Skip navigation
rivrbend
Currently Being Moderated

Error message:  Adobe InDesign CS5 has stopped working

Feb 6, 2012 7:26 PM

Hi,

I am having a strange problem.  When I open an InDesign file, I get the error message above.  Then windows is looking for a solution.  I close the window and reopen the file and it opens right up.  This problem does not occur if I open InDesign first then open the file.  Only when I try to open the file and InDesign starts to run.  I am running Windows 7 64bit.  Any ideas out there?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to rivrbend

Windows 7 doesn't do a lot of error reporting, but there might be some clue in Event viewer.

IN the meantime, it won't hurt to trash your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to rivrbend

rivrbend wrote:

The other problem i didn't mention which hasn't started up again (yet) is that I would click on one file, another previously opened file would open first and then the desired file would open.

That actually sounds like auto-recovery kicking in after a crash. I would expect to see this if another file had been open at the time of the crash. At next launch ID should open an "untitled" document with the last recovery state for every file that you had open when it crashed.

I'm suspicious that you have some sort of software conflict, or possibly just a damaged installation. Do you have any third-party plugins installed, or do you use a font manager? What about anti-virus or malware scanners?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to rivrbend

You should be able to move everything out of the folders where your prefs are stored and ID would rebuild on next launch. This is starting to sound like an issue inthe licensing/activation system, but that might be a red herring. How many machines have you installed on?

You might, at this point, want to deactivate from the help menu, unistall from control panel, run the clean tool (Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool), then reboot, run MSconfig to turn off all non-essetnial startups and services especially zone alarm and any browser toolbars or helpers, iTunes, and messengers, reboot again and reinstall, then run MSconfig again to restore normal startup.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to rivrbend

If the cleaner will leave photoshop in place, I think that's OK. I've never had to run it myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to rivrbend

OK. Sorry that didn't work.

This happens only when trying to open a file from Explorer or Bridge? Do you have Q2ID or Suitcase?

You might also want to try disabling SING. I think the normal issue with SING is a hang, not a crash, but see SING Removal

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to rivrbend

I doubt this is a bad font issue. A bad font would crash ID no matter how you ope the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to rivrbend

It was a long shot.

At this point I can't think of anything else to try off the top of my head, but maybe tomorrow in the shower -- that's where I do my best thinking.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

"Do you have any third-party plugins installed, or do you use a font manager?"

I'm having the same problem and I have FontExpert 2011 installed..could that be the case of my indesign 5.5 not working?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to thre3

Haven't heard of Font Expert causing trouble, but that doesn't rule it out. Remove the auto-activation plugin, if it has one, from InDesign and see if tit helps.

Have you tried the other stuff discussed here?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

yea nothing seems to work...this happened after I installed fontexpert. I uninstalled it and restarted my comp, still nothing. I'm going to reinstall and see if that helps I guess

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to thre3

How long ago was that? Perhaps a System Restore would be easier to start.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

heh, that was the first thing I did...I'm going to troubbleshoot for a while and see if I can come up with anything

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to rivrbend

I'm having the same problem since installing Windows 7.

Why is it that all my problems are on my PC at work while my Mac at home humms away nicely.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to NoPhD

NoPhD wrote:

Why is it that all my problems are on my PC at work while my Mac at home humms away nicely.

Probably more to do with it being a work computer and lots of users or poor configuration than anything related to platform. Every job I ever held had more trouobles at work than I have at home, and at work it was always Macs, with Windows at home.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to rivrbend

I'm also experiencing similar issues. I have two (larger) InDesign files which I can't open anymore. When I open them, Indesign crashes and the next time I start the program it asks me to recover the file. If I click yes, it successfully recovers everything, but then crashes again immediately.

Both files were created on another computer but with the same InDesign version (CS5 on Windows 7). I also have another file which has been created on the same machine that actually works (just a small file).

This problem definitely has nothing to do with any old InDesign settings etc. I had installed InDesign to a virtual machine and had the problem there. Now I have a fresh installation on my notebook (completely different system, not a VM, no old settings migrated) and have it here as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter,

I'm sure you're right. I've worked on both platforms since the 80's - DOS pre Windows and Apple 2E before Mac, but Apple was always my home computer so I've always been partial to Apple. But I'm so thrilled that Adobe products can, for the most part, work smoothy on Mac's OS and Windows - the minor glitches are not a problem .

Manko10

I had an issue with an InDesign document that kept crashing for days that I couldn't figure out for . It turned out to be a 'text on a path' issue that the program didn't like. I earned a few grey hairs on that one. I sometimes wonder why I didn't go into banking.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to rivrbend

The document doesn't contain any text on paths. And it's not just crashing for days, but for months.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Manko10

Manko,

If you are able to keep the file open long enough before crashing, thry opening and IMMEDIATELY exporting to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to rivrbend

Not possible. It crashes before the contents are loaded. And then when I start ID again it crashes immediately after recovery.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Manko10

Probably won't work, but worth trying. Say no to recovery, then try oening the original as a copy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to rivrbend

Doesn't work. Opening as Copy also crashes InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Manko10

You're probably looking at remaking the file, or paying for recovery then. Check out Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to rivrbend

I guess it's more an InDesign bug since InDesign's recovery seems to be successful. At least it doesn't show an error message and I can see the contents after recovery. The only problem is that I can't access them because Windows immediately shows the message that the program stopped working.

And besides that, a program shouldn't crash anyway just because of a corrupt file. If a file is completely broken and can't be recovered the program has to show an error message instead of crashing.

I also tried copying the file to another place and opened it. Before crashing it told me that there are about 150 broken links to files used in the document. So it can't be completely broken. InDesign is able to read at least most parts of the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Manko10

Be that as it may, the pragmatic solution is to do what it takes to get the file usable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points