Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

smoke

Jan 16, 2012 12:07 PM

Is there a way to create smoke with after effects, without importing anything?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Rama1234ish

Check out one of AE's particle effects.  You'll probably find a tutorial someplace describing how to create smoke with one of them.  Check out Videocopilot... or even the links to AE tutorials found within this document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Rama1234ish

Does this mean that you tried to use a particle effect in AE intuitively, and didn't bother to look first at the tutorials to which you were directed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

There are a bunch of ways to create smoke. Particle World, Fractal Noise, feathered masks, blend modes, but there isn't a button that you click that creates smoke from nothing. You've got to learn at least the basics and follow some procedures. The closes you'll get to smoke in a single click is one of the animation presets. They're not very convincing, both use fractal noise, neither are transparent, but you can fix all that if you know the basics.

It would also know what kind of smoke you are looking to generate. Smoke drifting through the woods after a forest fire is a whole different problem than smoke from a campfire, is a whole different problem than smoke from an explosion, is a whole different problem than smoke form spinning tires.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Rama1234ish

Unless the YouTube tutorials come from a reliable source -- Red Giant Software would be one among a few -- those things are hit-and-miss in terms of quality.  For example, I wouldn't waste my time on any tutorial done by someone with a handle like "VideoBunny211".  Hence the reason I pointed you to a page with links to trustworthy stuff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points