Skip navigation
158jot
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign: full page with bleed?!

Mar 2, 2012 11:13 PM

Tags: #cs4 #cs5 #cs3 #indesign #indesign_cs5.5 #layout #indesign_cs5 #indesign_bleed

Hi all, if i'm given an specific ad size of only:

- Full Page with bleed - 8 x 10.5 (inches)

- Non bleed size - 7.25 x 9.8 (inches)

Does it mean:

- page size: 8 x 10.5 (inches) 

- bleed & slug: 0 

- Margin: 0.375 (inches) for all sides 

i'm puzzled if there is a need for trim area if there isn't any measurement provided..

Hope someone could help me out please?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2012 11:34 PM   in reply to 158jot

Full page with bleed :- 8 x 10.5 (inches) already include the trim area as the bleed .

Non-bleed size - 7.25 x 9.8 is the actual paper size which  will be the output after trimming.

Your page size might be7.25 x 9.8 inches , but you might need to print on a larger piece of paper or film to accommodate any printer’s marks or the bleed and slug areas.

Hence :-

Paper size:- 7.25 x 9.8 (inches)

Bleed size :- 0.75 x 0.7 (inches)

Also see the link to have the better understanding:-

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-7088a.html

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 2, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to 158jot

I believe you do not have enough information, but it is not as you describe (8x10.5 w/ 3/8 margin).

They have not specified what the amount of the bleed is.

Do you have a sample of the printed magazine (or whatever) to examine/measure?

Perhaps "full page with bleed" means the size of the page plus the bleed,  which case you might assume 1/8" and then your page is really 7 3/4 x 10 1/4. I think this is unlikely.

Perhaps "full page with bleed" means "this is the size of the full page, oops we forgot to tell you the amount of the bleed." In which case it ix 8x10 1/2 plus a 1/8 bleed (or whatever). I think this is marginally more likely.

I do not think Manish is correct.

Takeaway: you need to talk to a technical person in production to determine what is really going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

@ john ,

In the Post there are 2 size :

Full Page with bleed - 8 x 10.5 (inches) 

The second is without bleed and the first one with it hence we can know the bleed size from it. Can't we.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 1:04 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

No. I agree with John.

This kind of spec would be faily typical of a magazine, for example, where the back cover or other special pages might allow full-page full bleed ads, but the typical non-bleed full-page ad floats on the page with a .375 margin all around.

Incomplete specs like this drive me crazy. You have to call for clarification.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 3, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

(Wow, I said "marginally more likely" -- no pun was intended, but I think it's pretty funny!!)

Manish (do you work for Adobe?) wrote:

In the Post there are 2 size :

Full Page with bleed - 8 x 10.5 (inches) 

The second is without bleed and the first one with it hence we can know the bleed size from it. Can't we.

So, the whole point of a bleed is to define three regions: 1) the interor space, bounded by the margin, where you're guaranteed to not come near to the trim, 2) the bleed area, which is a danger zone; once a page object touches this area, it is danger of being trimmed, but it might never happen 3) the actual trim area (and slug), where we're guaranteed the content will be cut off.

If we were to just subtract the provided 7.25x9.8 from the provided 8x10.5 and say that our bleed area was 3/8" on a side, then that would mean if we put an image touching the margin, it would be touching the bleed area. That doesn't really make sense. Because the standard practice with bleeds is if you touch the bleed line, then you should go all the way to the trim line.

The other reason this doesn't make sense is that 3/4" is 9.4% of 8". That is a lot of page to waste on a bleed. And, indeed. 3/8" is a rather large amount for a bleed, at least at these sizes. (If you were cutting billboards, different story...).

Oh, and also, knowledge of magazine layouts gives us some more information, as Peter mentioned. It's quite common that a full page ad is allowed to bleed all the way, but otherwise all content on the page (advertising as well as Real Content) is kept within a margin, like 3/8". So there is a 3/8" border between the page edge and any content.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Thanks John for the clarification , I am in the learning phase hence wouldn't have thought to such an extend and also I agree with the peter that if their would have been more clarification regarding the page size description then I would haven't made this mistake.

Thanks!!!!!  for making me correct.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points