Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

using pathfinder>divide

Jan 31, 2012 9:03 AM

I following this tutorial here.http://www.vectordiary.com/illustrator/illustrator-tutorial-wooden-fra me/

At some point it says to use pathfinder>divide to break the shape into pieces so as to manipulate/paint them easier.

Well, i followed the tutorial either i am doing sth wrong either i did not understand well what the outcome of the above will be.

As I see it, dividing the shape(with all the rectangles and lines in it ) will give me more pieces-more precisely i assume that i should get

also the very thin rectangles that are formed between the inner one and the middle(there are 3 rectangles-all created using offset technique.)

The above does not happen-and maybe it cannot be done either way-not that i am doing something wrong. As i said

earlier maybe i did not understood quite well what the tutorial means by saying "breaking into pieces".

See the attached picture-it has an arrow that pinpoints what piece i would expect to break and it does not, the shape has 4 sides, with the arror i am just pinpointing

one of them. After the divide action i just get 3 rectangles and 4 lines(the ones in the corners of the shape).

VERY SORRY FOR THE LENGTH OF THE MESSAGE.

main_article_back.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Difficult to say what should happen and what actually happened. Without seeing the layer panel you can't tell which objects are there. Maybe you should ask the author of that tutorial.

It would also help if you don't just click here and click there but use this tutorial together with the manual and try to understand what happens and how Illustrator works.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Try Live paint. It should do what you need. You need to select all the objects and then you cann fill the areas surrounded by paths. Consult the manual concerning the options, especially how to handle gaps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points