Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Which of these two raid cards will work better?

Feb 22, 2012 8:10 AM

Which of these cards would be better suited for video editing:

Areca ARC-1882i

LSI 9265-8i

Both are approximately the same price and just in my price range.  I will have four 1TB HDD's that I want to put in a raid array.  Also assume either one will work with my X79 motherboard.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to JobJoe

My preference would be the Areca, because for around € 40 you can upgrade the cache memory to 4 GB, assuming a 12+ port model. With less ports, there is no cache memory upgrade available, but still the Areca has the benefit of Raid3, which the LSI lacks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to JobJoe

JobJoe,

I would suggest getting the "-4G" model card (1882ix-12-4G) that already has the 4GB RAM installed.

Regarding 3rd party RAM, I am not saying that it cannot work, but if you search the web you will find a lot of users that have tried 3rd party RMA with Areca's 1880 series (similar to 1882 series) and never gotten it to work properly.

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:20 AM   in reply to JobJoe

1. The normal configuration is with forward break-out cables. They connect to one connector on the card and have 4 SATA connectors on the other side to connect to the disks.

2. AHCI mode is independent of your raid settings on the Areca.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to JobJoe

HDTune-Savio-15K.2-x-8-R0-write.jpg

The most reliable and believable disk benchmark in my opinion is HD Tune Pro.  Those ATTO marks are just testing the cache here is a write example of 8 each 15K.2 Seagate's in R0.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to JobJoe

JobJoe,

I can confirm that ShadowProtect Desktop Editon works great with Areca images for both backup and restore. I have even backed up a RAID OS/boot array from the Areca controller and restored it to a single drive connected to an Intel motherboard controller - how cool is that! It's insanely fast too; imaging my pretty fast RAID 0 boot/OS/programs array with 61GB only takes 2:36 minutes (23.3 GB/min, 279 MB/s, 2232 Mbits/sec). Note too that the affordable "Desktop edition" allows you to any drive on your LAN; I'm pretty sure that to do a restore with this version you can't restore from the LAN, however I've copied the restore image down to a USB hard drive (from the LAN) and then restored to a PC as "stand-alone".

Regarding the HD Tune Results your results are for all practical purposes the same; you can ignore the maximum read speed with the cache on (that's from the controller) for the purposes of benchmarking your drive speed. Regarding the scale difference, I find the "autoscaling" only annoying, but I'm not aware of a way to override it.

Finally, your WD 2TB's "tail off" (slow down) less than most rotating drives I've ever tested using HD Tune Pro; what is the exact model # and firmware version that you are using?

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to JobJoe

White spots are "seek speed" and they are basically the same speed for both runs (use the scale on the right side of the graph for seek speed).

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to JobJoe

Of course the SSD read results are only half the story with usage the write performance drops significantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

This wasn't in your list of choices, but for me, I'll never buy another controller card that's not an ATTO.  You're going to see similar specs from many different manufacturers, but the difference with ATTO is the support.  I bought an R680 card that started acting up after about three weeks.  I called tech support, described my problem, and I had a new card on my doorstep at 8 AM the next morning. 

Ask the company you plan to buy from if they cross ship an RMA.  If they don't, expect to be out of business for at least three days, and expect to pay your own overnight shipping both directions.

I mistakenly bought a HighPoint Tech RocketRAID as my first controller card. It went bad, and it took THREE WEEKS to get a replacement.  Oy!

Another option is to buy from a VAR that has great service after the sale, and maybe you can get an ATTO-like experience, if they have the same committment to customer satisfaction.

If these aren't important considerations, then please excuse me for butting in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

And Atto is the only one to support Raid4. Of course that is of little value is that is not the level you want. Back in the middle ages of raid controllers, they had a big corporate client that insisted on using raid4 and since that time they are the only manufacturer to include that raid level.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to JobJoe

HUGH mistake, there is no advantage to putting two SSD drives in RAID 0 for your boot drive.  Microsoft's TRIM will not work on RAID configurations of SSD's.  I would not even think of putting a single SSD for boot purposes as writing to it will slow down as it is used.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to JobJoe

JobJoe wrote:

Jim Curtis: I have already purchased the ARC-1882ix-12-4G and think it works quite well for my purposes.

My HPT card worked quite well for a while, too.  But, you've already read my sob story about that.  I wish you continued success with it.

Harm, ATTO has yet another RAID level... DV RAID.  Yet, nobody seems to be endorsing its use for video, even though it was specficially designed for it.  RAID 5 is still the choice of four out of five doctors, with RAID 6 as a fallback for the risk-averse.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points