Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Picture Cube Disc Menu Problem

Feb 25, 2012 2:49 PM

Tags: #problem #premiere_elements_10 #disc_menu

Using PE 10.  The Menu Marker Names do not appear on the Scene Selection menus with I use the 'Picture Cube' disc menu.  Works just fine using the 'Fun' disc menu.  I know, I know.... just use the one that works!  Is this only my problem or have others come up with the same troublesome behavior?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to Mapper53

If you have Photoshop Pro CS5.1 or Photoshop Elements 10 you can fix it by editing picture-cube_w_sm.psd, and picture-cube_s_sm.psd and picture-cube_w_hd.psd. You might be able to use earlier versions of Photoshop, but how earlier I don't know.

In the Photoshop Layers panel you need to expand the folders representing each scene, such as the one with the text "( + )scene two." Within that folder is another folder with the text "(^) Scene two text." The problem is that there should be two carets ^^ instead of just one ^ within the parentheses. You have to fix that for each scene, and there are three scenes.

Those files are in hidden folders. On Windows XP they are here on my machine: F:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10.0\Online\DVD Templates\General\(A) Picture Cube

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert,

Thank you for pointing out the (^^) issue.

Photoshop, from CS on, should work just fine for the modification. PS CS added the ability to handle non-square pixels, and the full compliment of Layer Sets, used in DVD/BD Menus for both PrE and Encore. I cannot speak for PS Elements, as I have never used that.

If one is using a square pixel Menu, then they could probably go with an even earlier version of PS. I cannot recall now, when PS added Layer Sets, but it seems that it was in about version 5, or 5.5, and I do not mean CS 5/5.5.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Talking about square pixels and so, I should mention that when I opened up the PSD files in Photoshop CS5.1, there were a couple of prompts about pixel aspect ratio and updating text layers. I said "No" to the updating text layers, and didn't have a choice about the pixel aspect ratio prompt.

When I opened the PSD files in Photoshop Elements 10, there were not any prompts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

The Pixel Aspect Ratio message is basically saying that while the PSD uses non-square pixels, the display on the computer's monitor will be displaying them as square pixels.

In PS, as of CS, when non-square pixels were introduced, on can set Viewing Preferences to display the non-square, or more common, square pixels.

As for the Text Layers, I see that fairly often, when Opening Adobe Library Menus.

I get that, even if I have the particular fonts installed, though more often, if I do not have that font installed on the system. I am not sure what aspect of the Text Layer(s) needs "Updating."

When the font is missing, then PS will try to find a replacement font.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert J. Johnson

You mention editing the DVD menu .psd in Photoshop Elements 10 or Photoshop CS5.

With regard to using Photoshop Elements 10 for this purpose, I have found that Photoshop Elements 10 in Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit will NOT open the Layer Sets of these .psd files whereas Photoshop Elements in Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit will.

In the advice that you are giving for editing the Layer Sets in Photoshop Elements 10, what operating system is the Photoshop Elements 10 in?

Thanks for your inputs on this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR, I'm on Windows XP Professional SP3, 32-bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert J. Johnston

Thanks for the information.

I had hoped that you had found the "key" to open those Premiere Elements DVD Template .psd Layer Sets in Photoshop Elements Windows 7 64 bit. As I said, there is no problem doing this in Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit with various versions of Photoshop Elements and the DVD Template .psd files of Premiere Elements. (This matter extends beyond the version 10 programs.)

The user contributed Photoshop Elements actions for opening Photoshop Layer Sets in Photoshop Elements have their problems which I will not go into at this time. And, I have not gotten to trying to create my own action for this purpose. I was hoping to discover how to get the programs to behave the same in this matter be they installed on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows XP 32 bit.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR, I don't have a Windows 7 or 64-bit system. You will have to take over.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert J. Johnston

I do not frequent this forum as often as I would like, but I will watch my emails for additions to this thread. If Mapper53 needs any additional assists on this one, I will be glad to help.

Based on my experience,

a. You cannot use Photoshop Elements (not just version 10) in Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit to open the Premiere Elements DVD Menu .psd major Layer Sets. And, you do need to do that to get at the Picture Cube sub-layer sets apparently incorrectly named (^), instead of correctly named (^^). That (^^) to (^) automatic switch can typically be seen when the user is duplicating menu buttons in the menu .psd file. When this happens, the user has to be on alert for this and be ready to rename/correct the sublayer(s) from (^) to (^^). In my case, the Picture Cube menu came as a photoshop.com plus one, and I opted to stay with the free photoshop.com account. So, I cannot confirm first hand what you have observed. But, I do have another user at another site that I frequent who is experiencing the same symptoms with use of this Picture Cube menu.

b. You can do this when Photoshop Elements is in Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit as we both have observed.

If the user has Premiere Elements 10 in Windows 7 64 bit, then the alternative become

a. If available, do the menu corrections in Photoshop Elements in a Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit computer environment

or

b. If Photoshop CS or higher is available do the menu correction there. (Reason for the CS or higher, is related to the fact that Photoshop versions earlier than CS allowed for the major Layer Sets, but not the sublayers that are needed..)

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I have been following your discussion with Robert, with interest.

I find it odd, and alarming that it appears that PSE 10 cannot edit Layer Sets, when running on Win7-64. I would never have anticipated that, but am not in a position to help you narrow things down, and knowing your meticulous nature, do not doubt your findings at all.

I knew that PSE could not create Layer Sets, but, regardless of the OS, thought that it could edit them, and that is all required in this instance.

Though I've used Photoshop for about 20 years, I have never even seen PSE open, so am constantly learning something about it. The learning is continuing with your comments in this thread. Thanks for that.

Again, I will follow along.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Thanks for the comments and kind words.

This business with Photoshop Elements (and not just version 10) and those DVD Menu .psd Layer Sets and Windows 7 64 bit has really challenged my troubleshooting gene. I have tried going to another Windows 7 64 bit computer with the task, no success. I have tried disabling, removing, replacing the anti-virus program, no success. I have tried opening the .psd files in Photoshop Elements by different routes, no success. At this time, Photoshop Elements in Windows XP 32 bit is my only route to editing those DVD Menu .psd files.

Maybe Adobe or Steve Grisetti might see this discussion and offer comments and first hand observations on all this.

If any further developements in this matter, I will post.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points