• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Transfer ColdFusion site to new server?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend has a coldfusion site with access database that needs to get transfered to a new server can anyone explain the process? Also do you actually need coldfusion locally on your computer to develop a website, or can it all be done online? I have never worked with ColdFusion before and need some advice.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty simple, actually. A CF site is basically just a directory with a bunch of files, and a few settings within the CF server itself. First, you'll need to catalog these settings so you can create them on the new server. Then, copy the files from the old server to the new server, make any necessary adjustments if paths are different on the two servers, and you're all set.

It's possible for CF developers to write setup scripts that will actually take care of all this, but my assumption is that you don't have one of those for this application.

Finally, you don't need to have CF installed locally on your own computer. You don't need anything other than a text editor on your own computer, and a network connection to the CF server's filesystem. That said, it's much easier to develop CF sites with CF locally installed, as you can fiddle around with the server easier. The developer version of CF is free for just this purpose.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Godaddy dropped coldfision so I don't believe I have access to it to check the server settings. Basically what I have is a copy of the directory and the access database. Should I just point the new server to the database what other settings do I need to know? I really appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, your best bet is just to recreate the datasource, temporarily turn on error display (under Debugging and Logging in the CF Administrator, I think) and try running the app. If there are any problems, you'll see them and can resolve them one by one until everything's working.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright I am still having troubles maybe you might be able to suggest something.

This is what I have done so far.

1. I have a ColdFusion supported server hosting plan with readyhosting.com

2. I added my domain and pointed it to a subdirectory of the root.

3. I uploaded all the files from the old CF site to the directory via ftp.

4. I added the DSN and pointed it to the MS Access Database within the directory.

Right now my server is not displaying the .cfm files so nothing shows up at all, any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CaptainColumbus wrote:

Alright I am still having troubles maybe you might be able to suggest something.

This is what I have done so far.

1. I have a ColdFusion supported server hosting plan with readyhosting.com

2. I added my domain and pointed it to a subdirectory of the root.

3. I uploaded all the files from the old CF site to the directory via ftp.

4. I added the DSN and pointed it to the MS Access Database within the directory.

Right now my server is not displaying the .cfm files so nothing shows up at all, any ideas?

Some crucial questions are unanswered.

1. What was the previous version of ColdFusion, an what is the current version? If you move, for example, from CF4.5 to CF8, then you will have to expect the code to require changes.

2. Have you verified whether the change in diectory structure affects the code?

3. Do you have an application file? (Check the root directory in the directory structure of your previous site). If so, did you copy it to the right location on the new server? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to have CF installed on that server to process the tags, and the WEB server needs to understand to process .cfm files using the CF server software.

Try creating a hello.html file with the infamous "Hello World!".  Point your browser to the URL\hello.html to determine if the DNS is being resolved to the correct server.  If it is then change the file name to hello.cfm and point your browser to the new file.  If nothing is being displayed then coldfusion isn't configured for that directory.  Is this an Apache or IIS box?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation