Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Automatic shadow recovery - a double-edged sword.

Feb 9, 2012 8:59 PM

Tags: #recovery #shadows #highlights #whites #blacks #automatic_shadow_recovery #automatic_highlight_recovery

You knew this was coming, right?

Let me first start out by saying, that I'd have to toss a coin to decide whether the automatic highlight recovery or the automatic shadow recovery is my more favorite new feature in Lr4b1.

I just processed a picture of a dear (a doe - a female dear) with black eyes and a black nose. It was taken in dull cool light, and was a bit of a challenge in PV2010 to give it a little "happiness".

PS - it was taken through dirty glass, and I had to give a large dose of clarity which made it look sorta harsh.

In PV2010, I had to lift the blacks well away from the clipping point to have any detail or visibility to the eyes.

In PV2012, not only was I able to brighten the whole picture without washing it out, but the less darkening in the new clarity really made her look soft, yet still clear, AND (drum roll please...) -

The blacks in her eyes just came right out - even after moving the blacks all the way to the clipping point - rich, detailed, and black - yummmm...

The PV2012 shadow recovery was just ideal for this type of picture, as was the rest of PV2012 (black point was the only adjustment needed after conversion).

OK now, brace yourselves, the next part is not going to make you happy...........

There are other photos where the automatic shadow recovery is a nuisance. Maybe not to you, but to me, and to many others you won't hear from because this forum is so hostile.

I could go on and on about this, but I don't want to hog the bandwidth, and anyway you can probably figure it out for yourselves... (hint: get yourself a mirror and re-read the reflection of the highlight recovery thread in the mirror).

Adobe - if you're going to support an option to turn automatic highlight recovery off, please don't forget to include an option to turn automatic shadow recovery off too, and please allow one to be on while the other is off!

Sorry for being a bit of smarty, but this exercise may help you to understand:

- close your eyes, breathe, and imagine you were me (I know its hard).

How would you feel?

Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

Adobe - if you're going to support an option to turn automatic highlight recovery off, please don't forget to include an option to turn automatic shadow recovery off too, and please allow one to be on while the other is off!

Ain't gonna happen...

If you have example images you can send where PV 2012 is less good than PV 2010, do so...but don't expect the UI and interface to change to add options and preferences to how PV 2012 works. Ain't gonna happen.

The UI and interface is locked...move on.

If you have examples, send them to Eric. Otherwise, just learn how to use PV 2012 for your images...and no, I have no interest in trying to imagine how to be you. And, truth be known, you've already hogged the bandwidth to a far larger extent than you merit.

To other users, learn how to adopt and adopt...PV 2012 is a superior processing pipeline. If you don't think that, you can always revert to PV 2010 and use the old controls. The rest of the LR 4 features still work regardless of what PV you are in–course you lose the noise reduction and morie local brushs...your choice. And you do have a choise...

And for those who feel compelled to match PV 2012 to PV 2010 images, give it up. They will never match exactly because the processing pipelines are fundimentally different. Again, not to harp on it, if you have examples where PV 2012 is less good than PV 2010, send them in. Eric will indeed look at them and potentially make adjustments to the processing. As to the UI? Forget it...it's locked in.

BTW is there some sort of good reason you posted a new thread with the exact same title as an exisiting thread? Looks like a rookie mistake to me...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

You knew this was coming, right?

OK now, brace yourselves, the next part is not going to make you happy...........

There are other photos where the automatic shadow recovery is a nuisance. Maybe not to you, but to me, and to many others you won't hear from because this forum is so hostile.

I could go on and on about this, but I don't want to hog the bandwidth, and anyway you can probably figure it out for yourselves... (hint: get yourself a mirror and re-read the reflection of the highlight recovery thread in the mirror).

Sorry for being a bit of smarty, but this exercise may help you to understand:

- close your eyes, breathe, and imagine you were me (I know its hard).

How would you feel?

Rob

there are ways to positively point out problem and to suggest change and that people will work on with you....then there are ways intended to tick people off.

WHich result do you think your method produces?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

There are two kinds of Lightroom users:

1 - Those who will reach a point in their post-processing when they realize why they are struggling with the bottom end - they are working against the auto-shadow recovery.

2 - Those who won't.

I've decided it's a bigger job than I want to take on to try to illustrate this to people who've not yet encountered it in their own photography.

Rob

And by refusing to supply sample files to Eric you defeat yourself.  I simply don't understand your refusal to help Eric help everyone, including yourself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points