Skip navigation
DR. Silky
Currently Being Moderated

Converting .swf to video without losing frames

Feb 11, 2012 12:56 PM

This question has been asked and incorrectly answered a number of times already. Specifically, on an Apple computer, it seems that there is no way to get a video file (.mov, .mpg or any other) out of Flash Pro without severe loss of quality or complete destruction of frame rate.

My .swf files look fantastic, just like they are supposed to. The play at the correct frame rate and all items work as I have set them up. When I go to export it as an .mov or .mpg, the frame rate speeds up and slows down depending on the objects on the screen. I have played with the settings endlessly, knocking the quality down to almost the lowest settings (something I would rather not do after working very hard on my piece) as well as adjusting the frame rate options all over the place to see if anything changed. Nothing. I have read many a forum where Flash creators have the same problems and are tearing their hair out because their work is essentially useless being stuck in Flash.

I know that there are programs that convert .swf files to video very well, some of them cost about $100. Why buy Flash in the first place if you have to buy another, almost equally priced piece of software just to get your content out of Flash? I also know that there are hundreds of free video converters out there for Apples, none of them seem to be able to handle the .swf format, but can do just about everything else. I further know that for windows, there is the free Iwisoft .swf to video converter that works just fine, but does not handle Apple created .swf files when ported across to a PC. How is it that such software is easy and free on a Windows machine, but not a Mac?

I would love it if an Adobe rep could answer some of these questions because I have been all over the web looking for answer to which no one seems to have the right one. Most people can suggest a good video converter that works for them, but they haven't tried it on a .swf file and when the original user tries it, it does not work and the thread dies there. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to DR. Silky

To add another option.... skip the export and conversion process entirely and do a screen capture of the .swf as it plays.... capture will be 100% quality of what is displayed. CamStudio, Windows Media Encoder and other will do a great job of screen capture.

http://camstudio.org/

Yeah... to bad Flash doesn't do a better job, but then that's not really what it's intended for.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to DR. Silky

In order to convert swf files to video, you may want to try Flash-Banner-Converter.com (Flabaco for short).  It's a free online converter - so you can use it from a MAC / Win machine / Linux.

It preserves the quality pretty well and shouldn't destruct frame rates. It will have disadvantages because it's yet in Beta but it provides support.  As of now, generated video is in mp4, webm and ogg formats - These formats are used for compatibility with popular HTML5 devices.  Atleast one of these formats will play on all popular HTML 5 compatable browsers / mobile devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to DR. Silky

Have you tried the mac swf to video converter from doremisoft?

http://www.soft4portable.com/products/swf-to-video-converter-for-mac.h tml

It works good on my Macbook Air.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to DR. Silky

@DR. Silky - I reviewed the converter logs at approximately the time you must have tried the conversion.  As you guessed Flabaco was designed for shorter length animations but it can handle longer animations - It just requires more time and server resources.

I've forced the conversion for your swf file (I assume I got the correct swf) and it should now be converted.

This conversion required manual intervention but if there are users for such requirements, I'd like to make such conversions possible.

To download the converted videos, goto www.flash-banner-converter/converter using the same browser you used. As long as the browser cache wasn't cleared  - or - as long as the Start Again button wasn't clicked, you will see the converted videos.

If you are unable to see the  videos mail me the swf filename and I'll send you a direct link. (use the email address mentioned on the support page as you might not want your content exposed on a public forum)

The videos are in 3 formats - webm, mp4 and ogv.  The quality of each of these videos might differ and you can choose the one that suits you best.

Note: The conversion token / serial number was R1328993157691***_*****_****. You'll see this number on the converter page (but not the home page). (If you see a different number it means I've forced the conversion of the wrong swf.)

Would be glad to help with any more conversions you have - after all its an opportunity for Flabaco to improve and become more useful.

Kayo.

Flabaco (Flash Banner Converter).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to DR. Silky

It's a surprise: this site has published a 20% OFF coupon code for valentine's day

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/soft4portable.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to DR. Silky

@DR. Silky  Flabaco will get sound support in the future. (All updates are posted on twitter @flabaco)

Flabaco started out targeting swf to video conversion (creating video compatible with popular HTML 5 browsers) for Flash Banner Ads and Flash Intros. But it can handle longer duration, professional level conversions as well. Such conversions would, consume greater server resources and take longer time to convert. As of the current Beta version, the longer / high quality conversions require manual intervention.  You can reach me for such intervention via Flabaco's support page.

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad to know it works well !

Kayo

Flabaco ( Flash-Banner-Converter )

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

I know that video is not what Flash Professional was ORIGINALLY intended for, but there have been so many generations of it since its inception, and so many professionals have used it since to produce video animations that have been broadcast on network television, that it seems a total crime that such a shabby video export has been tacked on to this program instead of giving professionals the tools they actually need when they have paid for them.

-----------------------------------

Admin at http://webscp.com/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points