Skip navigation
kbg123
Currently Being Moderated

What version of photoshop should I get?

Feb 10, 2012 5:48 PM

I recently purchased a new computer (mac mini with cinema display) and I need to get photoshop. I previously had cs 5 but was illegally downloaded so i need to actually purchase the download this time. I am trying to figure out if I should do one of the following or if anyone had any other suggestions:

1. Purchase Photoshop cs5 in full which is $699, then upgrade to cs6 when it comes out
2. Purchase a subscription to cs5 which is $35 a month, until cs6 comes out, then buy cs5 (does anyone know if it will be cheaper when they release 6?)

Just trying to find the most cost effective way to do this, need to buy this weekend so I can get started on editing. Also does anyone know if bridge automatically comes with photoshop when you purchase? Thanks!

Kat

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to kbg123

If you have never downloaded a trial of CS5 you could gain 30 days while you try it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to kbg123

Hi kbg123

The most cost effective way to do this is to purchase during the "Grace Period," but I'm not sure the timing will work for you.

Basically VS6 will be anounced in April, and will be available a few weeks later in May; this period, between the anouncement and the actual release, is the Grace Period.

If you purchase CS5 during this time you will get CS6 free-of-charge once it's available, although you'll have to contact Adobe's Customer Service with proof of purchase etc to do so.

Good luck

Paul

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 10, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to pf22

I like to download direct from Adobe.  You get the upgrade as soon as it becomes available, you will always have access to your install file from your Orders page (folk do sometimes lose CDs), and you obviously have proof of purchase.

Looking at those options and thinking about the dates, $35 a month is going to be much less than the upgrade price if you buy now.  In fact if you use the trial version for 30 days, that saves you $35

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to kbg123

If you do the trial you get 30 days free, then you could do the monthly.

Like Trevor says if you can buy CS5 less than 30 days before the announcemt you could get a free upgrade.  But the announcement date is not pre-released.  But lots of rumors!

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 11, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to kbg123

kbg, I would try the trial first, you might want to try PsElements, to try the basic functionnality, then the Photoshop one, so that you have two months of trial...

Or try the Photoshop trial, and rent if for the remaining period...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to kbg123

Hi Kat

I purchased my CS5 and will be purchasing CS6 - even without the deblurring! - so I'm not up on the subscription option, but PECourtejoie gave you a good idea in trying out the Elements, then Photoshop, to which I might add Lightroom.

I know a LOT of people, both full time professionals as well as serious amateurs, who love Lightroom, and they tell me they rarely open up Photoshop these days as Lightroom does +90% of what they need. As all 3 products are available on 30 day demos, that will buy you a lot of time until the grace period kicks in and you can go ahead and make your CS5 purchase.

Good luck

Paul

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points