dB, bouncing up to 0. The Audio 2 track seems to be about -12.0 dB, bouncing up to about -6.0 dB.

4. I don't see anything labelled a Master Levels meters. I might be misunderstanding this question. In the Audio Mixer I see five columns of sound tracks - Audio 1 (sound file looks good), Narration (empty - no activity), Soundtrack (empty - no activity), Audio 2 (background music file, looks good), and Audio 3 (empty - no activity).

Thanks again for your help Bill.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

YIPEEEEE!!!!

You solved the problem Bill! Thank you! (insert video clip of cheering crowds)

Yes, it was an evil MP3 that was the problem. I tried it out on my test video and got a little excited when I replaced the MP3 file with another WAV file and it worked. Then I tried it on my actual project, where I had three different audio channels going, and as soon as I deleted the evil MP3 file, it all worked out. WOW. I feel like I can now see the finish line. So close.

Can you use PE10 to convert the MP3 file? At work I have very limited options for software, and it took several weeks to get permission from our tech folks to purchase it (and it was fortunately a pre-approved software). If I can't use PE10, does Adobe have another peice of software that can do it?

- Heather

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather

Congratuations to you on your success based on Hunt's suggestion to convert your Audio 2 audio (.mp3). Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you found success with a completely different audio (WAV).

Yes, you can convert a .mp3 file to .wav (Windows Waveform) in Premiere Elements 10's Share/Computer/Audio, but before you do that, please consider:

I have just finished test runs of exactly what you described for Windows XP 32 bit/Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 as well as for Windows 7 64 bit/Premiere Elements 10, using the same Video 1/Audio 1 and Audio 2 .mp3 files. There was no problem found. I could not confirm your issue and was about to suggest

a. checking the audio card driver

b. moving Audio 2 content to the Soundtrack

c. asking for a screenshot of your Timeline

d. doing a Time Stretch setting check out for the Audio 2 file

etc.

However, much of that is negated by your findings that I found when I got back to the Forum. In view of my findings, it will be interesting to determine if your problem's cause was related to that specific .mp3 file rather than to any .mp3. So, looking forward to learning if you can convert that particular .mp3 file into a usable .wav one (Share/Computer/Audio).

I am still curious why you did not have the problem on both computer operating systems, using the same .mp3 in the Premiere Elements program.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather

Just a quick note...

In your details for your Audio 2 issue, you mentioned one of your exports as being HD 720p25. That is a PAL frame rate. All prior details seemed to me to be NTSC oriented frame rate wise. Did you really want HD720p25 instead of HD72030? This is just a point of workflow information that I do not believe impacts the core of the issue that you faced.

NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for HD as they do for SD, but the frame rate is still important for some frame rate regional considerations.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather,

I use Adobe Audition (a separate Adobe program, just for editing audio), but one can convert with many other programs, such as the free Audacity. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4146900#4146900

Some MP3's work just fine, and instill a false sense of security, as some just do not work, and some will not Import. I no longer bother testing MP3's, and just automatically convert all to the PCM/WAV's @ 48KHz 16-bit, before I Import. I am sure that I am doing extra work with some (ones that would probably work fine), but have incorporated that step into my workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi ATR,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. I was so excited when I had a fix to the problem that I wanted to finish my project and get it out to our staff. With that done, I can now reflect further on what went wrong.

It looks like this is not just an isolated evil sound file. I think that my work computer doesn't accept a lot of sound files. It makes me wonder if your suggest for "a. checking the audio card driver" might be in order. I'm not an expert at this, but I think I have a SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio (but I could be mixed-up and this could just be a driver).

The only two sound file sources that seem to work are from my video camera and from the .wav files created from Sonicfire Pro 5 SmartSound software that came bundled with PE10 (that's what I used to create the background music that worked). I tried to convert the .mp3 files into .wav files using PE10, but on my system it didn't work. I then used an online converter and things appeared to work well (it would play the audio on my computer using Windows Media player, and it would preview in PS10, but it would not render a finished file with the audio). So, a friend in the office came up with a workable solution. I played the .mp3 file on my speakers and filmed it with my camera. Crazy, but it worked. Fortunately, I'm not working on a Hollywood quality video. It was a 45-second teaser for employees that would be shared electronically with an e-mail directing people to the file on our intranet.

By the way, in answer to one of your other questions - I have tried other audio channels. In fact, I had originally tried the soundtrack file, but that didn't seem to be the problem.

You last point that you were curious why I didn't have the problem on both computers I think comes down to the possibility that my computer at work has an issue. Does the 32 bit vs. 64 bit mean anything? Would a sound card problem mean that files some sound files might not be rendered, even though I can hear them in the preview mode?

In the meantime, I'm just so happy that my video is finished. I have a clearer sense of what I can't do on this computer. I have a work-around that means I can have music in my productions (although the quality isn't fabulous). And I'm hopeful I might figure out a more long-term solution.

- Heather

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather,

Regarding the Audio card/chip and the driver, I would first open Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and check the Sound section. You should see your Audio card/chip listed there. Also, you should be able to confirm the driver number and date of that installed driver.

Next, from my limited research, it appears that the driver update is here: http://www.driverupdate.net/articles/dl/soundmax-drivers?aps=mainsplit _download

I did not see any ads for other products (unlike the CNet driver pages), but always check before downloading. On many Web sites, the biggest "Download" buttons are for something completely different, and not what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when one begins experiencing Audio/Sound issues, checking for updated drivers is a good "first step." Same for display issues and video drivers from the mfgr.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If you have problems following the Control Panel link above, this illustration might prove useful. It is from XP-Pro, so your screens might look a bit different:

Sound_Driver.png

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to HeatherK1066

Heather,

Thank you so much for the update, comments, and other thoughtful insights into your workflow.

Most of all, congratulations on mission accomplished. Great job.

We know you are busy at work, but, when you get a chance, please update us on the audio driver troubleshooting.

I do not have Adobe Audition. But I will review the alternatives for .mp3 to .wav conversion and post back on that if necessary for your future projects.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points