Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

RTMP with HLS delays

Feb 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I am not finding anything that explains what I am looking for clearly.

Currently, we are streaming using RTMP, but I want to switch to HLS to allow iOS devices to stream our video.  I do not want to encode two separate streams though because we are operating with limited bandwidth on mobile data cards.  If I stream using the livepkgr, the delay to iOS devices is about 12 seconds which is OK.  However, on desktop clients, we have live scoring integrated with our video, so we cannot have a delay that long. My question is, if I connect to the same stream in a Flash client for the desktop, will the delay still be that long? Or will it stream in real time to flash clients with the delay only for iOS devices using HLS?  Also, am I correct in assuming that I can do this on 1 stream, or do I need to setup a separate stream for RTMP and HLS?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to BrandonMX84

Yes you can do with single stream - for RMTP subscribe to live stream and for HLS - subscribe to f4f recording via HLS module which will deliver in streams compatible to iOS. RTMP delay would be minimal compared to iOS delay. I am assuming you plan to use RTMP for flash clients and not HDS

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points