Skip navigation
Hurricane Vortex
Currently Being Moderated

Slow Motion and Frame Rates?

Feb 21, 2012 7:39 AM

Hi I have a Sony NEX-VG20EH camera and it has an adjustable frame rate. I have put the frame rate on 8000 and recorded some footage. When i load it into Premiere it is still showing as 50.00 fps. I want to do some slow motion stuff but when i slow it down to 10% it is still quite "jumpy". Any ideas?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Hurricane Vortex

I think you have the camera's shutter speed confused with its frame rate:

Shutter Speed

1/4 - 1/8000 (video, manual control), 30 - 1/4000 (photo, manual control)

Frame Rates

25p/50p recording - Shoot smooth, cinematic Full HD video footage with choice of 25p/50p (progressive) frame rates

A camera that shoots 8,000fps would be very rare and ultra expensive.

edit:

As a side note, if you did in fact have footage shot at 8,000fps,

you would likely have to specify that frame rate in the Interpret Footage menu for that clip.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Hurricane Vortex

My understanding of cameras with overcranking is this - if the camera natively records a video format with 50fps, and you set the "overcrank" to 100fps, the camera WILL record 100fps, but writes them to the video file at 50fps, thereby doubling the playback duration. Playback at the standard frame rate then appears as smooth 50% slow-motion, without you changing the speed in the edit software.

If you use 200fps, playback at the standard 50fps would appear as 25% slow-motion.

The recorded clip properties will not reflect the overcrank frame rate - and 8000 cannot be correct....you don't have a Phantom camera!).

Please review the manual for the camera to gain a better understanding of the capabilities and limitations. I think you may have changed the SHUTTER SPEED and not the frame rate.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Hurricane Vortex

While many cameras DO offer the ability to "overcrank" for a short duration, such as to capture a golf swing in slow-motion, I looked at the specs for your camera and don't see that feature listed.

Raising the shutter speed means that the shutter is open for a shorter duration during the exposure of each frame of video. At slow shutter speeds, fast motion will look blurred on a freeze frame or during slow playback, because the subject moved quite a bit during the time the shutter was open. A fast shutter will "freeze" each moment in time clearly, but also lowers light sensitivity, so best used outdoors in good light.

It can be fun to play with shutter speeds - on my honeymoon, I was shooting the airplane prop out my window and cranked up the shutter speed until the prop STOPPED and I could read the serial number off of it in my viewfinder!! Note this was in the old days with CCD sensors - the new CMOS sensors have skew which warps the image in many cases.

Note that very high shutter speeds will result in choppy motion, so only use as needed.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points