Skip navigation
head spin
Currently Being Moderated

Why does PrE9 tell me I've got the wrong Preset, Do I want to Change it?

Feb 23, 2012 2:58 PM

I understand that PrE9 has this feature and I thought it was a good idea at first. But I have done about 10 New Projects experimenting with a VOB file and things are weird.

As has been discussed before, I used the Hard Disc/Flash Memory Preset (standard for 4:3 video) for VOB and MPEG (Upper Field First). I click on Get Media. I select the VOB (from a folder). The Get (Add?) Media dialog box waits for a bit, (hour glass comes up) (Not Responding) then goes ahead and adds the Media. When I go to insert the VOB, it says I have the wrong Preset, do I want to change it. OK, I say. The program does it's thing and the video is in the program. Very grainy, liney, jerky. It has no red line indicating I need to render but I push Enter anyway. No change. I check the project Presets and PrE has changed it to DV NTSC Standard. I only have 2 choices for this video in the Presets when starting a new 4.3 video.

So I start another new Project same settings, and this time I pick NO when it asks me if I want to change the settings. Video in the program, but this time it has the red line to Render.I push Enter and when done I have good video in the Monitor window.

I tried doing other scenarios and exports, made a copy of the VOB and renamed it .mpg but only got 11 seconds on the timeline. I brought it in as a DV NTSC Standard and reversed the field order and got the render line, Render and good video. Did other experiments I forget now. Anybody else run into something like this? Maybe I am not comprehending something. Doesn't seem to like mpeg either unless I jockey things around. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to head spin
    • Where has the VOB you're using come from?
    • What does GSpot say about it (post a screenshot)?
    • For each of your tests I suggest Sharing the clip to a rewritable DVD as an autoplay movie and see how it looks on a real DVD player / TV. Previews on a computer screen can be very misleading.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to head spin

Yes, please do the GSpot screen dump. Also, when you let PRE change the project settings could you post a screenshot of what it changes it to (Edit> Project Settings> General).

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to head spin

Unfortunately, not all VOB's are created equal. PrE works perfectly with 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, but most DVR's, and some authoring programs, do NOT create 100% DVD-compliant VOB's. See this ARTICLE for more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to head spin

Screenshots are compressed for initial display. Click 'em and they display in their full glory. As you say the only difference is in the Fields.

When you are viewing in PRE right-click the monitor panel and make sure that magnification is 1:1 and quality 'highest'. Does that make any difference?

Share the clip to a re-writeable and watch it on a real DVD player / TV. Do the same for the other Field project. Which looks best? Go with that one for the future.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers