Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Calculate tab for form field properties

Feb 18, 2012 12:50 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Community Help

In Acrobat 8 Pro, Place Mulitple Fields had the expected effect of correctly incrementing a calculated field downward so the calculations for a line were incremented to match the line, .0, .1, .2 etc. This functionality was BROKEN in version 9 Pro so that the calculated fields merely duplicated the first line reference with a .0 appended; 30 calculated lines, 30 identical field references. I was told by customer support "that's how it works." I emphasized that was NOT how it worked in version 8. No promise to fix it, naturally. I hoped it would be fixed when I upgraded from CS3 to CS4. Nope, same broken version of Acrobat 9 between those two versions. Here we are at CS5.5 and Acrobat X Pro is STILL broken in this regard. My only question now is, "Will CS6 use the same version of Acrobat X Pro, or will there be a new broken version?"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to Community Help

There is no functionality in "pick" option.  I have just purchased Acrobat X Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to MaryRaymah

Why has this bug not been fixed yet? A very important function that seriously compromises an otherwise excellent product.

Trying to explain this to the client that I can't get their new form to calculate the Regular Hours and Overtime Hours but they are NOT happy.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Aug 23, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to jonathanfarley1

A workaround is to use JavaScript. If you post more information about how your form is set up, I could suggest a script you can use.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to George Johnson

George

Forms are here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z3xhhkrw3z3tyg6/js8ufWUgVF

I know nothing about Javascript.

Thanks

Jonathan

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,651 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Aug 23, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to jonathanfarley1

In this case you can also use the simplified field notation, though it would be much easier if you were to change your field names. For example, the first row you want to sum the following two fields:

"REG. HRS" and "O.T. HRS"

Since the field names include the period and space characters these need to be escaped, so you'd have to enter the following:

REG\.\ HRS + O\.T\.\ HRS

If you were to change the names to:

"REG_HRS" and "OT_HRS"

The simplified field notation entry would be simply:

REG_HRS + OT_HRS

If you were to further refine the field naming scheme to something like:

Row 1:  R1.REG_HRS, R1.OT_HRS

Row 2:  R2.REG_HRS, R2.OT_HRS

A single script could be used for all of the rows, and called in the calculate event of each "DAILY TOTAL" field. I realize this may sound like jibberish at the moment, but if you want to pursue it, post again. In the mean time, the simplified field notation option will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to MaryRaymah

Same basic problem I need to have a simple calculated form. Not sure how to get this to work; how do I write this and where?  Row1Value * Row1Quantity, should be entered into the Row1Total. Then overall Total at the bottom of Col5.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to sahedi_263

See How to use basic calculations in PDF forms by Donna Baker.

You field names can not contain spaces or dots in their names or you will need to use the special "escape" character to have the JavaScript behind the Simplified field notation accept the non-standard or special character.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to sahedi_263

I was told by Adobe Technical Support I would have to go into each row total (your example Row1Total.0 through .x after the Place Multiple Fields) and change the references to the appropriate line. Then your Col5 total would be accurate. To me this was Technical Support's way of saying, "Yes, it worked in version 8, but now you have to do it manually— and we're not going to fix it." If it could be handled by a JS, as some have implied, why not just (re)build it into the application? I don't know the answer to that, and Technical Support isn't saying.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to GKaiseril

I reviewed the video linked here and found nothing that addressed the Place Multiple Fields issue, so I'm treating it as off-topic.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points