Skip navigation
taggedtext
Currently Being Moderated

Viewing Indesign tagged text file in third party applications

Feb 22, 2012 3:22 AM

Tags: #text #view #in #indesign_cs3 #tagged #third #party #softwares

I am using Indesign CS3 for composing classified advertisements in a news paper. The composing application is developed using Powerbuilder.

After composing the material, the material is exported to indesign tagged text format which is saved in a oracle database table for future use.

This tagged text can be later saved as a text file and imported back in indesign to see the material.

My question is, with out the help of Indesign, that is without loading Indesign, Can I see the original matter from this tagged text using some

ocx control or standard control in Powerbuilder or Visual basic application?

Is there any third party controls or applicaton that supports showing indesign tagged text in original format (with all fonts, styles etc..)

so that I can see the material in my application itself, which will help me to save the time consumed for loading indesign for each advertisement.

Expecting reply.

Thanks

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to taggedtext

taggedtext wrote:

Expecting reply.

Here is one: No.

InDesign Tagged Text is not XML-compatible (or hardly), so you cannot any of the usual advanced XML viewers (where one could try to work around it with some XSLT styling and a nice CSS sheet) [a]. Even if it was, it's unlikely you would get "original format (with all fonts, styles etc..)", as ID supports way more formatting options than possible with such a viewer.

So if you need such a viewer, you need to write one yourself.

[a] Maybe all you need to write is a from/to-Proper XML translator, which would at least give you some more options with 3rd party XML viewers. But a full "original format" viewer? Nah.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to taggedtext

Sorry, but what? Why would converting InDesign tagged text to another format help? You would get a PDF with all tagged text, right?

If you want to externally edit the InDesign text, either use InCopy (which is created to do just that) or export the text as RTF, not as tagged text. Be aware there are many pitfalls with this trajectory -- it has been reported to work, nevertheless.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to taggedtext

The more conventional method is to format your text as it is written within a database that uses its own accessible tagging system and which can also display the formatting, such as Filemaker Pro, and then the database translates its internal formatting tags into InDesign tagged text for output to file by means of replacement formulas (or "calculations" in FM parlance).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to taggedtext

I'd just create a preview of each advertisement straight from within InDesign and store it together with the tagged text.

To achieve that your script may copy each ad into a separate text frame, fit the frame by height and export it e.g. as jpeg.

Dirk

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points