• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel into InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone aware of a way to import an excel table into InDesign? The table must be editable in InDesign after it's imported.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File>Import will do this. You have the choice of selecting Import options to choose what part of the sheet to import, and whether to format it to an InDesign table style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response – do I save the excel in a certain format? I’m not having any luck; when I save the excel and import it into inDesign I cannot modify the imported info. Any thoughts on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea. When I import exel into InDesign, I get an editable, formattable table. If the file is something you can share, you could upload it to usendit or another file-sharing service and post the link here. I or someone else here could take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the file I¹ve been trying to import into indesign ­ thanks so much

for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum does not allow attached files; can you upload it to a server and send me the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BuS3duTkE4Q1FYRHNUQw

Here you go; thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I put that into my InDesign file, it was editable. Would it be possible to send the InDesign file in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BuS3dsT01sUi81SE1UQw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using copy>paste to get the excel info into InDesign? That is the only way I could replicate your problem.

From your InDesign document, go to the File menu, and chose Place. Be sure to check the box for Show Import Options, and choose Formatted Table. that will get you the result you need.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Thank you! I was doing it wrong; duh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

File>place is the way all content from other applications should be added to InDesign. Save copy>paste for moving things from one InDesign document to another, or one page to another.

I'm glad I was able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try this, I get little red dots and no data appears.  Is that beacuse I am trying to import a table that has formulas in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little red dots mean the text is overset in the cells, i.e. they are not large enough to hold the data as it is formatted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though it came straight from Excel like that?  I am trying to import a table that has a 6pt font and keep it same size in InDesign.  I had a feeling this was going to be the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing, or pasting? Have you defined cell styles with the correct formatting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying the "place" option, using the instructions above.  The "paste" option doesn't bring over any of the grid lines - unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible!!

The cells are formatted in Excel how we want them.  It is basically a table/chart of tool sizes and diameters that I wanted to get into InDesign so we can do layouts for our formal catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show the import options when you place and make sure you've selected Formatted Table...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could still result in overset cells because of InDesign's

insistence of having cell insets as the default.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried formatted, unformatted and formatted only once options and I still get the red dots.

Bob - Is it safe to assume there is really nothing I can do other than copy and paste the info and just have to mess with the grid lines some other way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the table and set the cell insets to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Saunders wrote a script long ago that set the insets of all linked tables to zero. Not sure it would work with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - THAT WORKED!!!  I think I love you!!!

Thank you SO much for your suggestions everyone!!!!  You all just saved me a LOT of anguish!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, where after I place the formatted excel doc into Indesign, I get a red dot and no data. The excel file I'm trying to place is directly exported from Quickbooks Enterprise Solutions. I've tested placing other excel docs and they seem to work fine. Any Ideas why export from Quick books isn't working? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to make the cells bigger. The red dot indicates overset.

The problem is most likely the cell insets. Change them to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines