Skip navigation
nudomi
Currently Being Moderated

Using Digidesign Digi002 or Digi002R with Audition 3.0, monitoring problem

Mar 5, 2012 1:44 PM

Tags: #monitoring #audition_3.0 #digidesign #protools #digi002 #digi002r

Hi.... I'm running into problem with Audition 3.0, attempting to incorporate a Digidesign Digi002R interface.   I have the standalone Digidesign audio drivers loaded (tried both 7.4 and 8.0), and have the ASIO Digidesign Driver selected in the Audio Hardware setup for all three ops - Edit, Multitrack, and Surround.  Can play back files just fine.  Attempting to record, however, produces no real-time audio.  I can see that I'm recording (real-time waveform activity on the recorded track), and can play back the resulting waveform, but get no real-time audio monitoring while actually recording, (nor when the track is record-armed but not actually recording).  I've tried ASIO4ALL to no avail.  Have tried all relevant outputs on the Digi002R.  Sounds great in playback mode... I'd really like to use this beast to record.  But monitoring signal is not present, in spite of the how-to for monitoring instructions in the Digi user manual (which is really ProTools specific).  Switching to Audition 3.0 Windows Sound switches the available I/O ports only to the Realtek onboard soundcard in the motherboard, which would be decidedly inferior to use for recording (and only has 3.5mm inputs/outputs anyway).  I admittedly have not patched them up yet. Marrying the ProTools interface to Audition 3.0 apparently is dicey in some cases, but I've read about others' success and can't seem to locate the trouble.  Ideas?

Windows XP-SP3, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4gb RAM  (Audition 3.0.1 patch installed)

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 6, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to nudomi

Well, a lack of monitoring is definitely the province of the sound device, and not Audition. In fact, to test the settings shouldn't require any audio software other than the Digi driver running at all. What's actually missing is the internal link between whatever input you are using and the Digi monitor output. On most sound device apps that's a separate input into the output mixer, or somewhere you have to put a check in a box to enable the monitor output feed. Last time I heard, there were separate ASIO drivers for ProTools and 'other' software - are you sure that it's the correct one you are using?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 7, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to nudomi

I very much get the impression that there are more fans of the device than there are fans of the drivers for it...

Essentially you are using the Audition version of PT low-latency monitoring - ie, the signal gets fed into Audition and fed out again, and it's the fed out again version you're listening to. This option simply isn't available in Edit view, which is, accordingly, why it won't work...

So yes you have a workaround - but you haven't actually fixed the problem with the sound device, unfortunately - which is what you'd have to do to be able to monitor the input in Edit view

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points