Feb 3, 2012 4:55 AM

Latest reply: Noel Carboni, Mar 9, 2012 4:44 AM
Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Yammer

I've lost track - you're running Catalyst 12.1?

We have shown that this particular version is a bust - apparently it has resource problems with shaders.

Best thing to do is to uninstall it and drop back to the very stable 11.7 release.  I've done just that and Photoshop has been exemplary.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 17, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Yammer

I like the old Air Force saying:  "It's fast, I don't care!  It blows up in midair!!"

I have hopes for Catalyst 12.2. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Yammer

Likewise - 11.7 has been good here too.

My hopes are only from the knowledge that Chris Cox said they'd been interacting with ATI on the problems in the 12.1 drivers.

Is 12.2 out?  I've been on a trip and haven't had a chance to look for a couple of days.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

Is 12.2 out?

Only the preview, and no mention of Adobe.

I don't normally try out pre-release versions, but I do need to test the actual release when it comes out. 

An inability to continue to compile shaders is a pretty serious issue; I hope they fix it, giving us both better performance and reliability in the next version.

But 12.2 is still not released, even on the next-to-last day of the month, so they're really pushing this one to the limit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Yammer

I've been running 12.3 (which is what it says it is after you install the release they externally call 12.2) for 1 full day now, and have not had a lick of trouble so far.  It looks like they fixed the shader resource management problem they introduced in 12.1.

Note that I've only been running Photoshop CS5 64 bit - I haven't tested with 32 bit yet.

Unfortunately, the small gain in Photoshop interactivity I felt when moving up to 12.1 doesn't seem to be there at all in this version.  In all honesty it feels about the same.  Perhaps not managing shader resources properly was what was giving the performance gain we saw in painting before.

I ran the Passmark benchmark and it's ever so slightly faster than with 11.7.  I see no difference in Windows WEI score.

Your call whether you want to chance it.  If you do upgrade, check your performance carefully before and after to see if you notice a difference - to double check my results.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points