Skip navigation
Doubledutch20
Currently Being Moderated

Can't sign AIR application so it can be uploaded to Apple

Jan 31, 2012 1:30 PM

Tags: #air #iphone #ios

This should have been the easy bit.... Having spend weeks developing an AIR application (using a developer certificate) the big day arrived to upload the App to the AppStore for review. That was Sunday everning (48 hours ago) and since then I've been trying to get my App passed the "Apple Application Loader" with out any luck. I normally work on a Windows machine but have also tried the Mac Key Chain approach without any luck so here is my cry for help. So the steps I followed  are:

• Download XCode to my Mac
  • Use CS5.5 on my PC
  • Develop application with AIR for IOS / ActionScript 3.0
  • Follow these instructions: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666a de46-7ff0.html - in summary - using SSL installed on a Ubuntu 10.04 box
    • "openssl genrsa -out mykey.key 2048"
    • "openssl req -new -key mykey.key -out CertificateSigningRequest.certSigningRequest  -subj "/emailAddress=[MY_APPLE_EMAIL], CN=[MY_NAME], C=US"
    • Upload: CertificateSigningRequest.certSigningRequest as my Distribution Key to my iOS Provisioning portal
    • Download the "Distribution certificate" to my Ubuntu server (I don't seem to have a use for the WWDR file - should I use that somehow?)
    • Convert the Distribution certificate to a PEM file using: openssl x509 -in distribution_identity.cer -inform DER -out distribution_identity.pem -outform PEM
    • Convert PEM to a P12 file: openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey mykey.key -in distribution_identity.pem -out iphone_dist.p12
    • Create a new distribution profile on iOS developer site using this new distribution certificate and download it
  • In CS5.5 - Publishing profile - Player Development settings
    • use iphone_dist.p12 as the development certificate
    • use the downloaded distribution profile as the provisioning profile
    • Set the deployment type to "Apple App Store"
  • Publish

I get a nice and shiny ipa file which I then put on my mac and try to upload it using Application Loader which rejects it with:

Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an iPhone Distribution Certificate

I've tried to regenerate everything about 20 times now on Mac and Windows but always with the same result. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Doubledutch20

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple signing.

Is there any way you could do all the code signing on the Mac? It's

going to be challenging to decipher what the problem is using the method

you outlined below.

The only thing I can suggest is to make absolutely sure that you're

using Distribution provisioning profiles along with the matching

Distribution cert. I've created a number of tutorials showing the

process for creating Distribution profile/certs here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9AF0005B1B5ED1D

It could be in the way the cert is created with openssl, hard to tell

for sure.

iBrent

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to iBr3nt

Hi iBrent,

I've spent many hours creating and revoking certificates today because I couldn't upload to the App store through application loader. The ipa distribution files always installed to my iPad but would not be accepted for review. Finally, I came across this post and followed your video tutorials. I can't believe it but this time my app uploaded. Here's my question. Since uploading the app, I decided to test the app once again on my iPad with the new certs and provisioning profiles. I was able to get the app onto my device using the development cert and profile but NOT with the distribution cert and profile. Now I'm worried that the app I uploaded will have a problem. Do you know why an app would be accepted for review but not be able to install onto my device? It's weird that all of the earlier failed distribution apps would install to my iPad but didn't pass application loader. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Colleen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to cmk7

Hi Colleen,

When you sign an app for distribution you can't easily install on your

device to test with. Technically you can go through a commandline

process with Xcode tools to get it to install, but once it's signed for

distribution, don't worry that it doesn't install. If you've tested the

app with the developer signing, and everything works as planned, then

the final app should be fine. Besides, Apple will certainly tell you is

something isn't right with your app.

Good luck!

iBrent

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to iBr3nt

Thank you so much! I suppose I can stop worrying and get some sleep tonight. What an ordeal!

Your videos are terrific. I can't thank you enough.

Colleen

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points