Skip navigation
TommyKovacs
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Media Encoder stopped working

Mar 1, 2012 1:30 PM

Forgive me but I can't find the Creative Suite CS4 so I post here. I had a completed project that I wanted to export to *.avi. Clicking on export function I got a white screen. Tried to reinstall but as you know it doesn't install on its own so I reinstalled After Effects CS4 and Flash Professional. Run the updater and tried again. No luck. Please help me I have no idea what else to do.

Would an unintall-reinstall help or is there a simpler solution.

My computer is: Mesh with processor: E8500@3.16GHz, 3.17 GHz

4.00 Gb Memory

64-bit Op system

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

Had the same problem since the last update CS5 5.03. When exporting from Premiere CS5 to AME (Adobe Media Encoder), the encoder hung up while loading "ImporterRED.prm".

Trying to start Media Encoder by itself also hung up when loading the same codec.

Solution: Find the files "ImporterRED.prm" (I found 3) in your Adobe program files and rename or delete them. BAM. AME starts.

Another general fix that I'll add here is that the Premiere "prefs" file gets currupted every once in a while and last year for me, stopped AME from loading.

Find and delete this file (User(you)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0 (or whatever version)\Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs) or hold shift+ctrl+alt while starting the program to reset it. Here's more info

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2009/11/having_weird_behavior_wi th_an.html

Sucks when it takes 2 hours to edit a project and 2 more fix AME.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

Start AME directly (Adobe Media Encoder.exe) and see which codec is being loaded when it hangs up and before the screen goes white. Then delete that codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Tommy,

I replied to your PM.

First, I have been using CS5 and CS5.5 for what seems like ages, so my experience with CS4 is rather out-of-date, but I get the feeling that one or more AME modules is corrupt, so a repair install may be your best bet. If that does not solve it, even after having reset your preferences and plug-in cache, then my next suggestion is a fresh install. I have outlined the process in my PM.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

Great. Looks like you fixed it and AME's looking for your original encoding request/ project. Start AME from Premiere and it should work, with your old video project displayed, where you can delete it.

The original problem was maybe that the windows media codecs were not updated, but your Adobe files were, making them incompatable. Updating anything in the middle of a project is a bad idea and is what happened to me with the RED codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

Maybe give it what it wants? Try rename an existing project and put it there. Otherwise AME was not completely unistalled. For PC, use a resistry cleaner like the free CC cleaner. It might find and delete that resistry entry

I talked to an Adobe rep last year and he said that CS5.5 AME had a major overhaul after I complained about AME crashing and hanging so often. I have CS4 and CS5 AME and both are pretty flaky.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

It sounds drastic but doing a clean install (search for anything that says adobe and delete it as there is an AME file lurking somewhere) will take a few hours while you're hopefully doing something else. Also update quicktime and windows media player.

Going to another editing system will just give you another round of headaches. Complex programs all have issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to TommyKovacs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to TommyKovacs

Hello,

I read that the cleaner tool didn't work. Premiere CS5 has the option of sending it to AME or encoding right from the timeline. Render times seem about the same.

Must be your "dynamic link" that's broken. This crashes my system every time I touch the keyboard while it's making a copy of the project file for AME.

I've also found that I need to reboot after editing with a complicated codec like h.264 before encoding if I don't want my system to hang.

CS4 only lets you render one thing at a time anyway, so hopefully you have that option of encoding right from the timeline. Otherwise After Effects becomes your encoding engine until starting from scratch.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points