Skip navigation
K-Gro
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Illustrator files in InDesign

Feb 16, 2012 12:18 PM

I have an issue that is more of an annoyance than a major problem. I put togethers ads in Illustrator and then place them in my InDesign template. Instead of a 4.75" x 5.375" ad placing in a 4.75" x 5.375" space, I get the ad plus the blue frame edge surrounding the ad. The problem is when I want to precisely place the ad using InDesign. If I want the border of the ad to be placed right at 0 and 0, I can't do that because InDesign instead places the frame edge at 0 and 9 and the border of the ad might be .1" or .2" inside the frame edge. I can hide the frame edge, but that does not solve the problem. Is there any way to make the frame edge exactly the same as my ad borders? I have made sure there are no stray points in the Illustrator files prior to placing them in InDesign.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to K-Gro

Scree shot please. I can't quite figure out what you are talking about, but I suspect it has to do with how a stroke is aligned to the frame (Inside, centered or outside).

Use the camera icon on the web page to embed the image in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to K-Gro

Show Options when Placing, set Crop To to Bounding Box, or Trim as appropriate for the ad

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to K-Gro

I like to set the pasteboard in Illustrator to fit artwork bounds (double-click the pasteboard tool) before saving finished work. Saves a LOT of hassles with crop options.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Preferences Wish List > pdf's to always place to Trim, ai files to always place to Bounding,

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

You never need to place a PDF with Bleed?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Wish List Preference, not set in stone...occasionally Show Options was not last used, as noted in this post, it defaults to the last used setting. I know when I want it, and what I want; the only worthwhile instance of eps is that it seems to always place to bounding; the new norm of ai usage dictates toggling Bounding as opposed to trim. I place one ai to every 20 pdf's, on average.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points