Skip navigation
vaxa1
Currently Being Moderated

Saving symbols in an existing symbols file

Feb 28, 2012 7:47 AM

I use CS2.

I saved a symbols file with a few symbols in it.

I then create new .ai files - create some graphics then want to save some of them in the symbols file.

I dont see a way of saving symbols from the .ai file into the already existing symbols file.

Can someone please help?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to vaxa1

Open the symbols file directly in AI and past in your symbols (I think CS2 works the same way).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to vaxa1

Open the symbol library you want to add to, load all its symbols into the Symbols Panel along with the new symbol, then save symbols library with the same name, to replace the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to tromboniator

Thanks Tromboniator,

this is a drawn out process, I just had my first experience of this, would have been great to just open the existing symbols group panel and append a new symbol to it by dragging it into that library symbols panel. nothing new in that thought though, still i`ll drop it in the suggestions box.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to bluefire777

Just one of many cases of "Wouldn't it be nice if…/Wouldn't it make sense if…".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to tromboniator

oh yea !< haha, like automatic multi point radial symmettry on brushes. I guess being a big company with so many softwares, they want many people to say something about a specific idea before implimenting it, to prevent bloatware, and ROI efficiency from their programmers. all business related. still one can only ask. cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to tromboniator

I am trying to do this with CS6 and it saves in the File I created the Symbols LIbrary in, but when I try to open the Symbols LIbrary in a different document it stays the same as it was when I first created it. The only way I have found to add to an existing library is to add to it, then Save As a different name. I am wondering if there is a way to just Save with the original name when I add additional Symbols?

Chelsea

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to c-raesnyder

Post #1 from rcraighead has the answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to rcraighead

I find this doesnt work if I drag a new shape into a symbols palette that I had already created and opened via the pop up at the bottom of the symbols Panel "user defined".

I have to first open that pre existing symbols palette via "user define", drag those symbols into the main symbols panel, then drag the shape I want to add to those symbols, into the main symbols panel also, select them all, and from the pop up, select "save symbols...", and choose the previously named palette you want to replace and update.

I`d rather just drag the shape into a symols palette I created previously once I open it via "user defined"... quicker, is this available in CS6?

By the same token I cannot delete a symbol from a "user defined' symbols palette that I created. Even if I drag all the symbols in that palette to the main symbols panel, then delete selected symbols from there, and then save out all those symbols again as a group with the same name, if I then re open that symbols palette via "user defined", the symbols I deleted are still there !.

any differences in CS6 on this?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points