Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opening an Indesign file from server slows down [very urgent please]

Jan 31, 2012 12:38 AM

Hi All,

1. I have a book that is already paginated. (Every indesign file has hyperlinks targeted to the another indesign file (paragraph Anchor destinations)).
  2. After few days the server was crashed due to some network problems.
  3. Now a new server has been created with different name and path.
  4. If I try to open the indesign file it takes much much longer time than usual, For the same file if I disconnect the network connection it is working as usual.

What is the cause of this? Is there any way to overcome this issue or any work around? At the same time I need to retain the hyperlinks also. Because it is very very difficult to re-create the links (more than 100 or 200 number of links will be there in every chapter).

Note: I have tried something like trashing indesign preferences. It is also not working.

Thanks,

Green4ever

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jan 31, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Green4ever

Try opening the second file (the one that the first file links to) first, then with it still open, open the problem file. Does that help?

Maybe you should ask your network administrators for help? Possibly restore your file from backups?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Green4ever

It sounds to me like the problem is the new server path, and hopefully once the files are corrected and resaved so everything points to the new path (and I don't do hyperlinks, so I'm not sure, but you may have to fix them all manually) and the files are saved you should be back to normal.

John may have some thoughts about a script that can do the path corrections for you, though.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jan 31, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Green4ever

While it is possible, I suspect you're better off exporting to IDML, opening the IDML, and looking for the path references that are problematic, and perhaps fixing them with global-search-and-replace. Remember IDML is a zipped archive, so unzip it first.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Feb 1, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to Green4ever

They should both work fine, though I've heard of some people having problems with WinXP's compression.

Did you make sure the folder structure was exactly the same? Multiple files in the toplevel, not all in one directory, etc.?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points