Skip navigation
joshueuk
Currently Being Moderated

Why is not the same order of articles indesign panel with the reading order in Acrobat? (Cs5.5)

Feb 18, 2012 12:06 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5

I read that if you put the items in the articles panel with a reverse order, the items to be order o.k in Acrobat. Why? Is this a bug?

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to joshueuk

How do you create your PDF? Export? Settings?

The articles panel content is supposed to be used when epubs or html are exported. Storys not found in this panel are not exported to htm or epub.

Acrobat interactiv possibilites are only exported, when the tagging information in the format styles are correct and the indd ist exported as PDF (Interactive).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to joshueuk

But which PDF-Export? There are 2 differents!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to joshueuk

Hi joshueuk,

Was this ever resolved? Running into the same issue...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to rcy12402

The visual appearance of PDF files are unaffected by the Articles panel in InDesign CS5.5.

See link below which describes and references a couple of Adobe TV videos about creating ACCESSIBLE PDFs. These are PDFs which are processed by screen reader software. With Accessible PDFs, you need to specify the order in which the screen reader processes the information. THIS  is what can be set with the Articles panel.

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeingovernment/2011/06/preparing-accessible- pdfs-with-indesign-cs5-5-and-acrobat-x-pro.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to joshueuk

I'm a little stumped. I understand the ALT text, the Object Export, etc... and all is working well except for the Read Order in the exported Interactive PDF. In the Article pane everything is ordered as I would like it to be, and images are anchored to their appropirate spot, but the resulting read order in Acrobat X Pro doesn't match, and numerous issues arise if I attempt to adjust the order with the TocuhUp Reading Order pane. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to rcy12402

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. I've setup the order I want in my articles, but in Acrobat when viewing the reading order, it shows my top level headers reading at the end of the other text on the page. In my doc, each page starts with a top level header, then there are either paragraphs or lower level headers that follow it. I used to have the top level headers in their own text box (unlinked), but then I linked them and output a new PDF. In the Articles panel, I have "Use for Reading Order in tagged PDF" checked.

I want my InDesign file to produce the correct PDF rather than having to touch up the order in Acrobat, because if our client needs a change and we output a new PDF, all our reordering in Acrobat would be lost.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to unioman

I've found that the order in Layers can affect this. Try ordering your elements in reverse order in the layers panel top to bottom.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to bryanbowers

In our office, after much tearing out of hair, we had also discovered, like "bryanbowers" above, that the Layers panel drives the reading order, even over the Articles panel. I suspect that just reordering all of my content just using the Layers panel is the only thing I need to do to ensure that the reading order behaves, over the Articles panel, over the Structure Window, anything else.

There is one  annoying exception (and if you can get along with this, then things do work). The PDF that we save out as a 508-compliant file is layered, similar to your original InDesign file. And because the reading order works by reading the bottom layers first, any background layers will be read first, no matter what, and cannot be moved around in the Reading Order panel in your exported PDF (unless they're tagged as Artifacts and not read at all).

Think of this as the same as in a Photoshop layered document. If you move the bottom layer in a Photoshop file to the top, everything else disappears behind it.  Well, it's the same as for your InDesign Layer panel and your exported 508 PDF. Background images must stay in the background, and will be read before any overlays or labeling, unless they're Artifacts.

I hope this isn't too convoluted. I just thought this was a nice discovery. And it's pretty simple, once you work with Layers. It's simplified our production a lot.

So, conclusion: Reorder the Layers panel content in reverse order of how you'd like your reading order to work in your PDF.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points