Skip navigation
Brian0523
Currently Being Moderated

Professional Edition Pricing Question

Jan 26, 2012 11:06 AM

OMG Adobe is really going off the rails here.  I have a few general questions about the Professional Edition (Annual vs. Monthly) that NO ONE in Adobe Sales 800# could answer for me.  I'm trying to sell the idea of a digial magazine to my print client, and I literally cannot do so without getting all the details tied down prior to my client meeting.

Basically I need to know what are the pros/cons to buying the Professional Edition Annual over the Monthly service?

Will I be able to access Omniture Analytics any time I wish for each Magazine I publish - regardless of Annual or Monthly subscriptions?

Also, if we purchase additional .folio downloads, do they expire after a certain period of time?

OMG - I will kiss the feet - send flowers - name my first born after whomever can answer these questions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Brian0523

I'll try to help you from my experience.

From what I understand ( and which seems to make sense ) is that if you purchase a Monthly License for 1 month, you only have access to the Folio Producer, Analytics and Distribution service for 1 month. Thereafter, if you've released a multi-folio app, users will not be able to download any more folios as they are removed from the Distribution service. To maintain this service you will need to constantly renew your monthly subscription.

With regards to the folios expiry and as above I would think your unused folios would expire after that 1 month period.

With the Annual license, your included folios expire with your license. Additional folio purchases expire after 1 year. So perhaps if you purchase additional folios they might carry a longer validity period and extend beyond your license period, but I'm not sure what they would be attached too, as your are technically no longer a user of the DPS service.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Brian0523

From reading through my service contract, it appears that you will likely be billed for additional downloads 'out of bundle'. This is at Adobe's discretion, perhaps if it's just a handful of downloads they won't bother billing. The 'out of bundle' downloads essentially occur in the period between the time you have exhausted your folio credits and when your service is 'shut off'.

Let's say you purchase the Annual service tomorrow, but you use your folio bundle in 3 months. You will need to pre-purchase another bundle to allow your users to continue being able to download updates or new content. Adobe will not bill you in $.30 increments indefinitely. Even if you are in your license period, you run the risk of having the folios removed when you have not pre-purchased more folio credits. There are likely other ramifications to your App still being live on the app store and new users still polling the distribution service for data so I would advise checking all this detail when signing up. I don't recall all this detail right now. Also I think it would be wise to budget for this or advise your client of these conditions in some sort of contract with them, if you think it's likely.

Perhaps someone from Adobe could assist, this advice is really just off the top of my head. That said, if you do sign-up, read your service contract in detail, especially if you're in an agency environment, there are details you will need to know to bill this correctly and ensure your client pays in total for their uninterrupted service.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to ArcInteractive

ArcInteractive - Thats a pretty accurate summation of how Pro monthly vs Pro yearly works.

Brian - If you are having problems getting answers through Adobe sales, sedn me a PM with contact info and I'll have someone contact you. Most of our Pro yearly deals are being done by partners who can provide assistance on the right number of downloads to purchase and explain the contract.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to John J Metzger

All this system is so frightening. The complete opposite of the PDF which has been designed in the early 1990s to massively spread documents.

This is the most complicated, protected, time and money waster, publishing system that I have ever seen.

We are in the 21st century and instead of making things more and more simpler, everything is more and more difficult and only accessible to rich corporations.

If the founder of Adobe had the same plan for the PDF, this format would have been a long time souvenir only to people who are today more than 40 years old.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to ArcInteractive

Hi,

Both DPS Pro Annual and DPS Pro Monthly are 'annual contracts'. It is not possible to sign-up for just a month and then terminate the contract. The main differences between the two

• With Pro Monthly, you'll be billed (through your creditcard) per month -- this option is sold online through Adobe.com
    • With Pro Annually, you'll be billed for a full annual cycle (upfront - through a regular invoice) -- this option is sold through DPS resellers

There are a lot of companies who just want to use the regular 'invoice' cycle instead of going the creditcard route.

• DPS Pro Monthly will include 250 folio downloads in the first contract
    • DPS Pro Annual will include 5000 folio downloads in the first contract

Additional folio packages can be downloaded (smallest being 10.000 downloads). These packages are pre-paid and valid for a year from the moment of purchase. The package becomes obsolete when it has reached "0" or the period of one year since purchase has passed (whichever comes first). It is possible to buy multiple packages at the same time, or multiple packages in a year.

The Analytics dashboard will be available for both DPS Pro offerings.

Feel free to reach out (in this conversation) or through a private message if you need additional info

With kind regards,

Klaasjan Tukker

Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

Klaasjan,

Can you clarify how many apps and folios the Professional Edition allows you to create?  The pricing guide mentions "unlimited folios" but says nothing about the number of apps you can create.  Thanks.

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

Unlimited apps, unlimited folios.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

That's very helpful to know.  Thank you for the quick response John.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

@Klaasjan Tukker:

i have questions concerning the terminology that you are using, maybe you can clairify... when you say " DPS Pro Monthly will include 250 folio downloads in the first contract," does this mean that after you have created say just one .folio application that it can only be downloaded 250 times the end users? Furthermore, after that 250 is used up then will you be charged an additional $ 0.30 per additional download?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Brian0523

So, if you were to purchase the single edition does that mean that you have unlimited amout of downloads from the Apple app store, for the one app?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Klaasjan Tukker

When you say "DPS Pro Monthly will include 250 folio downloads in the first contract", does that mean 250 downloads per month or per year?

|
    Mark as:
  • Lohrii Alo
    501 posts
    Mar 29, 2012
    Jul 19, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Isabel Work

250 downloads per month with DPS Pro Monthly

|
    Mark as:
  • Lohrii Alo
    501 posts
    Mar 29, 2012
    Jul 19, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to kuciaand

Correct, unlimitted  downloads from the Apple store for built in single app. Because the content is wrap inside your app and hosted on Apple, hence no folio download charges

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to Lohrii Alo

For single apps, are you then allow to update the app if need be? Will there be additional costs?

|
    Mark as:
  • Lohrii Alo
    501 posts
    Mar 29, 2012
    Jul 20, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to techboy96

If you currently own a Single Edition License(serial), you will not be able to update the app unless you purchase another license(in exceptional cases of technical error with the app, Adobe can reset your serial number and let you re-built and update, contact supoport).

However, with Creative Cloud membership you can built unlimited single edition apps(coming soon, not announced yet) hence you can update your app anytime with CCM

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to techboy96

Define update.

If you find a typo or other minor change there won't be a charge but major changes will require a new license. As pointed out, CC will soon have unlimited SE licenses.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks. This is excellent news for SE!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status