Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating an exploding head effect?

Jan 23, 2012 12:43 PM

Can anyone give me some advice on how to create an effect similar to what is in the attached image? I want to replicate the exploding head part.

Thanks!opening.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to media kat

This is basically an illustration, not an effect. And as with a drawing, there's not much point in asking 'how do I draw this', because the only answer is 'learn to draw'.

That said, what specifically did you want to recreate? Because there are many individual elements which you could be given steps to recreate. Ask and you shall recieve.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to media kat

Looks like that might have been created with the Smudge Tool, and progressively smaller Brushes.

You can replace much of the crown of the head with that "tile" background, on a lower Layer. Then experiment with the Smudge Tool, and maybe even create some small, "chisel" shaped Brushes.

The pieces could well be created from segments of the forehead, and placed onto their own Layer, to be Scaled and Rotated (Free Transform would be useful here), to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The computer monitor, in this old magazine cover, was done in that fashion, and the "smoke" was done in Painter, onto Layers w/ adjusted Opacity:

New_Review.png

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 23, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to media kat

One simple way would be just to combine parts two photographs, one of a head and one of something exploding.  I'm sure there are "movie magic" people who have done things like mock up head models and inject them with air or use a small explosive to get the realism.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to media kat

Oh, that's easy. All you gave to do is do a post here about using your monitor profile as a working space, and then take a picture of my head exploding.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 23, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Or the Oxymoron that is "Good Browser Color Management". 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points