Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Redefine form field property defaults

Feb 27, 2012 10:06 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Community Help

Is there a process to reset the defaults of any form field so that they will be fixed for future form fields.  For example, the 'check box' form field is currently set so that a "square" is the default.  I would like my defaults for all future 'check box' form fields to be a "cross" or a "check" and not have to change them each time I go through the process.  Is there a method to do this?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to JimPea

Yes, simply set the form field attributes you would like (i.e., cross) and close the Properties dialog. Next, select the field, right-click and select "Use Current Properties as New Defaults".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to LoriAUC

I have followed your instructions and those in the website help files to no avail.  The values return to their current default state.  I know how to change the values manually but, the document that I am working with has the same table (converted from MS Work into .pdf) in approximately 75-80 places throughtout the document.  Changing those values is both time-consuming and b-o-r-i-n-g.  I would like to set my default values so that every time I open Adobe Acrobat and create a similar form, the values will be the same in each document (different than what they currently are...) so that I do not have to reset each and every checkbox or text field.

Again, I have tried following instructions without success and I am no dummy (or, at least I don't think so!).  It is probably something simple that will slap me in the face when I "see it" but, I am no there yet!  Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to JimPea

If I understand you correctly, you would like the Auto Field Detection process in Acrobat to detect the fields properly for you when you initially create the form. If so, then this tutorial might help you understand what characteristics Acrobat is looking for (square boxes etc.) when running the form field recognition tool. Here is a link to the tutorial on Designing forms for auto field detection in Adobe Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,668 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to JimPea

There is a lot you can do with a simple JavaSript thay you can run after the Form Wizard has created the fields. For example, you can set the font and font size for all text fields, change the check box/radio button appearances, and most other field properties. If you'd like a sample script, just include some more details about the types of changes you typically make manually and I'd be happy to post one.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to LoriAUC

Thanks for your response(s) Lori.  See my answer to George below.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Thanks for your response George.  I think I am going to continue doing what I have been doing all along.  I had thought there would be a simple way to change the default values for the form fields in the files that I have been working with but, apparently not.  My attempts were to reset the defaults in the form fields so that when I created my next document/form, the form fields would already be set.  However, I am probably almost finished with the documents that I have been working with anyway and furthering this process may be overkill (since I am almost done). 

I do appreciate the quick responses given...thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to JimPea

Failure:

I started with an ordinary pdf file.  I do not know how to create a single form field so I let Acrobat create forms automatically.  I selected one of the new text box form fields.  I changed its font to Consolas 12.  I right-clicked on my field and checked "use current properties as new defaults."  Then I right clicked in a free area to create a new text box form field.  The new field had Helvetica font.   I conclude that "use current properties as new defaults" did not "take."  I tried saving and quitting and opening again - still no good.  Maybe the key is to create a single form field - can we do that?

Success:

I selected all the form fields and changed the font to Consolas 12.  But In multipage pdfs it is a little tricky and I hade to select using the pane that lists the fields.

Warning: do this before creating any check boxes - you don't want to change their font.

I really don't know what I'm doing and why this or that works.  I'd welcome your insights.

[Acrobat X Pro on Win XP]

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to George Johnson

I am just now reading this (June 2012) and would greatly appreciate seeing a script to do as you suggested (below) in reference to a quesion in the Adobe Forum Discussion "Redefine form field property defaults" Feb 27, 2012

George Johnson wrote:  There is a lot you can do with a simple JavaSript thay you can run after the Form Wizard has created the fields. For example, you can set the font and font size for all text fields, change the check box/radio button appearances, and most other field properties. If you'd like a sample script, just include some more details about the types of changes you typically make manually and I'd be happy to post one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to George Johnson

George, I realize this thread is over a year old, but I am having the same problem. I have a 100 page form with thousands of check boxes, and text fields. I've spent the last 2 weeks changing every field to Helvetica Bold & font size 10, as well as changing every check box style from Square to Cross

I am too far into it to restart from scratch. Any chance I could get some tips on a quick fix?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to Nizzo

This type of thing can be done in seconds, using a simple script, especially if you want to change the properties of all the fields of a certain type in your document.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Gilad, any chance you could assist?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Nizzo

Sure. Send me an email at try6767@gmail.com .

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points