Skip navigation
ams20518
Currently Being Moderated

SWF into Premiere Elements

Feb 7, 2012 7:23 AM

Tags: #swf #premiere_elements_9 #premiere_elements_7

My Coworker has Premiere Elements 7.0 on a Windows XP machine. I have Premiere Elements 9.0 on a Windows 7 machine.  We are working with a SWF file that another coworker created in JING. My coworker can import the SWF into Premiere Elements 7 and produce it as an WMV or as an FLV and it works fine.  When I import the SWF into Premiere Elements 9, I get a solid black image. Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to ams20518

I'm surprised your co-worker can edit SWFs in Premiere Elements. They're generally not editable files.

Meantime, have you downloaded the free Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe site? That may install the necessary codec.

But no guarantees. SWFs are generally not considered to be good source video files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to ams20518

The best tutorial software I've seen (and the one I use to create my Premiere Elements tutorials for http://Muvipix.com) is Camtasia, from Smith Micro. It's very user friendly with some very nice features, like the ability to zoom into things.

A close second is Adobe's wonderful Captivate. Very powerful, but with a bit more of a learning curve.

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/sem/products/1110_2800_captivate.html?s did=EICLT&skwcid=TC|22196|adobe%20screen%20capture||S|b|6261620182

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to ams20518

There is a program, that is similar, and is, or at least was, free, CamStudio. You might want to check that out.

This ARTICLE also goes into more detail on working with Video screen-cap software and Premiere.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to ams20518

I am not sure how your coworker is Importing the SWF files, unless there has been a plug-in added, such as maybe the Moyea Premiere Importer. This is the LIST of supported Import File Formats for PrE. Even PrPro cannot Import SWF's, though can Import FLV's, of many flavors.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to ams20518

Interesting, and especially as FLV (some CODEC's) support was not added until about CS 4.2, the second update to CS 4. Still, most PrPro users cannot get SWF's to Import and edit.

Until CS 4, one could use the Moyea Premiere FLV Importer plug-in, but things changed with the release of CS 4.0.0. Moyea was working on updating their plug-in, until Adobe added some FLV support to their second update, and then Moyea dropped that project.

The SWF wrapper has always been the problem, and when one stripped out the FLV from that wrapper in Flash Pro, or similar, it was usually then, that they could Import the FLV component, though not for all CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to ams20518

So get this, I was having the exact same problems, but then I brought one of my .swf files into premiere which was also black, except for certain colors which did show up. So I just added a blank frame in the back layer and filled it with white, lo and behold after publishing into .swf and bringing it into premiere it worked perfectly. Worked for other .swf files which were also black in premiere. In my case, I would have to guess there is an issue with the alpha.

Hope this works for others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points