Skip navigation
Dzmitry1986
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot add appearance state to a button

Feb 23, 2012 9:31 PM

Hi guys,

Just recently purchased Catalyst, started to mark around with it yesterday, watched several tuts but got really frustrated cos everything seems to be very simple but when I follow the steps I don't get the same result. I've created a simple dummy slideshow in photoshop where the buttons will change their color and pics will be changing accordingly just to test Catalyst and imported it. Started to watch Adobe tuts, but somehow I cannot follow the steps and complete the tut. I want to add up, over, down and disabled states to my buttons but end up only with a converted button layer selected and I cannot apply change state layers I created in Photoshop, they are somehow not selected. also I'm having problems with Add interaction panel, i just cannot any interaction to an element, Choose target shows Select other items, and the 4th field is just grayed out.... I've attached several screenshots. Can't really figure it out what I'm doing wrong, can anyone help please?

Dimmie

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 3.17.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 3.17.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 3.30.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 3.17.00 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to Dzmitry1986

Let's try this. Create a new PSD and make just one button in it. I would recommend keeping the layering as simple as possible. The best practice would be just to have 4 layers or folder, each mapping to the four states. By doing this, you should be able to import the art in easier, and the convert them into the proper states in the button.

For a button, you probably want to have some elements shared across the states (ie the text), so watch how you configure that element as well. You also might find you only need one state in the PSD, and can modify the elements solely with FC (opacitiy, blurs, etc).

Once you have one button working, you can and should just reuse the button component you have made for the others (assuming they are the same style), just changing the button label.

Hope this helps,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Dzmitry1986

You should have no issues merging your assets.

The updated Classroom in a Book files can be found here: Download the updated lesson files

When Flash Catalyst 1.0 was updated to Flsah Catalyst CS5.5, it also update the version of the Flex SDK, hence the errors.

Good luck,

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points