Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Combining PDF Form causes fields to disappar, Acrobat to crash when trying to edit combined PDF

Jan 25, 2012 6:13 AM

Tags: #acrobat #crash #windows #acrobat_form #combine_files #acrobat_10

I have a 10 page PDF form that I can edit normally.  I combine it using the Combine Files wizard.  The resulting PDF has several fields disappear upon saving, and causes Acrobat to crash every time if I try to edit the form.  I can combine the original PDF form with no other document, and the error still occurs.  I have several similarly named fields, such as Name#1 and Name#2, and it seems that all those fields disappear after going through the Combine Files process.  I can open the resulting PDF, and fill in the remaining fields, but attempting to edit the form causes Acrobat to crash each and every time.

I have used this process before, with no problems, but it fails every time on this form.

This is the error in the Event Viewer: Faulting application Acrobat.exe, version 10.0.0.396, time stamp 0x4cc5ebc0, faulting module AcroForm.api, version 10.0.0.396, time stamp 0x4cc5f5cc, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0012d905

This is using Acrobat X Standard and Pro on XP Pro and Vista.

If I open the original PDF, and insert a new PDF as new pages, that works fine.

I updated Acrobat to the latest patch, problem remains.  I don't know how to resolve this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to AVTTCLC

Do you experience the same problem if you use the Insert command instead of the Combine command? Do you have more than one version of Acrobat and or Reader installed on the same system?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to AVTTCLC

Can you please share the pdf file you are using so that i can reproduce the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 4:57 PM   in reply to AVTTCLC

Has this topic been resolved?

I'm experiencing the same issue in Acrobat XI. Whenever i use the Combine feature to combine one of more AcroForms, all appears to be OK. However after the form is saved, it appears certain fields disappear. You can go into edit mode and see the fields are there, but they have odd properties (i.e. a font size of 2542.2). In addition, attempting to Clear the form does not seem to work...all the data remains in the form fields.

Not sure what's causing this issue!

Any help much appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,676 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2014 5:04 PM   in reply to SI_MSD7

It's hard to say without looking at the files involved.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 5:08 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Well now that I tried using "Insert from file" I get this error: An incorrect structure was found in the PDF file.

This occured when attempting to insert a regualar PDF cover sheet with an AcroForm. I've seen this error before, but usually the notification is a warning letting you know that fields with the same name will have copied data (when combing one of more ArcoForms).

I'll see abotu posting a link to dropbox re: the file

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 5:28 PM   in reply to SI_MSD7

Did a little more testing and this is what I found. If I use the "Insert from file" feature to combine a cover sheet plus 3 AcroForms (inserting each file one by one), eveyrthing appears to work.  However, if I use the "Combine via Acrobat" feature I run into the issue of fields disappearing once combined.

I shoudl also add that perhaps the issue had something to do with the fact that I initally produced the cover page pdf via Photoshop "save as PDF". Perhaps that contirbutted to the structure issue despite it being a PDF...maybe under the hood things are structured differently.  Who knows.

Just FYI for others: What appears to be working is using the "Insert from file" option vs "Combing via Acrobat". Also, if you are including a non-AcroForm PDF, be sure it a traditional vs. saving as a PDF from Photoshop.

Alot of this may be a fluke, but it seems to fix my issue - for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 5:49 PM   in reply to SI_MSD7

Last findings: I found if you FIRST open the AcroForm then insert a non-AcroForm PDF (i.e. a cover page with text and images) using the "Insert from File" option, everyhtign works OK.  However, if you open the cover page first then attempt to insert an AcroForm into the non-AcroForm cover thats when I get errors.

So, in conclusion...it appears first opening an AcroForm, then inserting a non-AcroForm pdf into the AcroForm pdf file works OK...NOT the other way around. And I imagine you should use the "Insert from file" option to combine.  Also, I found that a PDF saved from Photoshop does work afterall. Just be sure ot open form then insert cover.

Hope this helps someone now or years from now

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points