Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Basic XMP Meta-data builder

Mar 5, 2012 11:20 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #images #xmp #metadata

Hey all,

I am not a programmer and though I have been using Adobe Photoshop since 1988, I have never really gotten into the meta-data side of things until this latest project.

I remember once that I used Photoshop's XMP metadata features to create a simple template in which I could enter custom meta-data about my image. It was perfect for what I am doing now.

But now, in CS5, I have started to question whether I have just gotten too old (at 42) to handle this or whether it has been so bloated out of proportion in complexity that I just don't have the patience to figure it out.

I need to record some basic information about some paintings that I have taken photos of and I have the information in a sql database, but it would be nicer to embed the information in the image.

If I could embed this information in my images, it would be great:

• Painting Data: (information about the material photographed not the photograph)
    • naming
      • title (formal)
      • title (informal)
      • subtitle
      • version
    • series
      • title
      • name
      • number
    • materials
      • descr
      • colors
      • background
    • dimensions
      • width
      • height
      • hw ratio
      • orientation
    • date
  • Image Data   (refers to information about the actual file and how it is used)
    • filename
    • filepath
    • sizing type
    • source file name
    • source file path
    • source pixel ratio
    • width pixels
    • height pixels
    • ppi
    • uses
  • Copyright info

But I was hoping to do this without having to learn C++, install Eclipse or piece together bits and pieces from other XMP profiles. Is there any possible way to convert a simple data set like this into xmp metadata?

It seems like there should be a web-app that does it.

Anyways, I'm looking at other sources now, but I would love to know if Adobe is equipped to handle this sort of thing or should I look elsewhere. Thanks as always for your support and/or input.

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points